Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #1561
MAGIC...itis!
Closer to Fulfilling My Quest to Stay at Every Resort...So far... AKL, ASmo, ASmu, ASsp, BC.3, BLT, BWI, CBR, CR.4, CSR.2, GF, OKW, POFQ, POL.3, POP.2, POR.9, WL, YC.2

Location: RC Land ________________________ My banana won't dance... might this be a sign?

chimo2u: Continued positive and happy thoughts and prayers going to your DH. The diversion of the Dis is priceless, so please continue to take full advantage of its healing powers for yourself so you can remin strong for DH.

sjs314 & grumpygrandma: When I was a little girl I thought Rowan and Martin were just dreamy.

babyberger: Happy belated birthday to your DD! Hope you enjoyed your girls day.

koh1977: With all the AKL talk I forgot to mention this... IMO stick with CR DXL! It is very quiet over in the Garden Wing as well. I like that because you really feel removed from the hustle and bustle. Then when you are ready, it is just a short covered walk to the "action" of the Tower. ....I like your binder btw. Enjoy doodling with it.

peteykirch: Do you have your costume picked out yet? I like your itinerary so far. I would do one of your free days with AKL. If you haven't gone in a while... try it again. Our AKL day is a relaxing respite from the hectic days at WDW. Maybe sleep in just a little and then do a Boma breakfast (best in all WDW imo). Take some time to walk around at AKL resort to digest breakfast and do animal and people watching (the people are usually scarier imo ), and then stop at the gift shop before heading over to AK. We spend lots of time near Dino and Primeval Whirl. And we always watch the AKL parade there since it's small and intimate and you can walk right up and enjoy it. Then I'd suggest Yak & Yeti for dinner (a very pleasant surprise for us) before you leave AK. Then you have the rest of the evening to enjoy some other WDW fun.

disneydreamin247: Yahoo for almost ADR day. I like your BOG / Kona idea a lot!!! I'm with you on Crystal Palace. We do like LTT. And we like the Plaza especially if w have a big breakfast or dinner planned for the same day.

I_Heart: Off you go! Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #1562
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
How about The Plaza? We try to hit it every trip.
The Plaza vs. Tony's Town Square? Thoughts?

And how was lunch at BOG anyone who's been?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #1563
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
How about The Plaza? We try to hit it every trip.
I used to love The Plaza, but the new menu doesn't really appeal to me like it used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
We ate at BOG before the Christmas Party in Nov
I hope we can get an ADR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Kona or Ohana are our Favs! I also like The GF Cafe.
We love both too! 'Ohana is our arrival night tradition. I feel like if we didn't eat there first I would spend the entire trip looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGIC...itis! View Post
chimo2u: Continued positive and happy thoughts and prayers going to your DH. The diversion of the Dis is priceless, so please continue to take full advantage of its healing powers for yourself so you can remin strong for DH.

sjs314 & grumpygrandma: When I was a little girl I thought Rowan and Martin were just dreamy.

babyberger: Happy belated birthday to your DD! Hope you enjoyed your girls day.

koh1977: With all the AKL talk I forgot to mention this... IMO stick with CR DXL! It is very quiet over in the Garden Wing as well. I like that because you really feel removed from the hustle and bustle. Then when you are ready, it is just a short covered walk to the "action" of the Tower. ....I like your binder btw. Enjoy doodling with it.

peteykirch: Do you have your costume picked out yet? I like your itinerary so far. I would do one of your free days with AKL. If you haven't gone in a while... try it again. Our AKL day is a relaxing respite from the hectic days at WDW. Maybe sleep in just a little and then do a Boma breakfast (best in all WDW imo). Take some time to walk around at AKL resort to digest breakfast and do animal and people watching (the people are usually scarier imo ), and then stop at the gift shop before heading over to AK. We spend lots of time near Dino and Primeval Whirl. And we always watch the AKL parade there since it's small and intimate and you can walk right up and enjoy it. Then I'd suggest Yak & Yeti for dinner (a very pleasant surprise for us) before you leave AK. Then you have the rest of the evening to enjoy some other WDW fun.

disneydreamin247: Yahoo for almost ADR day. I like your BOG / Kona idea a lot!!! I'm with you on Crystal Palace. We do like LTT. And we like the Plaza especially if w have a big breakfast or dinner planned for the same day.

I_Heart: Off you go! Enjoy!
I think we may take on the DxDDP this in October. I am going to crunch numbers.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #1564
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmm...should I take a poll? :-) AKL Pool View with bunk beds vs. CR GW deluxe? AKL is about $475 less than CR. And we do have a car if that makes a difference.

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #1565
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post

That's us too Lacey!! We like to take the first flight out, but if we can't we usually go late the night before and go straight to WDW.
My biggest concern is that first flight isn't direct but we land 2 hours before the first direct flight lands. It's an easy connection in Atlanta though. I just hate to be so tired on night one! But we may have another trip two weeks later with the kids. If so, I would prefer to save the money from that extra night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Hello to all of you!
Kiddo's school district cancelled again today. Can't get the busses out to collect kids due to the flooding. The lake near our house flooded so high it's close to the back entrance of her school. Thankfully we didn't lose power so the "Little Sump Pump That Could" keeps chugging along. Local roads and bridges are still impassable. ... and it snowed a bit this morning.

APs are kinda up in the air now since we now need to replace these leaking windows in our dining room... and the flooring afterward. Eesh.
Stay dry miss E! :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post

We did the early flight last year and it was awesome getting in that early! This year we'll be offsite the night before, so again, we can get to the resort early morning!

:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Thanks guys! I like this plan way better. Truth be told, I am only excited for a cruise for a very short while so if I have to wait and wait, I lose my interest. There isn't much planning to do like there is with WDW! SO now we ar probably doing 8 or 9 nights in October. This is actually perfect for me.
I really want to cruise but you have to book sooooo far in advance to get the best rates!
Quote:

I am MK resort biased as well.

Jen Happy Birthday to your little one!!!
If we do a second trip in Oct, we will do an MK resort. We will likely decide based on price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post

So there's my review of the food at AK .... more than you asked for!!!

First let me say that we always travel during off time so none of the pools are crowded. I've only stayed at BCV once so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I enjoyed the pool and the deck area .... nice place to sit. My DS (who was 30 at the time) stayed at YC for a convention .... he loved the slide ... says he was about the only adult using it. I find SAB to be fun and active.

I really like both pools at AK. The one at Kidani is great but I think the best thing about it is the kids water play area. I love the pool at Jambo. DD and I always find a spot out in the middle to stand, talk, do water exercises. To me the pool at Jambo is one of the most relaxing on property.

And as an added bonus: favorite pool music ... CB and OKW!!!
Your food reviews made me hungry!

Love both Jambo pool and SAB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch View Post
I've been trying to figure out a rough itinerary for my trip in October;

Oct 27th Arrival Day

Land 9:05AM, hopefully get to Poly by 10:30

Magic Kingdom, late lunch at LTT, back to Poly change into costume, head back to MK around 4ish for MNSSHP

Oct 28th

Breakfast - Kona 7:30 > Epcot > F&W Festival for Lunch > Dinner at Citricos (Cali Grill if open)

Oct 29th

Breakfast - The Wave 7:30 > Magic Kingdom > BoG Lunch? > Dinner at Artist Point

Oct 30th

Breakfast - GFC 7:30 > Studios > Downtown Disney > Lunch at Raglan Road > ????

Oct 31st and Nov 1st I'm drawing blanks at the moment. I'm on the fence on if I want to go to AK at all.
Looks good so far. A couple comments - on the 29th, BOG lunch might be heavy on top of sit down breakfast and signature dinner. Might want to move one of the three.

On the 30th, lunch at. DD doesn't give much park time at HS. Maybe lunch at Studios and dinner at Raglan Road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
hello my friends! I'm still here, sorry I've been negligent in posting -- life has just been so up in the air the last 2 months, sometimes I forget what day it is
Marie
Big hugs my friend!
Quote:
peteykirch: Do you have your costume picked out yet? I like your itinerary so far. I would do one of your free days with AKL. If you haven't gone in a while... try it again. Our AKL day is a relaxing respite from the hectic days at WDW. Maybe sleep in just a little and then do a Boma breakfast (best in all WDW imo). Take some time to walk around at AKL resort to digest breakfast and do animal and people watching (the people are usually scarier imo ), and then stop at the gift shop before heading over to AK. We spend lots of time near Dino and Primeval Whirl. And we always watch the AKL parade there since it's small and intimate and you can walk right up and enjoy it. Then I'd suggest Yak & Yeti for dinner (a very pleasant surprise for us) before you leave AK. Then you have the rest of the evening to enjoy some other WDW fun.:
Love love those AKL plans!

MM and I heart - hope you are having a ball!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #1566
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh heck let's just all date ourselves! I just loved that show. Isn't is strange how all the actors have aged so much and I HAVEN'T!!!

Sanaa .... we always start with the bread service. Our first time there we tried a sample of various different breads but weren't crazy about a couple of them so now we stick to the plain naan. Then we get slow cooked in gravy .... we've tried most of the choices except the lamb and have liked them all. The butter chicken is the least spicy. If it's DD and I this is all we get and share it all. If we have someone else with us we add in vegetarian sampler. This has always been enough for 3.

Mara .... my favorite there is the African stew.

Jiko .... haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

Boma ... really enjoyed it but we ate there so much that I kind of got burned out on it. We've only done breakfast once but really enjoyed it.

As for zebra domes I'm one of the few that really don't like.

DD and I will be at AKV for seven nights in Oct/Nov .... plans include dinner at Sanaa, breakfast at Boma, and for the first time lunch at Sanaa on a pool day.

So there's my review of the food at AK .... more than you asked for!!!

First let me say that we always travel during off time so none of the pools are crowded. I've only stayed at BCV once so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I enjoyed the pool and the deck area .... nice place to sit. My DS (who was 30 at the time) stayed at YC for a convention .... he loved the slide ... says he was about the only adult using it. I find SAB to be fun and active.

I really like both pools at AK. The one at Kidani is great but I think the best thing about it is the kids water play area. I love the pool at Jambo. DD and I always find a spot out in the middle to stand, talk, do water exercises. To me the pool at Jambo is one of the most relaxing on property.

And as an added bonus: favorite pool music ... CB and OKW!!!
I somehow missed this post before?? Thanks for your reviews!! IF we go with AKL, I'm thinking a breakfast and/or dinner at Boma would be good!! :-) And it's good to know the pool is nice as well. :-) Although the kids water area at Kidani looks much cooler than the tiny wading pool at Jambo. :-/ But I do like the idea of zero entry with the kiddos vs CR's pool!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1567
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I somehow missed this post before?? Thanks for your reviews!! IF we go with AKL, I'm thinking a breakfast and/or dinner at Boma would be good!! :-) And it's good to know the pool is nice as well. :-) Although the kids water area at Kidani looks much cooler than the tiny wading pool at Jambo. :-/ But I do like the idea of zero entry with the kiddos vs CR's pool!

It's really a quick walk between Jambo and Kidani. I usually stay at Jambo but walk over to Sanaa .... maybe 8 to 10 minutes .... or of course you could take the bus.

AK or CR????? Only time will tell!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #1568
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's really a quick walk between Jambo and Kidani. I usually stay at Jambo but walk over to Sanaa .... maybe 8 to 10 minutes .... or of course you could take the bus.

AK or CR????? Only time will tell!!!
Can non DVC members use the Kidani pool though? Because you can't at the CR...

Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1569
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can non DVC members use the Kidani pool though? Because you can't at the CR...

As far as I know yes. But since you are really interested in the kids water play area I'd check. I see you're on the AK Lite thread so why don't you ask over there .... they are really nice and as you know have a lot of info.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #1570
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

How is the CR pool? I think we are definitely going to stay there in October!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #1571
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've only used the pool at BLT so that probably doesn't help you a lot. My grandkids liked it but they were probably a little older than your kids when we were there.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #1572
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247
The boys liked it, they were younger the last time we stayed there. Justin- 15- said it was a normal, Disney hotel pool.
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #1573
peteykirch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm pretty certain I'm going as a baseball player. I got a 1961 Seattle Rainiers jersey I ordered coming in, and I'll put up a pair of baseball pants, and some red/blue stirrups.

I stayed at the AKL quite a while ago, it was nice, and I'd easily stay there again, but the lack of transportation is a big negative to me, unless I was to rent a car for the week.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #1574
peteykirch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post

Looks good so far. A couple comments - on the 29th, BOG lunch might be heavy on top of sit down breakfast and signature dinner. Might want to move one of the three.

On the 30th, lunch at. DD doesn't give much park time at HS. Maybe lunch at Studios and dinner at Raglan Road?
I don't know if I'm going to book the Wave, I am going to definitely try it at least once though, from what I heard it's one of the more underrated breakfast spots in the World. I might just pick up a pastry or something that day.

I intend on doing a Signature for every dinner, and I'm just hoping that the Cali Grille is open by the end of October, I'd seriously go there twice in a week if I could.

Well to be honest, I'm not into the thrill rides, so I wouldn't be spending a ton of time sitting in line for the Aerosmith Coaster or Tower of Terror.

I was thinking of having Lunch at Sci Fi, but I think it'd be a bit awkward sharing a car with some other family. I'm an awkward introvert like that.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #1575
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Ok, further research has led me to not want to pick CR. Why do I have to love the Poly so much?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: