Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
DanaG
Earning My Ears

1st time Disney cruise and undecided about rooms

My family of three are taking our first Disney cruise Nov 9th on the Wonder out of Galveston.
I originally wanted to get an ocean view room with veranda on deck 8. Then I thought maybe a room on deck 5 would be better because it would be closer to the kids activities for my six year old. I was wondering how much time do you really stay in the room and is it worth the extra money for the veranda?

Also, we are traveling during the school year. Will there still be a lot of kids on the ship? My six year old loves to play with other kids and with it being during the school term I was afraid there wouldn't be very many for her to play with.

Last question, how are the pools during the beginning of November? Are they still warm enough to swim in?
DanaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
ajjcarlin
Earning My Ears

We barely spent any time in our room....there's always a lot of kids no matter what time of year. They will heat the pools if the temp. goes below 75 degrees.
ajjcarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
tcrowley
Mouseketeer

Smile

We traveled in October 2012 the ship was loaded with kiddos. We also had a veranda on deck 9 and we loved it . We are cruising again next May 2014 and Dh only request a veranda . You will have a wonderful time regardless

tcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

Water Temp in Grand Caymans 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG View Post
My family of three are taking our first Disney cruise Nov 9th on the Wonder out of Galveston.
I originally wanted to get an ocean view room with veranda on deck 8. Then I thought maybe a room on deck 5 would be better because it would be closer to the kids activities for my six year old. I was wondering how much time do you really stay in the room and is it worth the extra money for the veranda?

Also, we are traveling during the school year. Will there still be a lot of kids on the ship? My six year old loves to play with other kids and with it being during the school term I was afraid there wouldn't be very many for her to play with.

Last question, how are the pools during the beginning of November? Are they still warm enough to swim in?
Just did Magic out of Galveston. If this is your first cruise, get the Varanda stateroom. We had 7078 & 7080. Free drink machine is on deck 9 aft. Pools are on 9. You will learn quick, easy to walk down and ride elevator up. Dinner is on deck 3. Shops on 4.

Had two grand children older but their is something for all the kids. A little luck and you will not see 6 year old. Give the child a wave phone show how to use it and they can reach you from anywhere on the ship.

Recommend swim with sting rays Grand Cayman, and a trip to HELL and turtle farm.

Last edited by Beermam42; 02-26-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Wrong deck
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
DanaG
Earning My Ears

Thanks!!

Thank you all so much for the information! We are so excited about going and taking our 6 year old daughter!!
DanaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Cats12
Mouseketeer

For a different perspective: I booked late and ended up with a veranda on the Dream. Went on it exactly twice, once when we went in and were looking around and once right before we left. Just nothing to see. Guess we're not veranda people. Obviously lot of people love it, so only you know whether you're the type to like to sit out there. I'll keep booking my insides, thank you.

Cats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

My family went on the Nov. 17 Magic from Galveston. We were in a Cat 5A veranda room on deck 7. I loved the location, 2 floors down to the kids club and 2 floors up to the pool. DD was still taking naps, so we spent lots of time on the veranda. We ordered room service for breakfast on port days. It was nice to eat breakfast and drink my coffee on the veranda. I found it very relaxing to sit out there.

It was warm enough to swim in the pools most days. It was pretty chilly for the sail away. We wore light jackets that day. But it warmed up quickly the next day. The last day was pretty chilly, too. My kids swam for a bit in the morning, but they got cold and wanted to get out. The days in between were fabulous! The highs were in the upper 80's and mostly sunny the entire time.

Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

If money is no problem get the Roy Disney Suite. If you are like most of us get save your money and get an inside room because you will not spend much time in it.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Our decision to verandah or not depends on how many sea days there are and if we have a child who requires a daytime nap. Less sea days + napping child = inside/porthole room and pre-booking nursery during naptime. More sea days + napping child = verandah. Of course, all of this is assuming we have a financial choice about the verandah. On the new ships, for instance, we could barely afford an inside room at their current prices, much less a verandah, and since they sail from FL we are not exactly flexible for the *GT rates.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Been on the Wonder twice and love the 5A veranda staterooms on Deck 7. 2 up to the deck and pools, just a few floors down to dining and entertainment. We really never needed to wait for an elevator that way. I had read that Deck 8 has early-morning noise from the cleaning of the pool decks, and that a good choice on a ship is a floor with rooms above and below it (instead of dining, pools, theaters, etc.)

I like being able to go out on the veranda (and we used it on both cruises). It also made our room seem much larger and it was so nice to be able to get some fresh air in there.

I would bet that kids will be in the pools in November since the pools were filled in June in Alaska (and believe me, it was quite chilly up there in Alaska).

Good luck with your planning -- I hope you have a great cruise!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Our decision to verandah or not depends on how many sea days there are and if we have a child who requires a daytime nap. Less sea days + napping child = inside/porthole room and pre-booking nursery during naptime. More sea days + napping child = verandah. Of course, all of this is assuming we have a financial choice about the verandah. On the new ships, for instance, we could barely afford an inside room at their current prices, much less a verandah, and since they sail from FL we are not exactly flexible for the *GT rates.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
This is really well stated. At the end of the day, are you the person who will be on the verandah or off doing stuff around the ship? We had an inside room on the Magic for a 10 day Med Cruise. On day 7, we went to the room around 2:00 and my daughter said: "Oh look, this is what our room looks like during the day!"
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I always recommend a Verandah if money is not that big an issue. Any Verandah is better that no Verandah IMHO. With that said, I love deck 7! Had deck 7 on 10 of my 12 cruises. Not too far up to the free soda and food and only 4 decks down to most other things.

For you however, if you have to ask if it is worth it..... you might book inside. My DW would NEVER say inside room, but that's just her. My DW likes to do puzzle books and just relax on the Verandah. I get to sit and look out while watching movies on the TV, when we are not doing other things.

Just let me warn you, once you do the Verandah there is a good chance you won't go inside.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
JimGA
Mouseketeer

If the pools are on deck 9, I would allow a one floor buffer, go with deck 7

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
dpswift
DIS Veteran

We had a verandah on our first cruise since then only inside rooms. On Disney catagory 10 (inside split bath) is great. We love being out and about on cruises and use the extra money for excursions.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Our last cruise was right before Christmas and we booked late. We need 2 rooms and not much was left. Got 1large window and 1 veranda. I was on it once to look at it. My husband used it once to look for us and wave on our way back from cc!

We have 2 inside on our upcoming 8 night. I think inside is more than fine. We only get deluxe though so we have split baths! Hth
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: