Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
zurgmouse
Earning My Ears

Disney Hotels selling out week of April 22nd?

Hi everyone!

Been a lurker on these boards for a while and decided it was time to step up & get involved. My family is looking to plan a trip to Disneyland the week of April 22nd, but we noticed a sudden (Almost overnight) burst of reservations that have led to the DLH being nearly sold-out. One day every room type was available, the next day only one bedroom suites were available.

I've spent a few days researching the cause and from all of my research, there are no (or few) active spring breaks at this time and there are no major conventions scheduled in the area. I also called the Disneyland Hotel and Disney Travel directly and they simply stated that March & April are considered Spring break. The week before & after still have plenty of availability, so I'm left wondering what is so special about this week as it happens to work best for our family.

Could anyone help shed a light on what might be causing this? Does Disney ever lower room inventory / close towers to work on the hotel which might be causing this?

Thanks in advance!
zurgmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
smallsteps
Earning My Ears

I'm interested to hear the replies too. We booked our stay from April 23rd through the 27th in hopes that it would be slower (no spring break, no conventions), but it's starting to look like it will be freakishly busy (and without the benefits of busy times such as fireworks and more shows )
smallsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Interesting. We booked at the GC for the week of April 22-26. When I booked it, which was only two weeks ago, all of the Standard Views were sold out. But they had everything else open still. I'm really hoping it's not packed. The lady that I spoke with, on the phone, said it's not usually too busy the end of April.

I just checked the Disneyland website and they GC still has all room types available except for the standard. The PPH has the upper level resort view and the concierge levels available still. So that one is getting booked up, too.

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as a Child~countless times.

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Hoping to go this June, 2014!
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
mrswh
DIS Veteran

I don't think you can really tell much about crowds at the parks based on occupancy levels of the hotels, since so many DLR visitors are locals.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
zurgmouse
Earning My Ears

I'm glad I'm not the only one stumped!

carisa81 - Even more odd is that it literally happened overnight. I have been checking rates/availability every day an between last Friday/Saturday, the DLH hotel went from having every room type available to only having one bedroom suites. The one bedroom suites were still at their lowest price I had seen in weeks, go figure. Expedia, Orbitz, etc. still had some regular rooms available until Sunday, then they started saying 'call for availability'.

Looking more closely at DLH and checking availability day by day, it looks like the 24th/25th is where things start to get slammed, the 22nd/23rd have some other room types open.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they are doing some kind of inventory management
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
mrswh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgmouse View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one stumped!

carisa81 - Even more odd is that it literally happened overnight. I have been checking rates/availability every day an between last Friday/Saturday, the DLH hotel went from having every room type available to only having one bedroom suites. The one bedroom suites were still at their lowest price I had seen in weeks, go figure. Expedia, Orbitz, etc. still had some regular rooms available until Sunday, then they started saying 'call for availability'.

Looking more closely at DLH and checking availability day by day, it looks like the 24th/25th is where things start to get slammed, the 22nd/23rd have some other room types open.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they are doing some kind of inventory management
It's possible they had only one of each room type available - so five people booking could have sold it out. Doesn't necessarily mean that the whole hotel sold out overnight. In any event, we have been to DLR many times when hotels were at capacity, and the crowds were manageable.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
zurgmouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswh View Post
It's possible they had only one of each room type available - so five people booking could have sold it out. Doesn't necessarily mean that the whole hotel sold out overnight. In any event, we have been to DLR many times when hotels were at capacity, and the crowds were manageable.
Very true, anything is possible. Just a surprising twist and I was hoping I wasn't missing some major convention/event.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
nana50
DIS Veteran

I am also wondering. I had to stay Monday night instead of Tuesday because they were booked. I'm taking my sister and her husband from Seattle, so it's not like I have too much choice of which days to go. I'm also wondering if I should do CA Monday and DL Tuesday or vice versa. My sister is in a EVC and maybe my brother-in-law also, so running back and forth is not what we do. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
PattiPB
I'll be happy to learn the secret fruitcake dance once it is perfected
What happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas for a DISing marathon runner
You might have to run all the way here to Vegas

Tuesday through Sunday of that week (April 23-28) there is an international high school convention. If you are familiar with CTSO's, it is DECA's International Career Development Conference. There will be approximately 15000 high school students from across the country and nine other countries competing that week.

I was stunned that we are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. It is the ONLY one of the resorts we are taking over---many states are staying at other Anaheim properties. During that week, expect thousands of kids in the parks every day.

I'm happy, because not only am I an advisor, but my son also qualified to compete. Plus...it's Disneyland! If I were the unknowing tourist.....different feeling altogether.

WDW '77, '81, '85-'96, '99, '01-'14 DCL Wonder '04, '05, '11
UO '88-'89, '99, '01, '04-'06, '08, '10-'11, 13 DL AP holders '96-'03, '05-'11 Day Guest '12 - '14

DVC Owners at SSR!!! January 2007 Visited so far: SSR, OKW, AKL-KV & J, VWL, & BWV!

runDISNEY Events: Expedition Everest Challenge (2013 and 2014) Tower of Terror 10-miler (2013)
Disneyland Half (2014) Wine & Dine Half (2014) Star Wars Half (2015)
ME!, DH, DD '94, DS '96, DS '98
PattiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
profa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
I am also wondering. I had to stay Monday night instead of Tuesday because they were booked. I'm taking my sister and her husband from Seattle, so it's not like I have too much choice of which days to go. I'm also wondering if I should do CA Monday and DL Tuesday or vice versa. My sister is in a EVC and maybe my brother-in-law also, so running back and forth is not what we do. Any thoughts?
Monday is EE at CA and Tues is MM at DL. So keep that into consideration.

I totally forgot, but yes, I remember one of my students telling me that the convention is in anaheim. Well hopefully they will be busy w/ their presentations and sessions during much of the day? My niece went a few yrs ago and it was in Dallas. Anaheim sounds more fun
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
pippi
Mouseketeer

Oh great! We're going during our Spring Break Which is late but I was very happy about Spring Break being over for many other schools/states. I really hope it's not crowded at the parks. We're going cross country to avoid crowds. (crossing my fingers)
pippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
carisa81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiPB View Post
Tuesday through Sunday of that week (April 23-28) there is an international high school convention. If you are familiar with CTSO's, it is DECA's International Career Development Conference. There will be approximately 15000 high school students from across the country and nine other countries competing that week.

I was stunned that we are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. It is the ONLY one of the resorts we are taking over---many states are staying at other Anaheim properties. During that week, expect thousands of kids in the parks every day.

I'm happy, because not only am I an advisor, but my son also qualified to compete. Plus...it's Disneyland! If I were the unknowing tourist.....different feeling altogether.
So they will be having meetings during the week? I've never heard of these clubs before. What do they do? What is it for?

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as a Child~countless times.

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Hoping to go this June, 2014!
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
PattiPB
I'll be happy to learn the secret fruitcake dance once it is perfected
What happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas for a DISing marathon runner
You might have to run all the way here to Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisa81 View Post
So they will be having meetings during the week? I've never heard of these clubs before. What do they do? What is it for?
These are national competitive high school clubs that cover different skills and career occupations. DECA is "An Association of Marketing Students". FBLA is "Future Business Leaders of America". There are several others, but both FBLA and DECA have nationals in Anaheim this year. DECA is this April week, and FBLA is the last week in June [early warning system!!!].

Their competitive events keep them busy sporadically through the week, with workshops and leadership training in between. Both conventions sell up to 3-day parkhoppers and twilight tickets, so kids are moving in and out of the parks throughout the week. Wednesday is "DECA Day at Universal", too.

For more information, add .org to their acronyms. Hope that helps~

WDW '77, '81, '85-'96, '99, '01-'14 DCL Wonder '04, '05, '11
UO '88-'89, '99, '01, '04-'06, '08, '10-'11, 13 DL AP holders '96-'03, '05-'11 Day Guest '12 - '14

DVC Owners at SSR!!! January 2007 Visited so far: SSR, OKW, AKL-KV & J, VWL, & BWV!

runDISNEY Events: Expedition Everest Challenge (2013 and 2014) Tower of Terror 10-miler (2013)
Disneyland Half (2014) Wine & Dine Half (2014) Star Wars Half (2015)
ME!, DH, DD '94, DS '96, DS '98
PattiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Hmm. What about that sat, the 26th? Will they be competing then?
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
zurgmouse
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the info PattiPB, very helpful and it answers the question which started this thread.

We've been considering pushing our trip out a week - but doing so would cause some problems. I found the DECA agenda for that week, seems like almost everything takes place during the day (Pre 7pm) - I'm a little less concerned now. Maybe DECA booking up all of the hotels will keep other tourists away

Here's a link to the agenda should you wish to view: (Sorry for the broken link but I can't post full links yet - I need 10 posts!)
1. Visit deca .org
2. Click 'Events'
3. Scroll to April 24th, click 'read more'
4. Click 'Conference Agenda' (2nd link down on the list)

PattiPB, my family was a bit concerned at the thought of 15k HS students flooding Disneyland as we have young kids and wanted to spend quiet time at the DLH pools, etc. But, from what you have said, it seems like this would be a pretty good group of kids and not ones looking to cause trouble. Have you been to past conferences - if so, are things usually managed pretty well?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: