Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
robertsfam5
Earning My Ears

All Stars or Pop?

Trying to decide whether to stay at one of the Allstars or Pop. I have two boys, 7 and 8, and this will be their first visit. Any pros, cons?
Any feedback much appreciated!

robertsfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
disd55
Mouseketeer

POP has good bus service. Doesn't share buses with any other resorts. Heard All-Star bus service is a bit sluggish and they all share during busy park times. Don't know when you're going but All Star Sports food court will be closed and will have to use one of the other All Star Food courts. Pop is more of the upper class values And is a tad closer to the parks. I would pick Pop.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

It probably will all come down to the theme. We stayed at POP for the first time last month and it was fine. We usually stay at a mod but this time we needed two rooms, so budget was an issue.

The pools were nice and there was only one bus stop. Bus service was pretty good.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
robertsfam5
Earning My Ears

I agree on coming down to theme. I think I might just have my boys pick which one they like the best and go from there. Of course, they'll probably each have their own favorite. lol

robertsfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
KELLY
DIS Veteran

IMO they are all values. JUst pick the theme that suits you best and go from there. We like pop the best but everyone has a favorite.

2003 ASMO, 2004 WL, 2005 POFQ, 2006 POFQ, 2007 SSR, 2008 SSR, 2009 POFQ& POP (FD) , 2010 POP (FD) , 2011 POP (FD), 2012 POP (FD),2013 pop (FD) up next POP FD bouncebacks
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Having stayed in both, I feel like Pop is a step up from the All Star resorts. I greatly appreciate not having to share bus service. The theming of the All Stars may be a little more appealing for younger kids, but the size and other benefits of Pop are worth it to me! Shorter walks to the main building/food and bus.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

During busy times All Stars (at least Sports) does not share buses with the other resorts. We have gone in January, April, July, October and December usually during the big holidays NYE, Easter, 4th, Columbus Day, and week before and after xmas. The only time we have shared a bus with the other resorts was during the day when they limited the amount of buses travelling to and from parks. So don't let the bus situation scare you from All Stars.

All Stars Sports however is getting a refurb on their food court from Early august to mid December. If you plan on going after that then you might be able to experience a new food court.

The All Stars are smaller in size, and it is easier to navigate the grounds. Pop is gigantic and to be convenient to the buses and food court you'll have to pay for the preferred rooms or get lucky and get placed into a nearby building. Paying for a preferred room on top of the prices that Pop has over All stars you'll be paying an extra $50-75 a night depending on the time you go.
You see?
-Alice in Wonderland

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by disd55 View Post
POP has good bus service. Doesn't share buses with any other resorts. Heard All-Star bus service is a bit sluggish and they all share during busy park times. Don't know when you're going but All Star Sports food court will be closed and will have to use one of the other All Star Food courts. Pop is more of the upper class values And is a tad closer to the parks. I would pick Pop.
Well you have heard wrong! Each All Star has its own bus way more often than they share! And there is nothing about Pop that would make it an "upper class" value resort. I actually can't believe you even posted that. As if only low lifes stay at the All Stars. Sheesh.

The value resorts are very similar. The decor is a bit different, and that is the main difference. Why not show your sons pictures of all of them and let them pick?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Pop is more expensive. Rates are here. Scroll down for Pop. 2014 rates are not out yet, and it looks like that is when you are going by your ticker, but this will give you an idea.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disne...s-2013.htm#all

All Star Sports is first to pick up and first to drop off when buses do share.
Also the layout of the resort is such that all the buildings are actually closer to the main bldg., food court, and buses, so no need to ever pay for a "preferred room". (Preferred room in Value Resorts only means closer to the main building.) And as mentioned, the food court should be newly renovated when you go.
With the ages of your boys, they might enjoy the sports theme.
All Star Movies are frequently not included in discounts, or the discounts are less--5% vs. 15%.
If budget is an issue, as it always is for me, these are good things to know in planning.

Photo tour of Music: http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/29/p...-music-resort/
Photo tour of Sports: http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/29/p...orts-resort-2/

Edit to add, with the popularity of Movies, I would not be surprised if they have a higher pricing structure in 2014, as Pop does.

Last edited by wishicouldgomoreofte; 06-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
wishicouldgomoreofte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
susanktz
Earning My Ears

Personally I would opt for POP. I know they've all had some refurbishments, but I still prefer POP.

Plus, as previous posters mentioned.... dedicated buses, package delivery, across the lake to AoA. Just a few extras that aren't offered at All Stars.
susanktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanktz View Post
Personally I would opt for POP. I know they've all had some refurbishments, but I still prefer POP.

Plus, as previous posters mentioned.... dedicated buses, package delivery, across the lake to AoA. Just a few extras that aren't offered at All Stars.
Package delivery is available at the All Stars, just as it is at Pop. Where you get your packages delivered to the gift shop and you pick them up. And the only thing I can see as an extra for being across the lake from AoA is the use of their food court. It's not like you're able to use their pools or anything else.
You see?
-Alice in Wonderland

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
disd55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Well you have heard wrong! Each All Star has its own bus way more often than they share! And there is nothing about Pop that would make it an "upper class" value resort. I actually can't believe you even posted that. As if only low lifes stay at the All Stars. Sheesh.
I never said it was as if low-lifes stay there. We have stayed at mostly Deluxe's but we're no where near comfortable in this economy. And if there's nothing about Pop that makes it an "upper class" or lets just say a better Value, then why is it priced higher? Sam with AoA? There is a reason behind Disney's pricing.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Dis nerd
Earning My Ears

I have stayed at both resorts, All star movies and pop. To me they were the same, just different themes like others stated. We spend most our time at the parks really only sleep,shower and mid day pool break. I think letting the kids pick is your best bet. Enjoy your trip!

Dis nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanktz

x2!!! I agree with this. I love Pop! Movies is also a fave of ours but pop will always be our "go-to" value resort.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Willows909
Mouseketeer

POP without a doubt! I believe that POP is a step up from All Stars/Movies & the Music resorts. We have enjoyed staying there.
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: