Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #1516
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Hehehe. Sometimes I wonder if it would be so bad to just go with the kids since he doesn't really enjoy it himself...

Now I guess I need to decide whether we stay at CR or if we indeed go to AKL instead. Although to stay within the budget we have now, it'd have to be a pool view bunk bed room instead of savannah bunk bed room...we'd save almost $500 that way...?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
When I stayed at AKL I did a Standard Room and I have to say between the things to see within the resort(displays) and all the animals outside I really did not miss seeing the savanah from my room. ALso Boma's is the best Breakfast buffet onsite IMO.

If I keep this up I will talk myself right out of the Poly and into AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1517
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post

When I stayed at AKL I did a Standard Room and I have to say between the things to see within the resort(displays) and all the animals outside I really did not miss seeing the savanah from my room. ALso Boma's is the best Breakfast buffet onsite IMO.

See, THIS is why I can't ever make up my mind and keep changing things... :-)

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #1518
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sheila sorry but you're not allowed to change. I am making you stick with Poly!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #1519
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I was up most of the night. I have been sleeping in a recliner downstairs in the living room since the pain is intolerable when I lay down, but of course both kids knew I was down there and neither could just leave me be. Now I have work in an hour and slept about an hour. Every time I would doze off one of them would start their shenanigans.
I saw your later post that your tooth is feeling better so that at least is good news! There really must be some sort of alarm that goes off in the kids head every time mama falls asleep!!! Hope you manage to get a nap this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Hehehe. Sometimes I wonder if it would be so bad to just go with the kids since he doesn't really enjoy it himself...

Now I guess I need to decide whether we stay at CR or if we indeed go to AKL instead. Although to stay within the budget we have now, it'd have to be a pool view bunk bed room instead of savannah bunk bed room...we'd save almost $500 that way...?

The savannah view rooms at AKL are really fun but I will tell you the pool view rooms are really pretty especially at night. I love watching the animals especially in the morning drinking my coffee. But remember the animals are put to bed and I found that at night you were just looking at empty land. Don't get me wrong it was very peaceful and quiet. I found that I enjoyed the pool view in the morning but also loved it at night .... loved the way the lights looked on the water. Disclaimer: I am a total water person .... pools, lakes, rivers, oceans ... if it's wet I love it!!!! So my opinion might be a little biased. Also remember there are plenty of places to watch the animals thruout the resort .... love those rocking chairs!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1520
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And Sanaa is my new favorite dinner!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #1521
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post

I saw your later post that your tooth is feeling better so that at least is good news! There really must be some sort of alarm that goes off in the kids head every time mama falls asleep!!! Hope you manage to get a nap this afternoon.

The savannah view rooms at AKL are really fun but I will tell you the pool view rooms are really pretty especially at night. I love watching the animals especially in the morning drinking my coffee. But remember the animals are put to bed and I found that at night you were just looking at empty land. Don't get me wrong it was very peaceful and quiet. I found that I enjoyed the pool view in the morning but also loved it at night .... loved the way the lights looked on the water. Disclaimer: I am a total water person .... pools, lakes, rivers, oceans ... if it's wet I love it!!!! So my opinion might be a little biased. Also remember there are plenty of places to watch the animals thruout the resort .... love those rocking chairs!!!
I too love the water, so maybe pool view wouldn't be bad if we do switch. And then DH wouldn't complain about the smell so much. ;-) which he is convinced would be awful considering it'll be August...

He's still crabby and I'm still a bit upset about the way he handled things last night, so...we're not discussing it right now...

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #1522
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

I'm very lucky, my DH loves to stay at the Grand. He also doesn't want to know how much anything is, assumes I will handle it all and that it will work out . That's not a Disney thing, he never wants to know how much anything costs!
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1523
peteykirch
Mouseketeer

So, I'm finally figuring out how I want to plan my trip out.

The first day I'm arriving, I think I want to do MNSSHP, so I'm trying to figure out if I want to schedule a dinner reservation, or just have a late lunch. Ideally it seems people suggest getting to the MK around 4pm for the party, and well I wouldn't want to bother getting in a costume then going to dinner at say Be Our Guest.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #1524
MAGIC...itis!
Closer to Fulfilling My Quest to Stay at Every Resort...So far... AKL, ASmo, ASmu, ASsp, BC.3, BLT, BWI.2, CBR, CR.4, CSR.2, GF, OKW, POFQ, POL.3, POP.2, POR.9, WL, YC.2

Location: RC Land ________________________ My banana won't dance... might this be a sign?

sjs314: You bet your BIPPIE you are sticking with Poly. (Laugh In reference, anyone?)

disneydreamin247: Put me down for a BIG CR vote also! Yup, cabanas will hopefully put you over... I sure hope you are feeling better. Toothaches are the worst.

grumpygrandma: Sanaa, eh? I'm game. Do tell why...

jennyjinx: Happy belated brithday to DD. Great candid shot!

miss: Ugh. So sorry to hear about he flooding. Darn Chicago. The Horror. My nephew's home in M.G. floods every April.

petey: Love your new Epcot 30 hoodie. You'll look snazzy jazzy for your trip. And I was just contemplating the same dilemma: BOG before MNSSHP, or no BOG before MNSSHP... that is the question!!!

DetTigGal: My DH is exactly the same way. He does NOT want to know price. I suspect he thinks it will ruin his trip if he knows. He is perfectly thrilled to let me do 98% of the planning, and sometimes he even has a good suggestion about where to stay or eat. I am always surprised because I assumed he wasn't paying much attention. But he is getting pretty WDW savvy after all this time. It also makes it easy that he likes most dining cuisines and is easygoing about Resorts. The only WDW Resort he hasn't liked for some reason is the Mansions section of POR before this last renovation. He said he felt like he was at a bad roadside Quality Inn. Yikes! I do think he'd like the newest reno with the themed headboards... well, maybe.

koh1977: IMO AKL Pool View and staying in budget = two big pluses. Although I just can't seem to stay there, I do visit AKL regularly. I plan on picking Pool View when I finally stay. That pool area looks to be just such a very inviting view. With animals adjacent to the pool enclosure when I am there and with the other viewing spots scattered around the Resort, I personally don't feel the overwhelming need to have a Savannah view room. The Pool View room locations looks to be pretty convenient too.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #1525
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGIC...itis! View Post
sjs314: You bet your BIPPIE you are sticking with Poly. (Laugh In reference, anyone?)

disneydreamin247: Put me down for a BIG CR vote also! Yup, cabanas will hopefully put you over... I sure hope you are feeling better. Toothaches are the worst.

miss: Ugh. So sorry to hear about he flooding. Darn Chicago. The Horror. My nephew's home in M.G. floods every April.

petey: Love your new Epcot 30 hoodie. You'll look snazzy jazzy for your trip. And I was just contemplating the same dilemma: BOG before MNSSHP, or no BOG before MNSSHP... that is the question!!!

DetTigGal: My DH is exactly the same way. He does NOT want to know price. I suspect he thinks it will ruin his trip if he knows. He is perfectly thrilled to let me do 98% of the planning, and sometimes he even has a good suggestion about where to stay or eat. I am always surprised because I assumed he wasn't paying much attention. But he is getting pretty WDW savvy after all this time. It also makes it easy that he likes most dining cuisines and is easygoing about Resorts. The only WDW Resort he hasn't liked for some reason is the Mansions section of POR before this last renovation. He said he felt like he was at a bad roadside Quality Inn. Yikes! I do think he'd like the newest reno with the themed headboards... well, maybe.

koh1977: IMO AKL Pool View and staying in budget = two big pluses. Although I just can't seem to stay there, I do visit AKL regularly. I plan on picking Pool View when I finally stay. That pool area looks to be just such a very inviting view. With animals adjacent to the pool enclosure when I am there and with the other viewing spots scattered around the Resort, I personally don't feel the overwhelming need to have a Savannah view room. The Pool View room locations looks to be pretty convenient too.
MAGIC Dating yourself again and that would be "sweet bippie"

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #1526
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing about convenience...near the Mara to refill mugs, near the pool obviously, near the laundry too I believe? And lobby/bus stop...I know CR would be more "convenient," and it's a much bigger room (twice the size almost?) but I'm wondering if AKL would be somewhat quieter and more relaxing because you're not tempted to take a quick trip over to MK or EP or something? Not sure. Certainly not breaching the subject until I'm sure though! I don't want to lose the deluxe room either until I know for sure as well.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #1527
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Hello lovely ladies.

Hope you're able to get some sleep tonight, Dani. Poor you.

Sheila: You mentioning AKL has me all... I keep thinking back to Heather's TR. She's such a temptress, that one. I'll stick with the Poly cheerleaders though.

Magic & Petey: That is quite the dilemma. I'm thinking of doing a MNSSHP again this year, too -- so we might all be in the same proverbial boat. I do want to try BOG.

Magic: Hope your nephew was spared from this latest deluge.

Koh: Feeling your pain. AKL is so pretty. I'm going to stay there one of these days... I MUST stay there one of these days.

GG: Since you love the pool at AKL, how is the size of it? I'm just wondering how it would compare to SAB. I mean, I know SAB is huge, but whenever we go, we always seem to have a part of it all to ourselves. Does the pool at AKL ever seem "crowded" or is it big enough to feel like you've got some space?

Melissa: Hope she's enjoying herself today!

to all of ya!

~~------------------------~~

I am safe from flooding because our sweet Melissa "sent" me a canoe. We've got to get a drinks cooler installed in it though.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #1528
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh heck let's just all date ourselves! I just loved that show. Isn't is strange how all the actors have aged so much and I HAVEN'T!!!

Sanaa .... we always start with the bread service. Our first time there we tried a sample of various different breads but weren't crazy about a couple of them so now we stick to the plain naan. Then we get slow cooked in gravy .... we've tried most of the choices except the lamb and have liked them all. The butter chicken is the least spicy. If it's DD and I this is all we get and share it all. If we have someone else with us we add in vegetarian sampler. This has always been enough for 3.

Mara .... my favorite there is the African stew.

Jiko .... haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

Boma ... really enjoyed it but we ate there so much that I kind of got burned out on it. We've only done breakfast once but really enjoyed it.

As for zebra domes I'm one of the few that really don't like.

DD and I will be at AKV for seven nights in Oct/Nov .... plans include dinner at Sanaa, breakfast at Boma, and for the first time lunch at Sanaa on a pool day.

So there's my review of the food at AK .... more than you asked for!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Hello lovely ladies.

Hope you're able to get some sleep tonight, Dani. Poor you.

Sheila: You mentioning AKL has me all... I keep thinking back to Heather's TR. She's such a temptress, that one. I'll stick with the Poly cheerleaders though.

Magic & Petey: That is quite the dilemma. I'm thinking of doing a MNSSHP again this year, too -- so we might all be in the same proverbial boat. I do want to try BOG.

Magic: Hope your nephew was spared from this latest deluge.

Koh: Feeling your pain. AKL is so pretty. I'm going to stay there one of these days... I MUST stay there one of these days.

GG: Since you love the pool at AKL, how is the size of it? I'm just wondering how it would compare to SAB. I mean, I know SAB is huge, but whenever we go, we always seem to have a part of it all to ourselves. Does the pool at AKL ever seem "crowded" or is it big enough to feel like you've got some space?

Melissa: Hope she's enjoying herself today!

to all of ya!

~~------------------------~~

I am safe from flooding because our sweet Melissa "sent" me a canoe. We've got to get a drinks cooler installed in it though.

First let me say that we always travel during off time so none of the pools are crowded. I've only stayed at BCV once so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I enjoyed the pool and the deck area .... nice place to sit. My DS (who was 30 at the time) stayed at YC for a convention .... he loved the slide ... says he was about the only adult using it. I find SAB to be fun and active.

I really like both pools at AK. The one at Kidani is great but I think the best thing about it is the kids water play area. I love the pool at Jambo. DD and I always find a spot out in the middle to stand, talk, do water exercises. To me the pool at Jambo is one of the most relaxing on property.

And as an added bonus: favorite pool music ... CB and OKW!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #1529
peteykirch
Mouseketeer

I've been trying to figure out a rough itinerary for my trip in October;

Oct 27th Arrival Day

Land 9:05AM, hopefully get to Poly by 10:30

Magic Kingdom, late lunch at LTT, back to Poly change into costume, head back to MK around 4ish for MNSSHP

Oct 28th

Breakfast - Kona 7:30 > Epcot > F&W Festival for Lunch > Dinner at Citricos (Cali Grill if open)

Oct 29th

Breakfast - The Wave 7:30 > Magic Kingdom > BoG Lunch? > Dinner at Artist Point

Oct 30th

Breakfast - GFC 7:30 > Studios > Downtown Disney > Lunch at Raglan Road > ????

Oct 31st and Nov 1st I'm drawing blanks at the moment. I'm on the fence on if I want to go to AK at all.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #1530
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Good evening RC family Day is finally slowing down so time to do some catching up.

Dani - I hope those antibiotics are helping and you can get some sleep tonight. I know when my DH had a cracked tooth he walked around pacing all night before he could be seen by the dentist. Tooth pain is awful We checked out the CR cabanas when we walked through one time, they look great!!! If we had a resort day, a cabana would be a must do!!!!

Jen - I love the picture of you and the girls! Glad Avery had a great bday And the fact that the stompees are winning over a new bike is just hysterical KIDS!!!

i_heart - wishing you safe travels tomorrow!!! Have a magical time

Koh - sorry DH didn't respond so well last night. I asked my DH tonight if I drive him crazy with our travel plans, he said "no, you tell me what to do and I do it, but you know I refuse to move hotels once we are settled" so maybe it is a male thing. The funny part is I do all the packing and unpacking so why would it matter I guess you need to sit down and figure out which resort you really want to be at. My family has no interest in AKL so that makes it easy for me.

peteykirch - love the Epcot shirt As for the plans and ADRs, are you looking to only do TS? (with the expetion of BoG lunch) I don't know if you plan on going back to Epcot but if so, we really love Via Napoli!

Miss - she had a great bday I felt bad leaving the boys out of the day since we are so big on bdays being spent with the family. But since Steven is so limited to where he can eat, and obviously has no interest in the spa or mall, it made sense to do it this way, and it honestly worked out perfect.

Hello Cynthia, Shelia, Linda, Magic and everyone else!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Melissa

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: