Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
rag10576
Earning My Ears

Dreamworks

Dreamworks is laying off 350 employees. Will Disney make a bid to purchase them? Things arent looking good for Dreamworks.
rag10576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
Dreamworks is laying off 350 employees. Will Disney make a bid to purchase them? Things arent looking good for Dreamworks.
First, I don't think it's correct to say, "Things aren't looking good for DreamWorks."

This news is about DreamWorks Animation (aka DreamWorks Animation SKG), not about DreamWorks (aka DreamWorks SKG). DreamWorks Animation was spun off from DreamWorks as a separate company almost a decade ago.

DreamWorks movies are distributed through Disney under Disney's Touchstone brand.

DreamWorks Animation movies are not distributed through Disney. DreamWorks Animation has a long history of success -- notably the Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, and Madagascar series -- although there have also been a number of duds over the years ago. DreamWorks Animation just reported a $82.7 million loss for the 4th quarter 2012 and layoffs of 350 people to reduce the company's cost structure. But that doesn't mean the company is in trouble.

It's not as if Disney could buy DreamWorks Animation SKG and its roster of characters for a pittance. The company currently has a market cap $1.36 billion, and an unsolicited bid from Disney would probably require a substantial premium over that market cap.

As a fan of animation, I want Disney to have competitors who also make good animated features. I wouldn't want the same executives to control Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks Animation.

There would not seem to be much to gain from Disney buying DreamWorks Animation -- not for Disney, not for DreamWorks Animation, and not for moviegoers.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer

They are laying off 15% of their staff. It's a big number, but it doesn't mean that Dreamworks Animation is in trouble. A bad year means cuts, but their upcoming slate isn't too bad. This year has "The Croods" and "Turbo," both of which could go either way, although there is a "Turbo" TV series in development with Netflix, so they are optimistic about that. 2014 has "How to Train Your Dragon 2" which will probably do VERY well, along with two other films. 2015 has a "Madagascar" spin off with the penguins and three other films. 2016 has "Kung Fu 3" and " Dragon 3", so that will likely be a great year for the studio. Plus there are numerous films in development without a release date ("Puss in Boots 2" "Captain Underpants"). So, in the long run, they'll probably be fine.
NYUBwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
rag10576
Earning My Ears

But it wouldnt be a bad deal if Disney made an offer to them. After all Disney has helped with distribution rights to there films in the past.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
But it wouldnt be a bad deal if Disney made an offer to them. After all Disney has helped with distribution rights to there films in the past.
Disney has never been involved with the distribution of movies from Dreamworks Animation.

Now Dreamworks Animation has a new marketing and distribution deal Twentieth Century Fox -- from 2013 through 2017. DreamWorks Animation has done a good job licensing their IP for theme park and cruise line use.

What would Disney gain from owning DreamWorks Animation? And what would DreamWorks Animation gain by giving up its independence?

For any merger to make sense, the combined company must see a business advantage compared to remaining separate. It's easy to make a case that Disney and Pixar are better off together than as separate companies. I don't see how such a case can be made for Disney and DreamWorks Animation.

If The Walt Disney Company wants to increase its production of animated features, the company can simply fund projects at Walt Disney Animation Studios and/or Pixar Animation Studios.

There is no need to take on the baggage and overhead of another company -- especially a company that has its IP committed to various partners, including Twentieth Century Fox (marketing and distribution), SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (DreamWorks' Madagascar), Universal Parks (DreamWorks' Shrek), and big theme park deals in Europe.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 02-28-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
rag10576
Earning My Ears

What better than to get to see the (books) of your competitors?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer

As Horace Horsecollar said, Disney distributes Dreamworks, NOT Dreamworks Animation. They are two different companies. It makes no sense, business-wise, to try to take over Dreamworks Animation. And I don't think they have any intent on allowing themselves to be bought up by Disney.
Heck, the co-founder and current CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg used to work for Disney and left on less than good terms. Granted, most of that had to do with Eisner, but I don't necessarily think he'd want his animation company to be bought out by Disney.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
rag10576
Earning My Ears

He may not have a choice if the upcoming movies are not a hit and profitable.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
What better than to get to see the (books) of your competitors?
Making an offer to to acquire a company does not provide automatic access to the company's books. It's not a way to force a competitor to share accounting minutia.

Besides, Dreams Animation SKG is a public company, and the numbers that really matter are reported to the SEC. They're available to anyone with a web browser and an internet connection.

Movie box office numbers are also reported.

Quote:
If Dreamworks Animation SKG has a string of duds, Disney will have even less reason to be interested in acquiring it.

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 02-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
It seems DASKG has bet the whole company on "The Croods" at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
If Dreamworks Animation SKG has a string of duds, Disney will have even less reason to be interested in acquiring it.
Unless they wanted some of the properties they already own...I'm sure Universal would LOVE to pay Disney more royalties for having Shrek in the parks
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
rag10576
Earning My Ears

I hope they plan on heavy promotion. Never even heard of The Croods?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
I hope they plan on heavy promotion. Never even heard of The Croods?
Opening March 22: http://www.thecroodsmovie.com/
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
NYUBwayBaby
Mouseketeer

Honestly, it's the only kid friendly movie opening up in, like, a month. I mean, Oz is family friendly, but I think it may be too scary for small kids. "Escape from Planet Earth" is out now, and even though I saw no advertising for it the 2D shows have been quite busy at the theater I manage. I see ads for the Croods quite often.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
rag10576
Earning My Ears

Just saw the preview for the Croods. Looks like a Flop.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYUBwayBaby View Post
Honestly, it's the only kid friendly movie opening up in, like, a month. I mean, Oz is family friendly, but I think it may be too scary for small kids. "Escape from Planet Earth" is out now, and even though I saw no advertising for it the 2D shows have been quite busy at the theater I manage. I see ads for the Croods quite often.
Agreed, my DD does not want to see OZ and she would probably freak out if I took her. She saw Escape from Planet Earth and seemed to like it enough. But she has seen the Crood trailer and acts out the characters and is super excited to see it when it comes out.

Kung Fu Panda 3 is also coming out soon but as for the 350 people that got fired, it's probably all the people that developed Rise of the Guardians. That was terrible! I couldn't believe that was a concept for a movie when I saw the trailer. I took DD to it and she was so bored she asked to leave half way through the movie, and she's never done that!
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: