Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
EDH Family
Married to the Mouse

I've been on all 4 DCL ships as well as the Oasis. I believe the quality of food and it's offerings were better on the Oasis than DCL. Palo is still my favorite, but I love the roast beef sandwiches on the Oasis. Grant it, on DCL the kids programs are second to none. It's a preference, no more no less... It's what you want.... Please do not turn this thread into Pro-DCL and bash RCL thread as others have done on the Cabana thread.

2005 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-December * 2007 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-September * 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Mexican Riviera-June * 2009 Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas-February * 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-November * 2011 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas-April * 2011 Disney Wonder 7 Night Mexican Riviera-November-Roy Disney Suite! * 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-December * 2013 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas - March * 2013 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western-March * 2013 Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas-August *

**Upcoming*** Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern - April 19th 2014
EDH Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

I am not bashing RC at all, as I stated there are pros and cons and I would recommend both for different reasons. I don't think anyone was bashing, we were just comparing and answering questions, providing helpful information for those people wanting to learn more about the offerings on both, it's a travel board, discussing travel. We have sailed RC many times and will do it again, but it is my opinion that DCL is a higher standard in the cruiseline industry, doesn't mean I am bashing RC to compliment DCL.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
EDH Family
Married to the Mouse

Not saying you did.. I just don't want to see it.. Too many times, lurkers come on a thread and destroy it.

2005 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-December * 2007 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-September * 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Mexican Riviera-June * 2009 Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas-February * 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-November * 2011 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas-April * 2011 Disney Wonder 7 Night Mexican Riviera-November-Roy Disney Suite! * 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-December * 2013 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas - March * 2013 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western-March * 2013 Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas-August *

**Upcoming*** Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern - April 19th 2014
EDH Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDH Family View Post
Not saying you did.. I just don't want to see it.. Too many times, lurkers come on a thread and destroy it.
I know, I agree, I hesitate to even post sometime because things can get ugly. Thanks a bunch, have a great night
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
I am not bashing RC at all, as I stated there are pros and cons and I would recommend both for different reasons. I don't think anyone was bashing, we were just comparing and answering questions, providing helpful information for those people wanting to learn more about the offerings on both, it's a travel board, discussing travel. We have sailed RC many times and will do it again, but it is my opinion that DCL is a higher standard in the cruiseline industry, doesn't mean I am bashing RC to compliment DCL.
I thought your comments were good. It's nice to hear about the differences.

The problem for me is spending $$$$ to find out that I don't like something...so I don't mind hearing about others' experiences to decide.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I thought your comments were good. It's nice to hear about the differences.

The problem for me is spending $$$$ to find out that I don't like something...so I don't mind hearing about others' experiences to decide.
As a previous poster said, it is all opinion and what we like and don't like. For example, we spent a chunk on a Polynesian stay and we loved it, but I longed for the familiarity of Beach Club. I think there is something to be said about trying new things, but if you have limited opportunities to travel and you love DCL, then as they say, 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it'~ Maybe you can do a off season cruise on RC to try it, I would recommend the Oasis Allure family of ships or the next down that we sailed on this time, Liberty, Independence, and Freedom. We have sailed the class below this, the Adventure class, and really liked it as well, but they are getting older and I don't know what shape they are in. One thing to consider as well is itinerary. Try an itinerary on a different cruise line that really interests you, for us, it's the Eastern Caribbean and the Southern Caribbean. Our favorite itinerary on RC went out of San Juan to the Southern Caribbean - Aruba, Curacao, St. Marten, and St. Thomas - just gorgeous. Trying an itinerary that DCL doesn't offer may be a good reason to try something else.

It's kind of like trying Universal and Busch Gardens for us, we have had and will have fun there, but we will still be comparing to Disney, our favorite place to be!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
I appreciated reading your comments about RC and didn't interpret it as bashing at all. I had been thinking about trying a cruise on RC and was wondering about some of the things that you addressed. We'll give it a try one of these days but up next for us hopefully is a cruise on the Fantasy!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #23
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As a previous poster said, it is all opinion and what we like and don't like. For example, we spent a chunk on a Polynesian stay and we loved it, but I longed for the familiarity of Beach Club. I think there is something to be said about trying new things, but if you have limited opportunities to travel and you love DCL, then as they say, 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it'~ Maybe you can do a off season cruise on RC to try it, I would recommend the Oasis Allure family of ships or the next down that we sailed on this time, Liberty, Independence, and Freedom. We have sailed the class below this, the Adventure class, and really liked it as well, but they are getting older and I don't know what shape they are in. One thing to consider as well is itinerary. Try an itinerary on a different cruise line that really interests you, for us, it's the Eastern Caribbean and the Southern Caribbean. Our favorite itinerary on RC went out of San Juan to the Southern Caribbean - Aruba, Curacao, St. Marten, and St. Thomas - just gorgeous. Trying an itinerary that DCL doesn't offer may be a good reason to try something else.

It's kind of like trying Universal and Busch Gardens for us, we have had and will have fun there, but we will still be comparing to Disney, our favorite place to be!
I appreciate your comments and we are in a situation where we do have limited time to cruise. Probably every two years at best so I hate to spend money on a cruise be disappointed then have to wait another two years to go back to DCL.Unless their is a big difference I'm not concerned about price. Unfortunately sometimes when you pay less you get what you pay for. DCL is offering more itineraries each year which is something to consider. Another consideration is my wife's celiac and GF food allergy, WDW was way ahead of this years before anyone else and DCL has picked it right up.I guess one thing we are thinking about are the adult activities and areas on other cruise lines like RCCL and Celebrity that much better then DCL. If not then we may not switch.Well we have a while to make up our minds so thanks again for the comments they helped a great deal. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to hear other comments.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Sham62797
Earning My Ears

We have cruised RC allure of the seas with our 5 year old last year and loved it!!! This will be our first disney cruise with both our kids.. Can't wait until September.. Fantasy here we come!!!
Sham62797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #25
JillaMagilla
Learned My Ears

Just remember there is more -- a lot more -- to the realm of cruising than just DCL and RCI. Those who think DCL (or RCI) is the pinnacle would enjoy a revelation if they sampled the dining on Celebrity, experienced the level of service on Cunard or savored the live music entertainment on Princess.
JillaMagilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #26
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I hate to say this, but my reaction was the exact opposite. I got off the Dream and could not figure our how Disney continued to charge so much more for their product. Service was not good and ship had no charm.

My Disney cruises are all going to be on the older ships. If I want a megaship experience I can get the same or better for less on RCL
I have been on all 4 DCL ships and I put the Dream at the bottom as well. However, I feel like the Fantasy is vastly better.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Magic x2 - Mar Western, June Scandinavia ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/repo B2B ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

My very good friend said the same about RCI. She has not been on DCL, but has been on HAL, NCL, Princess & Carnival. She felt that Princess was classiest/nicest/best service, and nice food presentation, but that Carnival has the best food so far. Food is subjective. However, she did not care for her RCI cruise. She felt the up charges are ridiculous. $3.95 for a glass of fresh squeezed OJ. She was shocked that there were up charges in the main dining rooms. She felt that every where she turned around, they were charging you for something. She said the service was 'meh.' She is a super easy to please person. She was not pleased with her 5-night cruise with RCI.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Magic x2 - Mar Western, June Scandinavia ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/repo B2B ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

OP: I read your post with interest, having recently sailed myself on both the Liberty of the Seas and Disney Fantasy. While I had a very positive experience on the Liberty, I respect that your experience was different. As they say, YMMV.

Quote:

. . . We have cruised RC 6 other times
It sounds like you are on your way to reaching Crown & Anchor Club "Diamond" status (75 nights onboard). Good for you!

You said RCI does not allow BYOB. That's correct. But once you reach the Diamond level, that becomes a non-issue since Diamond members can attend each evening the private Diamond Lounge which has an open bar. When I was on the Liberty, the Diamond Lounge had a full open bar (soft drinks, beer, wine, champagne, mixed drinks, martinis, scotch, and much more), waitstaff, hot and cold appetizers (from buffalo chicken wings to chocolate covered strawberries), and live music (different performers rotated nightly). It's too bad DCL didn't do something like this for it's Platinum members.

While my DW and my favorite cruise line is DCL, we like to mix it up. In a 12-month period, we will have sailed DCL, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, HAL and NCL. And, like children, none of them is perfect, each has it's strength, and we love them all.

I choose my cruises by itinerary first, and price second. As for prices, we sailed on the Liberty in a balcony cabin for one half of what we paid to sail on the Fantasy in an ocean view on a per person/per night basis.

YMMV

Woody

Last edited by woody73; 02-26-2013 at 10:12 PM.
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #29
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Love other perspectives. I happen to like the shows on the Freedom better than what they had on the Wonder but DW sailed the Dream in January and thought those shows were better than on the Wonder too. Royal uses live orchestra for their shows and to me, that sets them apart in a good way. Both have some of the best talent you can find for a cruise ship and neither require thir cast to perform crew duties.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #30
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I do think that RCCL takes better care of their repeat customers! I've enough backpacks!

Bobbi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: