Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by todzwife View Post
(I say that totally kidding, of course-I'm a cautious driver!)

I'm curious if there is a "type" of double stroller that seems "less intrusive" to those who don't have kids. Personally, because I have kids, I understand the need for all types of strollers, including the huge double jogging strollers the size of a bus.

So if you had to choose, which would bother you less? A side by side or a tandem?
Tandems are longer, but narrower. Sometimes they are harder to push than a side by side.

Side by side: The only con to this is the width. It does fit through doorways but takes up more real estate on sidewalks.
I do have children ( 3 actually) but I see strollers as an opportunity. Six days ago I stood with about a thousand other people all wanting to get on Radiator's Springs. Anyone with a stroller had a distinct disadvantage, especially as my 13 year old, carried my 3 year old into the funnel that eventually became the line for RSR. We were on the ride within 20 minutes of the park opening.

So what would bother me less? Both kinds of strollers would bother me, to be honest. But, and this is a huge but, I see it as an opportunity. If you require a double stroller that should mean that both of your kids are close in age and pretty young, and my needs of a stroller are at this point pretty minimal so good luck "competing" with my flexibility.

My only 'beef' is when parents apologize over running over ankles. In my ten years of pushing a stroller I have never run over someone's ankles so it seems pretty contrite to me when I watch a parent apologize to the person they have just 'run over' . Please find the stroller that limits the ability to bump into the person in front of you and that is the stroller to use.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

First of all, hilarious title!

Second, if you really are seriously asking...

That first one? When it hits the back of the person in front of you it hits the achilles due to its design and OUCHIE! That thing hurts like no tomorrow. Seriously. Massive pain.

I think the way it is designed, it's just really difficult for the "driver" to see where it actually is. And the person that is in front becomes the victim.

Since you asked...
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

We used to use a sit and stand for a double stroller at the parks (it's a tandum). Our kids are 20 months apart and we really needed a double. I never had any issues pushing it in the parks. And I love that it wasn't wider then a regular single stroller. But that's my opinion. Plus, I could just see my boys hitting each other and bugging each other in the side by side. LOL. The sit and stand folded as small as my regular single stroller, so it really wasn't that much bigger. As the boys grew, it got harder to push because they were heavier. It was easier on flat ground (like at the parks) but around the neighborhood, drive way dips were the worst! It was really hard for me to keep the stroller on the sidewalk in a driveway dip when the boys got bigger. After that, we just brought two single strollers for each boy. The only time that was difficult was when I would want to take both boys, but my husband wasn't with us. (Which wasn't very often). As far as hitting people I can count on one hand the times I've hit someone. Every time because they walked in front of me and stopped. I always apologize because I feel terrible. And I really try my best to be considerate and careful.

Have you gone to the store and tested them out? See if one is more comfortable or easier to get the kids in and out? Or one has more/better storage? I would recommend doing that =) And good luck!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit
We've found that it isn't the stroller itself (as the PP said, use whichever model suits your needs best), but the grown-up pushing the stroller.
Yep. My husband could run into people while using the Volo. I never to my knowledge ran into anything or anyone. DH once ran into a boulder on the path by big thunder.

To a child free person, going by my brother's opinion, there's no such thing as a less obtrusive double stroller. They all take up a lot of space one way or the other and he has no interest in being hit by anything. And I remember well being hit in the Achilles repeatedly by a stroller at a Scottish festival 20 years ago. It HURTS.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
todzwife
There's nothing worse than walking around with a wet butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal1313 View Post

Have you gone to the store and tested them out? See if one is more comfortable or easier to get the kids in and out? Or one has more/better storage? I would recommend doing that =) And good luck!
I actually own both strollers, but was genuinely curious if people who DON'T push strollers at the parks had a preference.

I have only run into people who cut in front of me and stop in the middle of the road and I don't have time to stop. Not my fault but I apologize anyway.

With this particular tandem, I can turn the front seat around, which eliminates the footrest bumping into someone's heel. But honestly, if there is a child in that front seat forward facing, if I was to run into someone, the child's knees would probably hit them in the calf, the stroller probably wouldn't even touch them. (which makes me even more wary of running into people because I don't want to run my kid into someone either!)

I'm not even sure we'll be bringing a double. A lot will depend on how the new baby is. If it's small like my other kids, chances are, I'll end up wearing it more often than not and we'll probably just bring a single for the 3 year old.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Oh, I see! I took my youngest when he was 2 months and carried him in a moby wrap the entire 4 days. It was great! Then we took a single stroller for our 22 month old. Worked out great. Have a great trip!
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Honestly, I could care less what stroller anyone uses, just please don't run into me and if you do just apologize, don't try to ignore that you did it. LOL

Oh and for the record, I'm not childless, we just didn't do DL until the kids didn't need strollers anymore.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419

Last edited by pixiewings71; 02-27-2013 at 12:21 PM.
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
Heymy
Mouseketeer

My Phil & Ted's tandem was worth every penny just for our Disney trips. That thing is a breeze to get around people, places and things. I'm so sad that my kids are too old now...yet somehow I can't part with the thing. I was worried that which ever kid got stuck on the bottom would be miserable...but no, they would fight over who would ride closest to the ground.

Heymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmersIsTheMommy View Post
I love love love sit and stand's for double strollers. It's the same width of a regular stroller so it isn't all..bus-like. lol

We had one until my son was old enough to walk in malls and I loved it. the only issue is that the old kid can't sit back and relax if they are riding for some time.

If you want a side by side, maybe check out a bike trailer instead. I think I am picking up one of these. It will fit through doors without the tire rails attached.
http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Double-B...I17YK1TQG49I9H
I like that the kid are more enclosed, to shut them off from the commotion if they want to sleep or get out of the sun. Also note that the stroller wheel attaches close to the body, not on the bike arm, much safer in crowds.
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

For me, I have a hard time with my depth perception when pushing a tandem. I can control my side by side a lot better and I don't think I've hit anyone's ankles with it... but like others have said, probably whichever you're more comfortable pushing.
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
profa
Mouseketeer

Personally I would not want to maneuver crowds w/ the double wide strollers. During fantasmic and WOC hrs it is a mess and hard to do even w/ a small umbrella stroller.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
BUDDHALUV
Earning My Ears

I seldom have issue with parent drivers, it is when they let their kids drive the stroller........NEVER NEVER let them do this in Crowds, I have had issues with an ankle and heel and had my day ruined by a little brat playing bumper cars in the crowd with a stroller.
BUDDHALUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #28
MICKEYFIL
Mouseketeer

Our kids are 21 months apart and last year when DD was 3 and DS was almost two we decided to take two strollers rather than a double. In my opinion, it is the way to go. So much easier to manage and get through crowds and if one goes one way the other can go the other. We were able to take one small umbrella stroller and a little bit larger stroller for storage.

If I had to pick a double stroller I would take a tandem stroller. That is what we use at home and I can never understand how anyone can navigate those side by side ones.
MICKEYFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
sherilaine
DIS Veteran

We are not child less but we are now stroller less - our kids are 9 and 10 and the days of a stroller are faint memories to us now.

I would say whatever you want - we did not mind people with strollers when we were at the parks - mind you it was not that busy but it certainly was not it's own attraction trying not to get run over by them from what I remember...

everyone has been a kid - whether you have kids or not - kids come with strollers, so don't worry about bothering anyone pushing yours...
March 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3247388

sherilaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
KristinRiess
Earning My Ears

I say it's not so much the stroller as the jerks who walk in front of the stroller then give you dirty looks because you can't stop on a dime and ran into them.
(Not saying everyone who gets hit cuts people off, but the ones who do then get snippy with me.... Grrr)
But, we use a sit and stand. I like longer as opposed to wider.
KristinRiess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: