Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
First, let me say...the CM was wrong for what they did. Period.

But I think Pete is letting the girls in the case off way too lightly.

They are 14 years old - which means they really should know better. They weren't 4 year olds. By excusing them because they are 14, it would be open season on characters in the parks by teens, especially without handlers around.

I've seen the video, and I believe this was a total setup. It was not long ago with the Tigger incident - where a teen boy was getting his picture taken with Tigger, and began yanking on his tail, which resulted in Tigger turning around and thwaping the kid - not hard, but it was blown up by the people involved, the media, etc.

So pulling on a character's tail can elicit a response. I think the father was video taping the whole thing to see what response they could get - and of course got far more than they should have.

Both girls did this from behind - the rabbit was engaged with others at the time.

The second girl went up and used both hands - she wasn't just squeezing the tail, which was closer to what the first girl did - and gave several yanks. Or, and the angle doesn't show - she could have been doing something more vulgar.

So I think Disney's statement was spot on - they were in fact doing this specifically to elicit a response. But they also need to address the CM's actions, and they need to address the overall problem by leaving these CMs out to fend for themselves like that.
THIS!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Mickeyflower
I find that The Dis is my happy place many times

I haven't listened to the Podcast yet so I can't comment on that. I have seen the video and I am (sadly) not surprised in the least to hear the father encourage his daughter to yank on White Rabbit's tail. No, he should not have "broke character" and spoke, but good lord, did you see how hard she yanked? She is DEFINITELY old enough to know what she did is wrong. My 3 year old niece knows it's wrong to yank on anyone like that. I completely understand the urge to want to throttle a bratty teen (teenagers are natural birth control for me ), but are supposed to be the adults.

I worked at DL while I was in college in the late 90's and the only time I saw handlers were during high capacity days for the popular characters only. I do see handlers for characters at other parks though. I hope Disney is seeing a pattern emerge and starts assigning handlers, or for characters to go out in pairs.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Hmm, so this video is no longer up? I am definitely curious to see this now. I can't stand annoying teenagers...or worse BAD parents! I can't truly comment since I haven't seen what the rabbit did, but I don't think I can totally blame him based on what people have described of the Dad egging his teenage daughter to pull his tail. Interesting... But I also have never seen a character without a handler?

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Hmm, so this video is no longer up? I am definitely curious to see this now. I can't stand annoying teenagers...or worse BAD parents! I can't truly comment since I haven't seen what the rabbit did, but I don't think I can totally blame him based on what people have described of the Dad egging his teenage daughter to pull his tail. Interesting... But I also have never seen a character without a handler?
http://www.travelerstoday.com/articl...girl-video.htm

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Where were the Handlers?

Wow is all I can say. Sure the CM should not have cornered the girl like he did but really the family knew they did something wrong. They did not go up to security and tell them about the incident. They waited till they got home and posted the video on youtube and then they filed a lawsuit.

Disney should ban the two girls and their father for life and the CM may need to get retrained in another area of the park. Certainly not as a character thats for sure. Both girls knew they were doing something wrong.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I watched the podcast and finally watched the video. From the talk on the podcast, I thought there was more video. All I saw were the two girls pulling on the rabbit's tail - did they taunt the rabbit more as well?

So, if the father was so concerned, why did he keep filming and not put down the camera (camera phone) down??

The first girl pulled the tail sort of quickly and with a small tug but the second girl seemed to yank so hard that the rabbit was pulled back. So how come those two girls aren't the ones being accused of assault? Frankly, the rabbit was defending his personal space. So what if he's in a uniform? Does that mean he can't defend himself? Should he allow any guest to poke or pull on what he is wearing?

The unfortunate part of the situation is that there is no handler to 'talk' to the girls. I find it appropriate for the rabbit to tell the girl what she did was not right. Just because this is a Disney 'face' character does not give other people the right to harass him. If it were my child (and hese are teenagers - not 3 year olds!), I would HOPE that others would tell her when she was acting inappropriately lest she think it is ok to do. But you better bet that I wouldn't allow it, tolerate it, or FILM IT and laugh. I'd march their princess bottoms right back to apologize.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

Those girls and their father knew exactly what they were doing. I fault them.

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

Well, I know that the Rabbit should not have spoken, however, those girls and their father were very clearly out of line. My children (16 and 12) have always known better than to behave like that, but if they had done something like that, the White Rabbit would have been the least of their worries. They would have been banished from the park...by ME! Here we are again with our litigious society where people are in the wrong and have no strength of character to admit it, they just want to blame others.

The character should have had a handler to help him ward off garbage behavior like this.
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 7/23/07 - 8/2/07

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
two-foxes

Love a man in a suit!!!

Listening to the podcast, I pictured two innocent teenage girls just being silly. Then I saw the video and saw two snotty brats being obnoxious. I would say they had it coming....it was just very un-Disney-like of the CM, deserved or not.

Also, Pluto talked to me at Goofy's Kitchen about a year ago. I had my picture taken with him at our dinner table and grabbed my margarita to "cheers" to the camera...he "whispered" to me that although he loves margaritas, he's really not supposed to be pictured with one, although he'd love to join me. Honestly, it was just weird...really, I expected him to bark and lick my face...not sound like a man!
two-foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Those girls and their father knew exactly what they were doing. I fault them.
Ditto. Now that I have seen the video I blame them (not that the Rabbit handled the situation well, obviously). But the Dad was laughing the whole time. And these were not little girls. They look like they are between 15-17, they knew what they were doing.

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disneyland, white rabbit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: