Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Lyn-CA
DIS Veteran

Question Renting a villa at Grand Californian

Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip to DLR in late September through early October of this year. The last time we were there was in 2007. We just got back from a wonderful 12 day trip to WDW last month with our 2 year old. We got spoiled staying at suites-Art of Animation and then Bonnet Creek.

So, we would love to get a villa at the Grand Californian for this trip. I wanted to post here and see if any DVC owners would be willing to rent out to us. If so, please PM me.

Also, what other ways are there to secure a villa without going directly through Disney as they want at least $700 a night

Thanks in advance.

Lyn
AoA/Wyndham Bonnet Creek 1/13*POR/CBR/Swan/Contemporary 12/07*Disneyland Grand Californian b-day trip 9/06*Disneyland Hotel b-day trip 9/04*AKL 8/03*Disneyland 12/02*Beach Club & Magic 5/00* Disneyland b-day trip 9/99*Sports & WL 9/98
BEFORE DISCOVERING TRUE DISNEY MAGIC:
Disneyland 12/89*Disneyland 7/86
Lyn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

My understanding is that these go pretty quickly.

We have a time share through Intrawest that gives us access to the villas second to DVC members. There are a few other time shares that are given access too after us at a certain amount of months out.

Even being 'second' in line we can basically only get in during low season, and even then not necessarily. We have to book it about 7 months in advance aswell.

Next trip: Disneyland May 2014
March 2012 - Disneyland
January 2010 - DisneyWorld
March 2007 - Disneyland
September 2004 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland
September 1997 - Disneyland
October 1992 - Disneyland

-------
Blogging about life as a stay at home mom, reviewing great family friendly products and talking about my love of Disney.

http://www.momentsinmommyland.com/
Carolynleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn-CA View Post
Hi everyone,

So, we would love to get a villa at the Grand Californian for this trip. I wanted to post here and see if any DVC owners would be willing to rent out to us. If so, please PM me.

Lyn
There is a separate "DVC" board on here and in that board there is a sub-forum where people do post points they have available for sale/trade etc. It's an "at your own risk" type thing of course.

There is also a website that Dis and a few other disney board sites to recommend as tried and true - google Dave's DVC and you should find it easily.

But yeah go check out the DVC section for sure - there is lots of tips etc for this over there :-)
awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

You can go to the DVC board. I just rented through David's and was fine. I will say you want to jump on that sooner than later -- those book up FAST. I went through David's and just reserved 2 studios end of January for December!

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

The 7 month booking window is now open for DVC members to book for late September so I would get on that now if you want to rent an owners points. Since the VGC have a very small amount of rooms they get snatched up quickly!
If I were you I would contact Davids asap and see if he has any points that would work for your trip.

2013-Christmas at Aulani!!2012-November-Grand Cali!! 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynleanne View Post
My understanding is that these go pretty quickly.

We have a time share through Intrawest that gives us access to the villas second to DVC members. There are a few other time shares that are given access too after us at a certain amount of months out.

Even being 'second' in line we can basically only get in during low season, and even then not necessarily. We have to book it about 7 months in advance aswell.
We are DVC members & own here @ VGC but own another timeshare (weeks) that we trade out though RCI. I often see trades for WDW resorts but have NEVER YET seen any for VGC. Do you see alot through Intrawest? Is it an exchange company? I know I can get into DVC (WDW) though RCI but I would like to also use it for getting "back INTO" VGC when I may be out of points.
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
icephoenix25
Earning My Ears

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Yes, you must get on reservations early for the VGC. There's only I'm told 50 units total and we have to utilize our 11 month window to get the rooms and dates we want. Typically it is booked up within a day or so once the 7 month window becomes available for folks that don't have it as their home resort.
icephoenix25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Lyn-CA
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I already contacted David's DVC. They have availability but no points to put towards it. They have us on a waiting list once points become available. I did hear from a VGC owner directly who may be able to help.
AoA/Wyndham Bonnet Creek 1/13*POR/CBR/Swan/Contemporary 12/07*Disneyland Grand Californian b-day trip 9/06*Disneyland Hotel b-day trip 9/04*AKL 8/03*Disneyland 12/02*Beach Club & Magic 5/00* Disneyland b-day trip 9/99*Sports & WL 9/98
BEFORE DISCOVERING TRUE DISNEY MAGIC:
Disneyland 12/89*Disneyland 7/86
Lyn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
We are DVC members & own here @ VGC but own another timeshare (weeks) that we trade out though RCI. I often see trades for WDW resorts but have NEVER YET seen any for VGC. Do you see alot through Intrawest? Is it an exchange company? I know I can get into DVC (WDW) though RCI but I would like to also use it for getting "back INTO" VGC when I may be out of points.
I'm not sure because Intrawest works differently then RCI and such... With Intrawest we don't have a home resort. We just have a certain amount of points per year and book through their system usually 6 months to 1.5 years in advance depending on wherever we want to stay.

For example with the Grand Villas, DVC members have first priority for a certain amount of time. Then it opens up for us and if there is availability we can book it. After that it goes to RCI and such, but I hear it very rarely gets to that point.

Inyrawest Members have to be present to even use the points so I'm not sure we could even sell off a week or trade it or what not. I could be wrong though!

March 2012 - Disneyland
March 2007 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland

-------
Blogging about life as a stay at home mom, reviewing great family friendly products and talking about my love of Disney.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynleanne View Post
I'm not sure because Intrawest works differently then RCI and such... With Intrawest we don't have a home resort. We just have a certain amount of points per year and book through their system usually 6 months to 1.5 years in advance depending on wherever we want to stay.

For example with the Grand Villas, DVC members have first priority for a certain amount of time. Then it opens up for us and if there is availability we can book it. After that it goes to RCI and such, but I hear it very rarely gets to that point.

Inyrawest Members have to be present to even use the points so I'm not sure we could even sell off a week or trade it or what not. I could be wrong though!
I should also note that getting into Disney WORLD resorts is super easy for us, I guess cause there are so many. But Disneyland only has like one option so we HAVE to go off season to even have a chance.

March 2012 - Disneyland
March 2007 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland

-------

Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Dave's is a good idea. The DISBoards have strict rules on requests for renting points, which are outlined on the Rent/trade Board. In addition, members are not allowed to find availability for other DISers if asked.

No worries, since many DISers don't know about it, but I didn't want you to run afoul of them.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
Club Intrawest is a points-based timeshare with resorts in several locations. They (CI) have a direct exchange with DVC through DVC's Buena Vista Trading Company.

For a DVC member to book a CI resort, you would have to phone the request through DVC Member Services. I assume a similar path is taken by CI members trying to book DVC -- that they work through their own reservation department.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Club Intrawest is a points-based timeshare with resorts in several locations. They (CI) have a direct exchange with DVC through DVC's Buena Vista Trading Company.

For a DVC member to book a CI resort, you would have to phone the request through DVC Member Services. I assume a similar path is taken by CI members trying to book DVC -- that they work through their own reservation department.
Yep we do. That's exactly right.

March 2012 - Disneyland
March 2007 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland

-------

Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn-CA View Post
We are planning a trip to DLR in late September through early October of this year. The last time we were there was in 2007. We just got back from a wonderful 12 day trip to WDW last month with our 2 year old. We got spoiled staying at suites-Art of Animation and then Bonnet Creek.

So, we would love to get a villa at the Grand Californian for this trip.
What type of villa do you want? A studio, a 1-Bedroom, or larger? And how many nights? Just wondering what a 12-night WDW person is planning on doing at DLR.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icephoenix25 View Post
Yes, you must get on reservations early for the VGC. There's only I'm told 50 units total and we have to utilize our 11 month window to get the rooms and dates we want. Typically it is booked up within a day or so once the 7 month window becomes available for folks that don't have it as their home resort.
Yep. Florida DVC owners usually have to walk in their reservations night by night, as each day crosses the 7 month barrier.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: