Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Help Needed. DL Newbie

I've been to WDW several times, & at all times of the year too. This would be my 1st trip to DL. So I ask:

What should I expect if I try to get a DVC Res. @ VGC. during February of 2014.
In terms of Weather ( for swimming )
Crowds ( How long lines will be )
Dinner Reservations ( Will I need to make them so far in advance like WDW )
Transportation ( To n From airport )

Any extra tidbits would be greatlyappreciated..TIA.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Feb in CA is pretty cold for swimming in my opinion. DL does not have a dining plan like WDW does and you do not have to make reservations 6 months ahead of time.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Forgot to also add that DL does not have a free airport shuttle like WDW does. You have to arrange your own airport-to-hotel transfers.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

We love going to DL even though we also love WDW. It's less stressful somehow lol, much more laid back touring style. Like the PP said no need to make your ADR's so far in advance. They will take reservations 60 days in advance by calling or emailing, instructions and restaurant list here. I would recommend it for character meals.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/

They do offer a dining plan but it's not a great deal and I woudn't recommend it. February was great for crowds for us last year during the week. It was quite busy on the weekends mid-day due to all the locals, so we walked back to our room for a rest (boy that was nice, 5 minutes door to door) and came back around dinner. It was very chilly at night, typical for California even in the summer. Carsland wasn't open yet so I can't speak to that and we don't have any experience with DVC. If you fly into Orange County there are shuttles that will take you roundtrip to any of the hotels around Disney for about $16-20 roundtrip. DL is more dense and not as spread out as WDW which can be good and bad. DTD, DCA and MK are all just right next door to each other. I like the fact that I can hit some of the "big ticket" rides from the 4 parks in the 2 parks at DL like Soarin, TSM, Star Tours, and Tower of Tower, and I LOVE the World of Color show. Fantasmic is better at Disneyland IMO, almost a different show. It's set on the Rivers of America and not in a stadium, unfortunately it was closed this Feb and last Feb because they were refurbing the boats, cross your fingers for next year. I love that the characters walk around DL more freely, sometimes without handlers. I love that It's a Small World is so beautiful at Disneyland and not tucked away in a corner. The Finding Nemo sub ride is amazing, especially at night. Open air tea-cups is pretty cool, but their Snow White ride is worse than the one at WDW was, plan to skip it. It misses like half the story. I wish they had repaired People Mover instead of getting rid of it, and I'm sad they don't have CoP anymore. Innoventions is a joke. I could take or leave the boardwalk stuff at DCA, I think they could have done more with that area, but I love Bug's Land and the Carsland sounds awesome, can't wait to see it next year. Good luck with your planning, hope you enjoy it! It's different and smaller, but in a good way IMO.

12/14 DLR ~ 2/13 Pop ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 Pop ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips to WDW & DLR

Last edited by meowmarie; 02-27-2013 at 11:18 PM.
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
beckyboo87
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7
I've been to WDW several times, & at all times of the year too. This would be my 1st trip to DL. So I ask:

IMO: might be to cold for swimming, but weather can change quite a bit....I suggest watching the 10 day forecasts before you go and look at the predicted weather....in Feb, it can be 55 or 75 degrees! That may be a big factor when it comes to swimming decisions. It was cold the first couple of days i was here but the weather has heated up enough now for swimming. The lines won't be bad. But there are certain rides that I will pass up because the lines are so long, but when I return later...carsland is always full, but i do single rider onRSR?..and have had less than 10 min waits for that. but for the most part,if you do the regular standby line....it is alwyas long. For transportation, I use super shuttle and have used them for john Wayne airport and lax. I always, just get off plane and walk to the super shuttle (no resi) when I get her, but I book my return ride online, with a discount code..$10 for me to gate here, and 7 to get back to the airport(john Wayne)
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post

Crowds -- Depends on when in February you are going, i.e. before President's Day weekend (lower crowds) or after (higher). Weekday visit (lower) or weekend (higher).

As far as DVC rental, do it. It's the best way to do a DLR vacation if you can afford to pay $200 per night on a hotel. I paid $178 per night for 6 nights at the VGC a few weeks ago. Ridiculous Paradise Pier view, amazing hotel regardless of view. It's like the Grand Floridian in quality.

Make sure to start looking for a rental as soon as your dates are firm and you cross into the 7-11 month window.

Transportation ... we didn't rent a car and have a young child, so to avoid having to bring a car seat, we used the $5 coupons and took the DLR Express Bus. Round Trip for 4 is $70 after coupon. It wasn't the Disney Magical Express bus, but it's fine. Transportation and lodging are the two biggest things that contribute to the DLR being a more expensive vacation than WDW per day.

Dining ressies -- for February visits, you can make them 62 days in advance (it's 2 months to the date, not 60 days). However, it's not necessary to book at the 62 day mark. I did that, but changed almost all of my ressies at the last minute. Mickey's Surf's Up Breakfast was virtually empty and we made a reservation that morning. Completely different than WDW.

Swimming -- the pools are heated and the jacuzzis are nice. We brought our suits but never made the choice to swim.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everyone's input and info it's greatly appreciated. The week in Feb that we were looking for was that presidents week so I'm guessing it's going to be busy .Swimming will be a big factor in our resort stay as well especially in Florida, so my next question is, would it be that much warmer for July and what about the crowds then or possibly Easter Thanks in advance

2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Thanks for everyone's input and info it's greatly appreciated. The week in Feb that we were looking for was that presidents week so I'm guessing it's going to be busy .Swimming will be a big factor in our resort stay as well especially in Florida, so my next question is, would it be that much warmer for July and what about the crowds then or possibly Easter Thanks in advance
President's Week is very busy. Lots of CA schools have that whole week off, so I would avoid it if possible.

It will be warmer around Easter (but spring weather in CA is iffy) and also very crowded. We have definitely been able to swim in April, but if it's super-important I'm not sure you can count on it.

And yes, it really will be much warmer in July. Summer is crowded, but IMO not as crazy as school holiday weeks. Summer can be anywhere from warm to very hot (but not humid like it is in FL). Shouldn't be cold or rainy at all.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
President's Week is very busy. Lots of CA schools have that whole week off, so I would avoid it if possible.

It will be warmer around Easter (but spring weather in CA is iffy) and also very crowded. We have definitely been able to swim in April, but if it's super-important I'm not sure you can count on it.

And yes, it really will be much warmer in July. Summer is crowded, but IMO not as crazy as school holiday weeks. Summer can be anywhere from warm to very hot (but not humid like it is in FL). Shouldn't be cold or rainy at all.
Good to know thanks. I'll either look into aulani for presidents week or try for vgc end of June.

2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9