Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Talking Confused on how to spend day 2 @ parks

Our trip is just 3 months away, so I have been feeding my DL appetite by coming here & playing with touring plans on Ridemax.com. Our kids are still rather little (2 girly girls – ages 4 & 6). We will be using a stroller at the parks to save their little legs from total fatigue (and saving our sanity from total melt downs). Priorities for our trip are:
- At least 1 princess meet & greet
- An appt @ Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
- maximize mornings for rides so we don’t have to wait in long lines all day
- I am the only one who wants to ride a roller coaster like Space Mountain
- See a parade
- See Aladdin 1x @ DCA

We are NOT doing:
- Any character meals – it’s not in the budget
- Fireworks
- World of Color
- Fantasmic
- Meals at the Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, or similar restaurants

What I am struggling with right now is whether it is really worth it for us to stand in a line for an hour to ride Radiator Springs Racers. My kids liked the Cars movies, but, well, my kids are into princesses way more. I’ve read the big long thread about the “wide right” technique, but since we’ll have a stroller and our kids are still young (i.e., they can’t walk very fast), I am hung up on spending up to an hour or more in line first thing in the morning to go on one ride. I am tempted to skip RSR altogether and just go on Luigi’s & Mater’s rides instead and then hit up Toy Story Midway Mania and Soarin’ over CA.

We ** will ** have access to early entry at DCA on the Wed we are there because we’ll be staying at the DLH. Some other things that are roaming around my head are:
- About how long does it take to walk from the DLH to DL entrances?
- If you were going to hit up DL for a 7am early entry, what time would you want to be at the entrance for security screening before 7am?
- What might DCA’s park opening be the week of Memorial Day?
- Since the DCA early entry day will be day 2 of our trip, do we even bother to hit DL on that day at park opening (which may be 8am)? Or let my tired kids sleep in a little bit and do the DCA early entry (likely at 9am, if their normal park opening is @ 10am)…and then hop to DL after that?
- What is check-out time usually @ the DLH? We’ll be visiting DL on our check-out day. I’d like for us to hit DL early that day, then hubby or I go back to DLH by check-out time to check out, store our bags & such, while the other adult stays in DL with the kids. What are others’ experience doing this? Did this work ok for you? What would you have done differently?

My husband thinks that I am nuts but honestly, coming here is keeping me sane & it’s keeping me from telling my kids about the trip (we are going to surprise them…they have no idea!!!).
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Melidef3405
Earning My Ears

That darn RSR throws everything into a tizzy, doesn't it? My hubby keeps laughing about my constant "strategies" but I think we might skip the wide right technique & just head straight for fast passes as you stated. It might only give one chance to ride it but in the time we could spend in line for that, we could do other stuff. We were fortunate to be selected for the passholder preview before it opened, but it was broken down for about an hour & a half. I don't want to wait in the standby line & then have it break down again, so I'm thinking fp might be the way to go.

It's maybe 5-10 minute walk from DLH to the main entrances of the park. I suggest getting to the security check point around 6:30am if your EE is for 7am so you can be already lined up at the gate.

It doesn't get as much attention as RSR, but Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a HOOT!!! The line is usually pretty small. You're going to love Carsland, though. It's breathtaking how they were able to bring Radiator Springs to life.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
faith313
Mouseketeer

I would definitely do RSR on your early entry day. We got to our EE (AP holders) at about 7:15 and walked right in and right to RSR. We waited for about 15 minutes. It's worth it in my eyes, even if your girls aren't big CARS fans (neither is my 8 year old daughter - but she loves the ride!). It may be the only time you won't have to wait over an hour so I would add that to my game plan if I were you. The ride is amazing for both adults and children alike, no matter what age or gender!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
elliececil
Mouseketeer

DCA opens at the same time as DL since Carsland opened last June. So if DL at 8 then DCA at 8, not 10 as per-Carsland.
elliececil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your replies! It appears that the Touring Plans website is way out of date, in that case, because their site is predicting a 10am opening time for the Wed of Memorial Day week.

I think that we might give it the good old college try that Wed to do RSR during our early entry hour.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
elliececil
Mouseketeer

Hours aren't released yet for Memorial Day this year so most sites are using predicted times based on last year which aren't good before June's Carsland opening. Just look at all the Feb days and see that the opening times are the same for both parks.
elliececil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Heymy
Mouseketeer

Yes you will want to do RSR even with 2 girlie girls! Our world revolved around princesses 2 years ago and though they've slowly phased them out, they still embrace it at DLR. My girls absolutely LOVE RSR, that's all they can talk about for the upcoming trip. The walk from DLH to the security check in is 5-10 minutes if the kids are riding in the stroller and you're on a mission. As far as letting the kids sleep in, I say no way, that's what afternoon breaks are for, but DH would disagree on that one. We have gone to the parks on a check-out day many times. Check out is 11. So we've extended it to 12 noon to get enough done in the morning. Or if they don't extend it, we pack up and put everything with the bell desk outside and get it when it's time go.

Heymy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: