Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
scanmom
DIS Veteran

Spirit airlines 9$ club ?

I am thinking of joining, it is $59.95/year, I saw some great fares on their site. Is this for real? Or will these great fares disappear when I join and try to book them? The membership fee is non-refundable, and the closest airport that uses Spirit airlines is a 4 hour drive for us...worth it if the low fares are real, but I don't want to be duped!!!

can't wait to get back to the "real" world!
scanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I don't understand how you can save enough money on airfare to make it worth driving four hours each way to the airport; especially to fly on Spirit Airlines.

Do a Google search or a board search (when it's working). You'll find plenty of information about Spirit.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Arkum
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind that with Spirit, you are charged for even carry on baggage, drinks, snacks, check on luggage is limited to to 40 pounds. If you are fine with all the incidental charges (which are not cheap) then maybe it would be worth it if you fly often.
Arkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Donna M
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you have never flown on Spirit. I've read a lot reviews. I have not flown them and don't want to take a chance after reading about them.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Time is money. 4 hour drive to the airport+ arriving 2 hours before your flight= 12 hours of travel time.

Plus, Spirit's track record is not all that hot. My flights have been delayed 50% of the time I've flown with them- several 6 and 8 hour delays in there!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
scanmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks!

I knew I could count on the people here!! I read some reviews on Spirit, and YIKES!!! I don't think even if it were the closest airport to me I would fly them!! I ended up on a SWA flight out of OKC, which is about 2 hours from me and DS, and about 45 minutes from DD! I have flown SWA before, and I'm fine with them. Too bad the flights out of Tulsa are always sky high, very rarely do they have decent deals from Tulsa. so, I usually end up flying out of Dallas (4hrs), Kansas City (4-5 hrs), or OKC. At least I have a few opptions, even if they are a long drive.

can't wait to get back to the "real" world!
scanmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: