DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #46
LoriKutchey
DIS Veteran

So are these new closing costs only come into effect on March 20th and later? Or are they now in effect? I was thinking on a small 25 point direct add on.
LoriKutchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #47
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
To my knowledge disney has never NOT grandfathered in changes. If so, could you provide me an example.
Well, there has only been one true instance so I'm not sure how much of a lasting precedent that represents. Although I will point out that there were a lot of resale buyers disappointed to discover that they could not even pay cash for the member cruises. That was not clearly disclosed prior to 3/20/11.

Let's assume for a moment that future restrictions will actually happen someday. Do you really think that DVC will continue to attach staggered implementation dates to all of these different stages?

In other words, is it really conceivable that someday we will have a system where:

Those who bought after 3/20/11 cannot book Disney, Concierge and Adv. Collections.
Those who bought after 6/1/13 cannot do ____
Those who bought after 6/1/16 cannot do ____
Those who bought after 1/1/18 cannot do ____

Quote:
In all reality we have no idea what guides know, what they are privy to divulge, what they can't. So we only can go by what info the guides release. Maybe they know a grandfather policy exists? We can in no way anymore dispute or confirm what they say because they are in the know, we are not.
Then ask your Guide to put it in writing. If that is policy, there should be no problem getting a written guarantee.

In lieu of that, her comments are merely opinion. And they are meaningless.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKutchey View Post
So are these new closing costs only come into effect on March 20th and later? Or are they now in effect? I was thinking on a small 25 point direct add on.
These closing cost prices are in effect now.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #49
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
Back in March 2011, resales contracts bought after that date had restrictions placed on them( no use for concierge resorts, collections resorts RCI and cruises). The impending ADDITIONAL restrictions will only affect resales contracts bought after what ever date they announce. Not gonna happen on March 20.
OK so obviously i don't have any clerical skills..Ha Ha.So the answer is yes more restrictions ARE coming. hummm anyone have any idea what else they will restrict?[/QUOTE]

And that's my whole quote. I was merely asking if the person who said that restrictions were coming if they knew what they were,not that I knew for a fact they were.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #50
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Might we consider changes to the Closing Cost process a change? At first, there were no Closing Costs when buying direct. Then later, new buyers paid closing costs for direct where existing members were exempt. Now ... all direct buyers, new and existing, pay closing costs.

Existing owners were not grandfathered from this added cost for very long ...
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #51
LoriKutchey
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info on closing costs. Maybe I will reconsider and just do a slightly bigger add-on thru resale.
LoriKutchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #52
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Might we consider changes to the Closing Cost process a change? At first, there were no Closing Costs when buying direct. Then later, new buyers paid closing costs for direct where existing members were exempt. Now ... all direct buyers, new and existing, pay closing costs.

Existing owners were not grandfathered from this added cost for very long ...
I consider "grandfathering" a component that relates to the core of DVC, the POS, and the principles of the club as stated in the contract. I don't think changing operational fees a "component" of the club.

Good find though!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To my knowledge disney has never NOT grandfathered in changes. If so, could you provide me an example. In all reality we have no idea what guides know, what they are privy to divulge, what they can't. So we only can go by what info the guides release. Maybe they know a grandfather policy exists? We can in no way anymore dispute or confirm what they say because they are in the know, we are not.
True. But we can question what they tell us because of the nature of timeshare salespeople (Disney or not) and the vested interest they have in telling us things that motivate us to buy. We can also compare what we hear from one salesperson to what we hear from another and identify inconsistencies. From your posts I can tell that you feel like you have a great relationship with your salesperson and I think that's wonderful. But would it surprise you to hear that he was only after the sale? With all due respect, I think you have placed too much trust in someone who only makes money if you buy something from him. Calling a timeshare salesperson a guide is like calling an IRS agent your financial adviser. I'm troubled by the whole situation.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #54
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
I consider "grandfathering" a component that relates to the core of DVC, the POS, and the principles of the club as stated in the contract. I don't think changing operational fees a "component" of the club.

Good find though!
The things "grandfathered" for resales prior to March, 2011 were not part of the core of DVC, the POS or principles of the club as stated in the contract. They were all components that could be, and have been changed numerous times over the past 21+ years.

There have been many things some have considered to be part of the DVC program that have changed including, but not limited to, transfer rules (one-per-Use Year, then multiple per-Use Year, then back to one-per-Use Yea)r, World Passport Collection partner (RCI, then II, then RCI), DVC discounts and perks (BWV valet service, dining discounts, 10% discount on non-AP park passes), etc. .

Adding the expense for closing costs was certainly a blow to existing members when it went into effect. The cost was previously absorbed as part of the direct purchase and when added, IMO, lowered the direct sales more to what was an expected resale expense. With resales, many negotiate for the seller to cover those costs - with DVC is non-negotiable and all added to the costs for the uninformed new buyer who still has the pixie dust in his eyes.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #55
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I'll admit that I was toying with the idea of a 25 or 50 point add-on at BWV in the next few months, but I was having a hard time committing at $115 per point (minus a $500 credit), but $120?!?! That might make the decision for me.
How do I find out about this $500 credit? Is this availible for BCV? Is it good on 25 and 50 contracts?

How can I watch the webcast?

Erika

Last edited by erikawolf2004; 02-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.
erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #56
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
True. But we can question what they tell us because of the nature of timeshare salespeople (Disney or not) and the vested interest they have in telling us things that motivate us to buy. We can also compare what we hear from one salesperson to what we hear from another and identify inconsistencies. From your posts I can tell that you feel like you have a great relationship with your salesperson and I think that's wonderful. But would it surprise you to hear that he was only after the sale? With all due respect, I think you have placed too much trust in someone who only makes money if you buy something from him. Calling a timeshare salesperson a guide is like calling an IRS agent your financial adviser. I'm troubled by the whole situation.
Never trust someone who makes money by you taking the advice that they give you.

This is completely different then paying someone for advice who then has no further financial gains from wether you take the advice or not.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #57
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Never trust someone who makes money by you taking the advice that they give you.

This is completely different then paying someone for advice who then has no further financial gains from wether you take the advice or not.
Excuse me but that statement is far from the truth! My husband is a financial advisor. Yes, he makes a commission off of his clients but he is actually helping them with the advice he gives them. And he doesn't lie to them either or push them into doing anything. His trustworthy advice and products are highly valuable to all.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #58
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc

The things "grandfathered" for resales prior to March, 2011 were not part of the core of DVC, the POS or principles of the club as stated in the contract. They were all components that could be, and have been changed numerous times over the past 21+ years.

There have been many things some have considered to be part of the DVC program that have changed including, but not limited to, transfer rules (one-per-Use Year, then multiple per-Use Year, then back to one-per-Use Yea)r, World Passport Collection partner (RCI, then II, then RCI), DVC discounts and perks (BWV valet service, dining discounts, 10% discount on non-AP park passes), etc. .

Adding the expense for closing costs was certainly a blow to existing members when it went into effect. The cost was previously absorbed as part of the direct purchase and when added, IMO, lowered the direct sales more to what was an expected resale expense. With resales, many negotiate for the seller to cover those costs - with DVC is non-negotiable and all added to the costs for the uninformed new buyer who still has the pixie dust in his eyes.
Changes you mentioned( RCI, transfers, II, etc) affected all contracts both resales and direct. So not really the same thing as the division made in March 2011.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #59
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY

Excuse me but that statement is far from the truth! My husband is a financial advisor. Yes, he makes a commission off of his clients but he is actually helping them with the advice he gives them. And he doesn't lie to them either or push them into doing anything. His trustworthy advice and products are highly valuable to all.
That isn't what Doug was saying. He was saying don't trust the person who will make money if you follow the advice they give you. Your husband doesn't make any additional money based on the decisions his clients make. He is simply paid for his advice. There's a big difference.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #60
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Changes you mentioned( RCI, transfers, II, etc) affected all contracts both resales and direct. So not really the same thing as the division made in March 2011.
My comments were addressing the suggestion regarding "part of the core of DVC, the POS or principles of the club as stated in the contract". The changes I mentioned were also in the documents and have also been changed - just like the removal of access for DC, CC and ABD for resale purchasers. The removed resale items were certainly NOT part of the "core stated in the documents".

I consider "core" components to be things like the 11 month reservation priority with at least a 1 month Home Resort advantage over owners at other resorts, the ability to rent, the ability of DVC to modify the POS as it desires without input from members, owners will always be able to reserve at their Home Resort (based on availability) even if not at other resorts, and a few others. The resale changes made after March, 2011 were NOT core components and we should all have been aware that those items could be removed for any or all members (and still could be removed at any time).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: