Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Sunglass recommendations for 2 1/2 year olds

Dh and I are taking our 2 1/2 year old twin grandsons to WDW in a couple of months. Planning a very low key vacation, letting them sleep in (if they want), back to the resort for naps/swimming. We've been many times but this is the first time taking grandkids.

I think we're pretty prepared for most things but I'm concerned because neither tolerates the sun very well and I know I want sunglasses for them but not sure whether they will keep them on or not. They will have swim shirts, hats, etc., I'm just needing some suggestions for good eye protection...hopefully something comfortable that they will leave on.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Aww what fun!

Keep in mind that a sunhat can be as good as glasses. I also have a 2.5 year old, and if she won't keep both the hat & glasses on, she must wear at least one. Just so you can pick that battle.

We prefer the more expensive glasses that you can get at eyeglass shops. They aren't prescription, but they're better quality and fit better. The ones we have, we bought when DD was a baby, and they came with a band to help keep them on the kid's head.

I helped my daughter learn to wear hers by showing her that I was wearing my glasses, and telling her how cool she looks with them on.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
disneyfan1992
Mouseketeer

My twins will be 2.5 years old when we go later this year.

Mine will not wear sunglasses. I bought inexpensive ones at Babies R Us last summer. They have a headband, but neither one likes them. I don't know if a different brand / style would make a difference or not.

However, they will wear wide brimmed sun hats with chin straps most of the time.

As a side note, I had to laugh when I read your post and saw the comment about the twins sleeping in. I know that my twins don't sleep in at this age. They are up at the crack of dawn, full of pep and energy, and ready to go, go, go! What I wouldn't give to have them sleep in until even 8am/9am one morning!!!
2000 - DLR
Me DH and now we are blessed with B/G Twins DS: DD:

disneyfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
SamSam

DIS Veteran

LOL, Yes I know 2 1/2 year olds don't 'sleep in', but we are definitely not going 'commando' with them. I know we will be more tuckered out than they will be.

I will be looking at better sunglasses with stretch straps because I think they're more likely to keep them on. Hats will be a definite, so hopefully if they reject the sunglasses then the hats will be enough to protect them.

We're just excited to be taking them and if we know at their age they will be excited about even the little things, we're good with that.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
debster812
DIS Earth Angel!
Anyone have a spare phone?
Suffered from DIS withdrawals
I feel so technical, 'stick', 'unstick'
Ya Ya Sister!

DS is 15 now, but as a baby/toddler/preschooler he would NEVER wear sunglasses. Turns out that his eyelashes were (and still are) so long that they would hit the glasses when he blinked, and he just could not stand how that felt, but he could not really tell us what was wrong.

I know lots of babies have disproportionately long eyelashes, so a hat might be the way to go.

Even today, DS has to really search to find sunglasses that sit far enough away from his eyes so his lashes don't hit. Such problems he has.....
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

http://www.banzworld.com/products/item/banz-adventure

My boys had these from their first birthday. They didn't like them at first but we persisted and now at 4yrs they always wear regular sunglasses without a problem. I even get in trouble if I don't have them in my bag with mine!!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
amomma23
DIS Veteran

My kids like these.
http://www.realkidshades.com/

amomma23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
msmama
DIS Veteran

For my son, he'll only keep them on if he likes the character.

We've had luck with the ones from the Disney Store (I feel like they may be slightly bigger so they fit his giant head better).

And I agree with a previous poster that he needs either the sunglasses or the hat if he won't wear both.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We have taken our kids to Walmart and tried some on and let them pick out the ones they want.

My oldest also has a slightly larger head than an average kid his age, so we found some nice ones on Amazon (with foam on the inside for extra comfort) and he loves them.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the great advice and the links. Love these boards!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: