DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #61
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
That isn't what Doug was saying. He was saying don't trust the person who will make money if you follow the advice they give you. Your husband doesn't make any additional money based on the decisions his clients make. He is simply paid for his advice. There's a big difference.
Yes, I know what he was saying. And my husband does make additional money based on the decisions his clients make. His advice is actually free. He doesn't get paid until his clients set up 401k plans, life insurance, etc. He could charge his clients just to sit down with them but he chooses not to. As he feels if he is earning a commission on what he advises them to do, he should not charge a fee on top of that.

Last edited by DisneyFansInLINY; 03-01-2013 at 07:55 AM.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post
Excuse me but that statement is far from the truth! My husband is a financial advisor. Yes, he makes a commission off of his clients but he is actually helping them with the advice he gives them. And he doesn't lie to them either or push them into doing anything. His trustworthy advice and products are highly valuable to all.
My understanding is that a lot of financial advisors are now charging flat fees upfront for their advice, rather than relying on the commissions of what they advice their clients to buy. The reason they are doing this is so that is no perceived conflict of interest.

For example, given two funds X and Y, fund X paid a 2% comission while fund Y paid no commission, than a saleman is going to be very motivated to recommend fund X. And this is exactly what has been happening in the financial services industry.

I would happily pay a financial advisor for their expertise and then take their advise and implement it myself. Then the advisor has no conflict of interest and it becomes a lot easier to trust what they are saying.

I probably should have explained myself better, but this was really in the context of a DVC salesman. One should always be extremely care with trusting anything that a salesman tells you that would encourage you to buy what that salesman is trying to sell you.

And I'm sorry, nothing personal against your husband, but I stand by my statement that one should not implicitly trust what someone is telling you about the product they are trying to sell to you when they are going to make money off that sale. That person is a salesman, not an advisor and there is a world of difference between the two.

Last edited by DougEMG; 03-01-2013 at 11:57 AM.
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #63
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
In other words, is it really conceivable that someday we will have a system where:

Those who bought after 3/20/11 cannot book Disney, Concierge and Adv. Collections.
Those who bought after 6/1/13 cannot do ____
Those who bought after 6/1/16 cannot do ____
Those who bought after 1/1/18 cannot do ____
I personally don't think that they are going to have multiple dates with multiple restrictions, would be to big a pain to manage.

Although the one upside would be that if they did that it would make the resale market more confusing and might push more people to direct.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #64
intertile
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
but this was really in the context of a DVC salesman. One should always be extremely care with trusting anything that a salesman tells you that would encourage you to buy what that salesman is trying to sell you.

And I'm sorry, nothing personal against your husband, but I stand by my statement that one should not implicitly trust what someone is telling you about the product they are trying to sell to you when they are going to make money off that sale. That person is a salesman, not an advisor and there is a world of difference between the two.
I agree with Doug on this, and I have an perfect example from a recent DCL presentation that I sat in on. The salesperson went through there normal sales pitch, and finally asked me how did I book the cruise. I explained that I had a large number of points that would have expired, and rather than dealing with having to rent them we booked a 1 week holiday cruise. She then asked me if I had looked into doing another cruise with DCL. I explained that I was considering an on-board booking to take advantage of the discount for the same week next year. At which she proceeded to do the math to show that I would need to pay $1560 down, and then around $695/month until October to pay off the cruise..... Then she showed me if I purchased 100 points with DVC, I could put as little as $750 down, and finance the rest. That would only cost me $145/month, and I could bank/borrow along with my other contract and go on the same cruise. Great deal right?

I don't fault the sales rep, then want to make a sale...Nothing she told me was a lie exactly, but I know creative math better than most. A financial adviser on the other hand has a vested interest in your success, as they need repeat business to earn a living

intertile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #65
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Financing was also brought up in the discussion. I never asked about it, but she was very prepared to tell me how much each contract (50 pt. vs 100pt) would cost me, what percentage down, monthly payment, etc. I think if the prices do increase, not even discussing the price of VGF here, that they anticipate this will be how most people will be purchasing DVC.

I guess we will just have to see what happens on or before March 20. I felt it prudent to pass on this information as this was personally told to me, not hearsay. As a licensed real estate agent, if she quoted an increase price of $130/pt. and this doesn't end up being true, I will be complaining to her boss for sure. We can not have guides quoting specifics and really be lying about it. Again, they do have to abide by the requirements of their licensure.

Last edited by BWV Dreamin; 03-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #66
intertile
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Financing was also brought up in the discussion. I never asked about it, but she was very prepared to tell me how much each contract (50 pt. vs 100pt) would cost me, what percentage down, monthly payment, etc. I think if the prices do increase, not even discussing the price of VGF here, that they anticipate this will be how most people will be purchasing DVC.

I guess we will just have to see what happens on or before March 20. I felt it prudent to pass on this information as this was personally told to me, not hearsay. As a licensed real estate agent, if she quoted an increase price of $130/pt. and this doesn't end up being true, I will be complaining to her boss for sure. We can not have guides quoting specifics and really be lying about it. Again, they do have to abide by the requirements of their licensure.
the classic contracts expire 2043, so if they increase prices to $130 they would be asking almost triple there original price for only 30 years (about 1/2 original time). I'm not saying its not possible, but WOW ...Now if they were planning an extension/increase so that you were paying $130 to go to 2058 it would make sense, and fall inline with the other resorts expiration/pricing. I guess we will see in 19 days.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #67
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertile View Post
the classic contracts expire 2043
Contracts at the classic resorts prior to SSR (except for OKW extended contracts) expire Jan 31, 2042 so less than 29 years remain on those contracts.

I agree that increasing the price of those resorts to $130 with less than 29 years remaining on the contract doesn't make sense.

Last edited by LisaS; 03-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.
LisaS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #68
DVC BLT
Earning My Ears

Question:

I am a total timeshare rookie, so forgive me if I am seeing something wrong. With that said - Is it possible that Disney would want to put in a restriction to limit future resale contracts at their home resort to create demand for direct? If you institute such a change, it would probably lower resale prices, right? Then Disney could pick up cheap resale points and sell them direct. This way you can create healthy margins without the cost of new construction.

I guess it would also stop people from purchasing the least expensive (ex Saratoga) points resale so you can go to other more expensive resorts with those cheap points. If there was less Saratoga point owners using their points at more desirable resorts, then the more desirable resort rooms may either be rented for profit (CRO), used by owners at that resort, as opposed to remaining vacant. The only reason I say vacant is because those rooms are usually available last min.

For example, I am one who believes that DVC sold the discounted annual pass to customers so they would use more points then their annual allotment. This would create 1 of 2 things, either the person buys more direct to continue their vacation habits, or the room stays emtpy so they can rent. A desirable deluxe resort (BLT, Beach Club, etc) can fetch some decent rates through CRO.

Just an idea...May explain why they only tested the discounted annual pass program, and may explain why they want to raise the legacy resort pricing. I purchased the discounted annual passes and I received a questionnaire asking me 100 different ways if I booked more DVC rooms then I otherwise would have since the discounted passes were available? They followed up even more by asking if I only moved up vacations that I would have taken, and will I now forgo that vacation? Clearly they wanted to know if I borrowed to go more often to take advantage of the discount.

Last edited by DVC BLT; 03-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.
DVC BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #69
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post

It's too bad you didn't get this information in writing.

Stephen
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #70
intertile
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC BLT
Question:

I am a total timeshare rookie, so forgive me if I am seeing something wrong. With that said - Is it possible that Disney would want to put in a restriction to limit future resale contracts at their home resort to create demand for direct? If you institute such a change, it would probably lower resale prices, right?
This restriction has been rumored for some time now. Personally don't think it will happen. For one our contracts allow for us to be able to use our points at all dvc resorts. It will be very difficult for them to find a loophole in that. The other restrictions were items that were explicitly never guaranteed. In addition while crushing/hurting the resale market, it would also hurt retail. For example my contract cost me $21k 6 years ago. If I sell tomorrow I can get around $14k. The reason is because there is demand on a secondary market. Compsre thst to my marriot timeshare that lost $15k in the same 6 years, because there is no demand and the retail prices have also dropped by about $12k. People do look to see if there is any option to get out. Look where dvc prices are.

As far as AP discount, I'm not sure what you mean about DVC members using more than there allotment of points. We own x points. We can borrow from next years points, but that would mean we can't travel next year. After that we need to pay cash. Definitely meant to increase traffic, and possibly to create a need to purchase more points.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #71
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Can we get back to the $ per point discussion?

What is the current direct price for VWL, and is there a waitlist? Thanks. I'd call my guide, but then again, I really don't want to. He's really hyper.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #72
intertile
Mouseketeer

$102/pt. You need to call guide for waitlist info. It varies by use year.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #73
Longhairbear
DIS Veteran

I am trying to think of why DVC would add restrictions to resales if more might be added. My only conclusion is to put resellers out of business.
They also stand to make a ton of money on direct resales at those prices for classic resorts. When we twice added on direct to our VWL, we paid the same price per point as we paid a few years earlier for our initial purchase.
Whatever the restrictions might be is anyone's guess. I'm thinking it would be a cost saving service, or creating a new profit. How about no housekeeping or T&T unless you add it, paying to park your car.
I already think it is upsetting that our fellow members that bought resale are restricted in certain ways. I don't wish any more to happen to them.
Longhairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #74
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

My thoughts are that DVD is trying to drive sales to the newly built resorts. This change will most certainly lower both "old" resort sales and ROFR of those resorts to fill that need once the price increase is in place.

Disney can certainly withdraw "free" perks and booking perks to their products selectively that is supplied to DVC, but resticting other direct timeshare plan benefits of DVC would certainly trigger complaints to the FL timeshare regulators and possibly a court challenge, so I think it is unlikely they will try to move past that line as a disincentive to purchse resale.

In the end I think that the home resort advantage did not justify the price differential between the newly built resorts and the old resorts, especailly with the contract length difference, for anyone who takes the time understand DVC before purchasing. Also I think DVD is preparing for a large increase in DVC sales now that the ecomomy is improving with the FW project likely to be 15 million points, the Poly rework, possibly 5 million points and other on site "rumors" like near HS which would likely be 25 million points.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #75
DVC BLT
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertile View Post
As far as AP discount, I'm not sure what you mean about DVC members using more than there allotment of points. We own x points. We can borrow from next years points, but that would mean we can't travel next year. After that we need to pay cash. Definitely meant to increase traffic, and possibly to create a need to purchase more points.
Yeah, I really wasnt clear. What I'm saying is that if DVC is paying for the discount on the annual pass (From what I understand about the finance organization, the parks never absorb a discount internally). So, for a return on that investment, DVC needs people to either borrow points and hopefully get those people to buy more direct, or use the rooms in the future which are open (due to the borrowed points) and rent them to CRO.

However, they can get a better return from CRO on a high demand resort vs a low demand resort.

I hope I am making more sense.

Last edited by DVC BLT; 03-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.
DVC BLT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: