Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Easter Egg hunt reveal

We don't do Easter baskets, just never had a reason to add to the trinkets/junk as a reason to give gifts, but since friends have already started talking about the EB and their baskets and we have collected a ton of practical, needed items for traveling and the trip, this may be the year to introduce it. And she has been on a few hunts so knows the concept. We leave for WDW on May 8 so about a month before would be Easter and we are thinking of doing an egg hunt as her reveal, with the basket as the surprise. We would also likely do it at my mom's since we will be spending Easter weekend there, and my that way mom can be part of the excitement even though she is not going with us.

Has anyone done this or have ideas about how implement?
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

And to add that she is just turning 5 in June and is not much of a reader yet--she knows some words but not enough to be able to put together mixed up letters or words to spell out "We're going to Disney World!" or anything like that, which are most of the ideas I have seen. And it is really important to us that she figure out her surprise, not have one of us read or explain it to her.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Use pictures! Show Mickey Mouse and the main gate sign at WDW. A plane flying etc... Just because she can't read yet doesn't mean she can't figure it out!
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Long before reading started, by son recognized logos and fonts. He knew the Disneyland logo easily. Does your daughter do the same? If so, use that to your advantage.

I have to urge you, though, to tone down your expectations of this. It might go great, but it might also require explanation and talking. Don't let that ruin anything for you.

But I'm not a surprise person. My son was fully involved with trip planning even at four going on five.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

oh, she is at the PERFECT age to get this. I'm also super practical (for the most part) in what the kids get in their baskets -- toothbrushes, swim gear and pool stuff, gardening things and other spring stuff. Luggage tags! yep, I'm that mom. I'd actually use the eggs as clues to lead to the basket for the big reveal. Here's what you can put in the eggs or leave as part of the "trail".

* money -- my kids are delighted to get quarters, dimes, pennies, whatever! in an egg. They put it in their piggy bank and promptly forget about it. Good savings that way.

* Disney fruit gummies -- get a box of the fruit gummies in what she likes -- princesses, toy story, fairies, nemo, etc. -- and use the packets in eggs.

* Disney band-aids and stickers. I probably wouldn't want to take them out of the box but you can use the box itself in the clue train and cut up stickers to fit several eggs

* Disney hair clips -- these fit easily inside eggs

* fake jewerly -- also fit easily inside eggs

* just cut out pictures of the fab 5

* luggage tag

* toy airplane

You can have a big picture of disneyworld on the basket and I'm betting she'll get the idea. You might have to explain it a bit. You could have the last egg be a big golden one and print up a fake ticket for WDW with the crew on it.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Oh Pesky, thank you! That is exactly the kind of inspiration I need--I was thinking everything would have to be words/written out and I know my girl, even if she recognized the text it would frustrate her that she couldn't actually read the whole thing. By a few eggs into the hunt she will def get it. And we have so many of those little things, plus eggs large enough to put even a swimsuit or Tshirt in.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
auprincess
DIS Veteran

We did that last year! It was fun ~ we had just a regular old egg hunt, but I had numbered the eggs and put one word in each egg. When the girls gathered, I had them open each egg and put the sentence together "In six days we are going to Walt Disney World!" Of course, there was drama, the video is great, lol! and I had to put the "in six days" first b/c I didn't want them to think we were about to leave right then!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
oh, she is at the PERFECT age to get this. I'm also super practical (for the most part) in what the kids get in their baskets -- toothbrushes, swim gear and pool stuff, gardening things and other spring stuff. Luggage tags! yep, I'm that mom.
The last easter basket I made for my husband the actual basket was a 2 quart stainless steel pan he had been eyeing I'm so practical in some things my kids are going to hate me.
Great Ideas BTW
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
scooffer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
oh, she is at the PERFECT age to get this. I'm also super practical (for the most part) in what the kids get in their baskets -- toothbrushes, swim gear and pool stuff, gardening things and other spring stuff. Luggage tags! yep, I'm that mom. I'd actually use the eggs as clues to lead to the basket for the big reveal. Here's what you can put in the eggs or leave as part of the "trail".

* money -- my kids are delighted to get quarters, dimes, pennies, whatever! in an egg. They put it in their piggy bank and promptly forget about it. Good savings that way.

* Disney fruit gummies -- get a box of the fruit gummies in what she likes -- princesses, toy story, fairies, nemo, etc. -- and use the packets in eggs.

* Disney band-aids and stickers. I probably wouldn't want to take them out of the box but you can use the box itself in the clue train and cut up stickers to fit several eggs

* Disney hair clips -- these fit easily inside eggs

* fake jewerly -- also fit easily inside eggs

* just cut out pictures of the fab 5

* luggage tag

* toy airplane

You can have a big picture of disneyworld on the basket and I'm betting she'll get the idea. You might have to explain it a bit. You could have the last egg be a big golden one and print up a fake ticket for WDW with the crew on it.

what a great idea from you and the OP!! I promised DH that I would keep it a complete surprise that we are going until the day we leave... but I am getting so excited! My DS6 has some challenges with change, he hates change... I am nervous that if we tell him on the way to the train, he just may get really upset about something silly like him missing 2 days of school! Plus, DH6 claims he does not want to go back until The Mine Ride is open...

Since we are leaving April 11, this would only be 11 days before our trip, still a cool surprise!

I hope I can convince DH!! Thanks again!!

April 2014 - Family Gathering Lake Buena Vista Village and Spa 7 adults 5 kids
April 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
April 2012 - Port Of Orleans French Quarter (perfect in every way!)
May 2011 - Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (loved it!)
scooffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: