Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #31
mikesroberts
Earning My Ears

Hi,

Whilst I cannot answer your questions I did just want to say to both yourself and any of the other mothers in a similar position you are all fabulous humans and tremendous mothers! Your children will forever remember Disney and when they are older to, they will recognise what you went through to give them those memories! Well done to all of you!!!!!!
mikesroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #32
mtfrench
Earning My Ears

Wow. I almost don't what to say. I am so moved by the responses on here. Thank you all so very much for saying such kind things. Knowing I have access to so much information here from such nice people really is a huge relief.

I'll start by saying thank you to everyone for the helpful links. I have bookmarked the maps on my laptop and I will be getting my mom to print out the ones we will need. *I will PM you, Bumbershoot. * Its good to know how accurate the descriptions of places are. I've been to some places that have been not even close to what I expected from the map, pictures, and description I had gotten before hand. Personal, recent experience is just what I need to hear.

And, holy cow, we are definitely not going to do anything but zip through Stockton as quickly as legally possible! On the map there are some smaller towns around Sacramento, would those be any better? We still aren't sure if we want to do the drive all at once or do a stop over somewhere along the way since we will have 3 drivers. I talked to my husband about the suggestions made by you guys about the idea of having a motel with a pool to crash at half way through the drive. He agreed that it did sound nice, but he's still on the fence about it. I think its mostly because he's pretty eager to get to DL (I think he's just as excited as the kids are! lol).

Thank you to crystal1313 for easing my worries about the Camelot. The reviews on tripadvisor were mixed, but the place was in our price range and walking distance to DL entrance, so we went for it. We aren't picky about where we sleep, but having the ability to walk to the room was something that I felt I needed to have in case I had to leave the park.

There were suggestions of getting an ECV, and I think that just would create more problems for me. I would be nervous about asking for one in the first place, and then worried about hitting someone or something. I would definitely not like how it would seem like everyone is crowding above me. When I start to panic, I feel like everyone is breathing my air and if I don't get away from them I won't be able to breathe.

I think we are going to go with the one park per day tickets. I just don't think we'd get $225 worth of use out of the option. Our ideas were to get to the parks as early as allowable, stay until we needed a break, then back to the hotel and then whoever wanted to go back to the park could. That way I can still go to DL, but don't have stay. I am usually at my best early in the AM. The later in the afternoon it gets, the more I just want to lay down with my heating pad.
I am for sure going to put in a call to my doctor before we leave to see what she recommends.

I do already have a huge binder that I am keeping my notes and information in. I definitely be putting all the awesome suggestions for keeping the kids busy on the car ride in to it. There were so many great ideas! And the suggestions for the "quiet places" in the park, YES! This is exactly what I need to know. I will take note on any place anyone wants to suggest.

I was curious about the Hungry Bear DLRfan31 mentioned. Was the food ok? I know I had mentioned the character dining previously. The kids saw a picture on the website and asked if it was something we could do. We can, but is it really worth the cost? If you guys have some suggestions for a great sit down meal place, I'd love to hear them. We decided to have one sit down meal in the park and we want it to be special, so what's the best place for DL first timers?

Stitch35 -I actually live just outside of the Lacey city limits! Howdy, neighbor! lol

Thanks for the hints on the strollers. The idea of them delivering the stroller to the hotel is great. I will be definitely looking into this. Before I do that, I'm going to check out some of the second hand baby shops around the area. I'd love to find a deal on a couple of the lighter umbrella type strollers with the reclining seatbacks.

roxy72, thank you for mentioning the being nervous about getting the GAC. I have a terrible time talking to new people or dealing with new situations, and I don't know if I'll be able to go ask for one.

Planning everything out makes me freak out, but having lists is ok. (I HATE this, I feel like such a weirdo sometimes!) See, having a schedule of things, or having to be somewhere at a specific time makes me stressed which triggers my stomach issues (this is partly why I wondered about having reservations somewhere for eating). I've found that making lists of choices gives me the ability of recognizing I have options, that I don't HAVE to do anything in particular and that relieves the stress a little.

Painted Purple - Thanks for speaking up. It's great to hear that you were able to do it and are actually having fun. Congrats to you! :D I'm hoping I can do it and have a good time, too!

Going to Disneyland is something I want my kids to experience. I don't want to be the reason the kids can't do this. I have been able to do all of our other trips, however, we've never gone somewhere with this many people in one spot! Hubby and I have been very diligent in our efforts to get out and do stuff as often as possible. We usually do things like camping, going to the beach, checking out the mountains, aquariums, science centers, lighthouses, country festivals, farmers markets, flea markets. I found that most outside things are ok (which is just dumb since I live in state where it rains 10 months out of the year! lol)
@Caseheidi - yup, we've been to wildlife safari three or four times. We used to live in Veneta (west of Eugene) and we used to take the BLM roads out to Coos Bay. One time, we tried to switch things up by taking some of these alternative roads to get to Wildlife Safari instead of I-5. I'm not sure where we were, (but we weren't at the park yet, I know that!), but this big ol bear suddenly trotted across the road in front of us and went up the hill. It was kinda funny to get to the park and be like, "oh hey, we just saw one of those."

Anyway, sorry to have rambled for so long. I have to write this in bits because I can't sit in the same spot for very long. I am going to go back and re-read all of the things in these posts only this time with my binder in hand to take notes with! If you think of anything else that might help me, or heck, just have some encouragement to offer, I am gratefully listening! Again, thank you all for everything!
mtfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

In terms of where to eat for your 1 meal in the park each day, I’ve been looking at the menus that are on the All Ears website. It has prices for everything, too, so that helps with budgeting how much $$ for eating out. Picking a restaurant is a very individual thing…all the more so if you have a medical condition that affects one’s GI tract. My kids are little and at times are sometimes picky eaters, so I’ve been looking at the restaurant menus on http://allears.net/dlr/din/dining.htm so I can get an idea of what we’d want to stay away from.

A lot of people like going to the Plaza Inn. They have a fried chicken meal there that is enough to feed 2 people. However, if a lot of fried foods results in your IBS flaring up, then there are many other good options at a ton of restaurants all throughout the 2 parks to choose from. From what I’ve read here on these boards, the DL restaurants are very accomodating for people with specific dietary needs, just in case anyone in your party will need that sort of thing. There is a lot of info online about it, but specific sites don’t come to mind at the moment.

Other people swear by the Blue Bayou as their #1 “go to” restaurant at every DL trip. But just because lots of other people go there, doesn’t mean that you’d have to as well.

Given your anxiety with crowds and since it sounds like you do better with outdoor settings, maybe consider places that have outdoor tables (which a lot or most of them do).
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
DLRfan31
A Pirate's Life for Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfrench View Post

I was curious about the Hungry Bear DLRfan31 mentioned. Was the food ok? I know I had mentioned the character dining previously. The kids saw a picture on the website and asked if it was something we could do. We can, but is it really worth the cost? If you guys have some suggestions for a great sit down meal place, I'd love to hear them. We decided to have one sit down meal in the park and we want it to be special, so what's the best place for DL first timers?
We like the food at the Hungry Bear. Here's a link to the menu. http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_hung.htm
The meals are all large, so can easily be shared.

My opinion about character dining is that its not worth the big bucks, but everyone has different experience. Some people report that they have more time with characters just out in the park. Our favorite sit down is the Blue Bayou, but it is indoors. You can't beat the ambiance being inside the Pirates ride. The food is good, the service is good. We go there once each trip. The rest of the time we eat pretty inexpensively and bring in our own drinks, fruit, snack bars, etc.

We also like the Rancho del Zocalo near the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland. Also big meals that can be shared. And drinks are refillable. They also have water, as do other counter service restaurants, where you can refill your water bottles.

One of our favorite eating places is Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian. You enter from DCA near Grizzly River Run. They have great food at reasonable prices. We especially like their breakfast sandwiches and breakfast burritos. Its a nice place and pretty quiet most times I've been there. I'm not sure if they have outdoor dining.

The new Fantasy Faire will be open while you are there and it looks pretty cool. There is a lot of controversy about its location so close to main street, but I'm just looking forward to walking through and seeing the new village. Pictures look really cool.
DLRfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #35
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

HI! No problem! The room we had was like two adjoining rooms, really big. One had a King bed and double sofa sleeper and a nice big table and kitchenette area. The other room had 2 queens and the bathroom, and the sink was separate from the toilet and shower, which made getting ready easier! Lots of storage and looked like they had been recently remodeled. We stayed in 2010. Fast walk! And McDonalds and Millies are next door. =) Oh and plenty of parking too.

As far as sit down restaurants in Disneyland (with service), there are 3. Blue Bayou (Inside Pirates of the Caribbean), Cafe Orleans (in New Orleans Square) And Carnation Cafe (on Main St). I highly recommend all ears for menu's as well. See if the menus meet your families tastes. Blue Bayous is pricey, but awesome atmosphere! Lunch is cheaper then dinner, but both are expensive. Cafe Orleans also sells the monte cristo sandwich that BB is famous for, and it's cheaper. Carnation used to be my favorite until they recently changed their menu. But that's my tastes.

Also, since your room has a fridge and microwave, you could bring some food from home to save some money. We did this on our last trip. We brought the microwaveable mac n cheese (since this is often what our kids order anyway) and soup. I also prepared spaghetti before we left and froze it. Brought a cooler in the car and we got 3 meals out of it. We saved a ton of money and it was actually really nice to head back to our quiet room and eat and let the kids run around and not have to stress about being in a restaurant. I also recommend bringing a case or two of water. You can refill them in the baby center! Much cheaper then the cost of water at the parks. =)

Have a great time!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: