Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Two years ago, during "dress-up night" on the Dream, I lost a treasured bracelet. It just fell off at some point between picture taking and going into the restaurant.

The bracelet wasn't the most expensive one you will ever see (though I believe it to be beautiful), for it was merely a gold garnet tennis bracelet with a diamond swirl clasp, but it was a rare gift from my DH years before (the man that never buys gifts, so it was a surprise!), and I cherished that bracelet.

I noticed during dinner that the bracelet was gone, and ran over to guest services, shaking and fighting tears, for I was so upset. The person there took down my information, asked me to wait a moment, and stepped in back. Moments later, he came out with my bracelet! Someone had turned it in, and I was ever so grateful that I burst into tears then and there.

The person that turned in my bracelet did not leave any information to contact them so I could offer my thanks, but I truly was so very thankful. That bracelet means so much to me, and to all those that turn in what they find in the hopes that the original owner will claim it, I thank you. You just never know how important that lost item could be to someone!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

I always turn in everything we find. One day we were walking past Pirates (in the parks obviously) and there was a lot of money laying on the ground. It was around $200 I think. So I picked it up and caught a CM who wanted nothing to do with it and told me to go to GS. We went to GS and they also wanted nothing to do with it.

I left my name and they said they'd contact me if anyone came asking but no one ever contacted me. I still feel bad about it to this day. People work hard to make a trip to Disney and then to loose that much money just makes me sick.

Jen
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
bunny
DIS Veteran

I actually agree with the OP's sister. Once I found a diamond tennis bracelet in the parking lot of a 4 star hotel I was staying at. I turned it in at the front desk. A few days later when I was checking out, I noticed that the front desk clerk (the same one I turned it into) was wearing it. I pretended not to notice and asked her if anyone had claimed it. She lied and said someone had while the whole time she was wearing it. It was bizarre, but I learned a lesson. I would tell Guest Services that I had it and then if someone was looking for it, I would ask them to describe it to me. As much as I love Disney, I realize these CMs are actually paid very little and a diamond bracelet is a lot of temptation.
bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
I actually agree with the OP's sister. Once I found a diamond tennis bracelet in the parking lot of a 4 star hotel I was staying at. I turned it in at the front desk. A few days later when I was checking out, I noticed that the front desk clerk (the same one I turned it into) was wearing it. I pretended not to notice and asked her if anyone had claimed it. She lied and said someone had while the whole time she was wearing it. It was bizarre, but I learned a lesson. I would tell Guest Services that I had it and then if someone was looking for it, I would ask them to describe it to me. As much as I love Disney, I realize these CMs are actually paid very little and a diamond bracelet is a lot of temptation.
On the ship, though, there are security cameras everywhere. I'd imagine there's a few recording the transactions at Guest Services...
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Sur
Love the Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I know that person was very thankful that you found it and did allert GS.

On our second cruise DS6 was helping me put things away the first afternoon and found a bronze ship with a pencil sharpener in the hull. He told me that the kid who was in the room the cruise before us was very upset that they lost their ship and we had to get it to them. I put it in my bag and told him that we would turn it in at GS later. The second night he reminded me about it so we stopped by GS and I gave it to him to turn in. The CM didn't quite understand what he was trying to say at first. It's not often that a 6 yo is insistent about getting something to someone else that they lost. I gave our room number and they told him that they would be contacting the family and send the ship to them the next week after we got back to FL. That night DS had a card from the officer in charge of GS thanking him and a $10 arcade card. I was very proud of DS. It was nice to see that we had done something right -- and he continues to be a good person.
I got the chills when I read this... so nice.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
Sur
Love the Dis

Quote:
Well, it'd be kind of dumb to wear it to work if it weren't hers, being it was lost in the parking lot where she worked. If it weren't hers, the owner could see it on her, prove it's theirs, and have her fired. Just a though.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
bengals01
DIS Veteran

I found a $100 bill in a plastic bag flying around on deck 10 on the Magic. I called guest service and told them I found some money. They called a few hours later and said a guest asked if they had found some money. It was described as a $100 bill folded and in a plascic bag. I returned it to guest services. Didn't even get a thank you from the guest who lost it. If someone would have returned my money I would have at least sent a thank you note.
bengals01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals01 View Post
I found a $100 bill in a plastic bag flying around on deck 10 on the Magic. I called guest service and told them I found some money. They called a few hours later and said a guest asked if they had found some money. It was described as a $100 bill folded and in a plascic bag. I returned it to guest services. Didn't even get a thank you from the guest who lost it. If someone would have returned my money I would have at least sent a thank you note.

Several years ago we were driving down the interstate and saw a suit case in the middle of the highway. We stopped and picked it up and figured it had blown off of someone's car roof. We could not find a name tag so opened it. There were nice clothes for a man and woman and $400 in $1 bills. The one dollar bills were in stacks of ten rapped with a rubber band and 10 of the small bundles were bound, there were 4 of these. My son, who was about 7, looked at the big wad of money and proclaimed, "We're rich!" I told him this was not our money. We needed to find the owners. I told my wife that with all the dollar bills this must belong to a stripper. She gave me a dirty look.

We found a name and address inside but no phone number. I called information but phone could not be found. My wife sent a letter to the address telling them we found their suitcase and a week later they came to our house to claim it.

The suitcase belonged to newlyweds on their honeymoon. The brides mother was a waitress and had saved tips for their wedding gift. They laughed and said whoever found it would probably think it belonged to a stripper. "Oh no, we didn't think that!" :-). They were so grateful. They bought us 2 bottles of brandy as a reward.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
Arkum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio

Several years ago we were driving down the interstate and saw a suit case in the middle of the highway. We stopped and picked it up and figured it had blown off of someone's car roof. We could not find a name tag so opened it. There were nice clothes for a man and woman and $400 in $1 bills. The one dollar bills were in stacks of ten rapped with a rubber band and 10 of the small bundles were bound, there were 4 of these. My son, who was about 7, looked at the big wad of money and proclaimed, "We're rich!" I told him this was not our money. We needed to find the owners. I told my wife that with all the dollar bills this must belong to a stripper. She gave me a dirty look.

We found a name and address inside but no phone number. I called information but phone could not be found. My wife sent a letter to the address telling them we found their suitcase and a week later they came to our house to claim it.

The suitcase belonged to newlyweds on their honeymoon. The brides mother was a waitress and had saved tips for their wedding gift. They laughed and said whoever found it would probably think it belonged to a stripper. "Oh no, we didn't think that!" :-). They were so grateful. They bought us 2 bottles of brandy as a reward.
This made me smile! What a great story!
Arkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

It is nice to read these posts. Honest people are still out there.

Character is what you do when no one is looking and expecting no reward(my addition). Is what we teach our kids.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

This reminded me I found a drivers license once at the beach parking lot. I mailed it to the address listed but didn't give a return address.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

We found the plastic pouch from a lanyard once inside Goofy's Candy Co. There was the room key/ticket, credit card, along with cash folded up inside. I didn't even look to see how much cash was inside, I immediately took it to a CM and hoped that they would return to the proper owner since the room key was inside.

Too bad not everyone is honest :-(

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Disneyland Aug/03
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt Western w/my honey
Disneyland Paris Sept/13 w/my honey; Mar/14

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for sharing these wonderful stories! Good to know there are still good, honest people in this world!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

I love these stories.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Quote:
Well let's see--Disney takes theft extremely seriously. Any cast member caught stealing would be instantly terminated. So knowing that, a guest services CM would, on the fly, have to make sure that nobody overheard the report that it had been found, fill out a form and then somehow destroy it without anyone noticing, either slip the bracelet into his/her pocket (again without anyone noticing) or place it in the area of lost items to retrieve later and hope nobody else saw it before he/she could come back and get it. Then he/she would have to get it to his/her shared, cramped quarters and hope that none of his/her coworkers saw it, and then somehow get it home. All while hoping there weren't any security cameras trained on him/her at some point in that process. That seems like a pretty big risk and a whole lot of effort to steal something.

It's very easy to lose a piece of jewelry and not notice it until well after the loss. I know I've lots a number of things and couldn't tell you exactly when or where the loss occurred. If the rightful owner didn't realize it was lost on the boat, chances are high he or she would figure it out once they got home and would contact DCL to try to find it. Of course, if the guest who found it decided to take it home at the end of the cruise because of some self-appointed statute of limitations on lost property (being the end of the cruise), the owner would then have absolutely zero chance of recovering their property.

So maybe the CM pockets it or the finder decides to take it home after nobody claims it. Either way, both are taking home something that doesn't belong to them, and neither are doing everything they can to make sure the item is returned to its rightful owner. I don't see how the latter is "better."

Or the CM is honest, follows Disney policy, and the owner has a decent chance of getting their property back.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer

Last edited by MyYearWithTheMouse; 03-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: