Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Tay N Evie's Mom
Twin Mommy and Disney crazy!

Question Snorkeling & Very Nearsited

My DSIL is not sure if she'll be able to snorkel in Nassau. She's very nearsited and doesn't think she'll be able to see anything without her glasses and she can't wear contacts. She's never snorkeled before. DH is nearsited, but not as bad as his sister, so he's never had any problems with snorkeling without his glasses. I'd appreciate it if some of you can give me some feedback as to whether it would be possible for her to enjoy the excursion or should she pick something else.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

She could bring her own mask and have a prescription one made up

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
neffernie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
She could bring her own mask and have a prescription one made up
Prescription masks are pretty expensive if they aren't going to be used regularly but can be a nice alternative.

Another option might be one of the semi submarine rides.

neffernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
ao23
Earning My Ears

A prescription mask is definitely worth getting, and they're available online. There's nothing worse underwater than not being able to see.
ao23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
iluvDisneyCruise
If you can dream it, You can do it. ~Walt Disney

I ordered prescription swim goggles from swim outlet for under 20 dollars for CC. They worked great. I was really sceptical because Im so severly nearsighted, but I was very pleased.
iluvDisneyCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
ajh88
DIS Veteran

I agree with ordering Rx swim goggles. Me, DH, and DD are all near sighted to varying degrees. I got us Rx masks a couple of years ago - they aren't our exact prescriptions, just the general diopter (is that the right term?). Like, my right eye is -8.5 and my left eye is -9.25 so I ordered a -9 mask. Real Rx ones are very expensive, but the general ones were less than $30 - I think I got them on Amazon, but they may have been sold by Swim Outlet.

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Forever a Princess
One bottle of ketchup is not enough!

Ditto. We bought our own masks and the prescription lenses that went with the mask. One of best purchases we ever made.

I can dig up brand and pricing if you need it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
fluvannaj
Mouseketeer

we've ordered prescription mask for $50

My father is very near-sighted (think his lenses were -6.5 and -7.0) and we order him a mask that he was very pleased with. Just ordered my DH one for our upcoming cruise for $50 (free shipping) from Snorkelmart. The cheaper prices are from being able to take off the shelf lenses. Only comes in 0.5 increments. Custom are available for more money and time.

Best wishes!

Fluvanna

Disney Magic Eastern December 5-12, 2009

Disney Dream Bahamas October 23-27, 2011

Disney Fantasy Eastern B March 9-16, 2013

Disney Wonder Double Dip October 1-6, 2014
fluvannaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
davocabo
Earning My Ears

Great question and answers!!!!

My eyes are really bad, but it will be nice to have better vision!!

davocabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluvannaj View Post

. . . Just ordered my DH one for our upcoming cruise for $50

. . . The cheaper prices are from being able to take off the shelf lenses. Only comes in 0.5 increments.
I have a similar prescription snorkel mask. It's close to my prescription using off the shelf lenses, and is fantastic! I've used it for years, as recently as two weeks ago in Hawaii.

It's much cheaper than Lasik!

woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

I ordered a prescription mask online for around $55. It was TOTALLY worth it, and I just factored it into what I would spend on excursions. Cheap if you have it for a couple of years, you know?
Good luck snorkeling!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Another vote for just buying a generic RX mask with diopters that are close to your prescription. I have one & I wouldn't dream of going in the ocean to snorkel without it. My DS is a swimmer and I order him competitive RX goggles online all the time for the same cost as regular competitive goggles. We haven't gone snorkeling in a long time and his old mask doesn't have any lens correction so I plan on getting him one this summer before we go to Hawaii. You can also check for them at your local dive shops. Worth it not to miss the beautiful undersea world!!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
crundell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvDisneyCruise View Post
I ordered prescription swim goggles from swim outlet for under 20 dollars for CC. They worked great. I was really sceptical because Im so severly nearsighted, but I was very pleased.
I am so glad I found this thread! Ordered DS some Rx goggles today... never even thought about it since I am a contact junkie! $28 for the Rx goggles and some goggles for me and the girls. Really I am not expecting anything great, but I am sure in DS's world it will be so much better than not.
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crundell View Post
I am so glad I found this thread! Ordered DS some Rx goggles today... never even thought about it since I am a contact junkie! $28 for the Rx goggles and some goggles for me and the girls. Really I am not expecting anything great, but I am sure in DS's world it will be so much better than not.
The Speedo competitive ones are the ones I get for my DS from the Swim Outlet

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7789.htm

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
iluvDisneyCruise
If you can dream it, You can do it. ~Walt Disney

The Speedo Vanquisher are the ones I got and I love them. Some of my friends who were also nearsighted also used them at CC. They could not believe I got them so cheap. I still cant believe how close the diopter came to matching my prescription.
iluvDisneyCruise is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: