Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Found white gold diamond bracelet on Dream

Heading to dinner one night near the elevator I looked down and saw a bracelet. It was beautiful. My sister and mother took one look and said it was "real". I said I'd take it to guest services but my sister said I should just tell them I found a bracelet and if someone claimed it and could identify it, I'd turn it in. It went against my nature but that's what I did. She said if no one claimed it, it would be better to keep it than to give it to Disney. I'd guess the bracelet was worth between $800 and $2,000 depending on the diamonds.

GS looked at me like I was a crook or something but took my name and room number. The next day a security officer called me and said the owner was found and was very upset about it. I asked if she could identify it and he said, "white gold diamond bracelet". I said that was it and he came and got it. He also had a picture if it on his iPhone that I guess he got fom the guest.

He thanked me and said I was a gentlemen....but I didn't feel good about tying to keep it per my sisters suggestion.

Moral of the story, follow your heart not your sister's advice.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Moral of the story, follow your heart not your sister's advice.
I agree.

I found something during our trip, and I had one person stay there with it, while another adult got a CM. I didn't want to touch it, for fear of someone thinking I was trying to take it. I could never have done what your sister said to do.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I know that person was very thankful that you found it and did allert GS.

On our second cruise DS6 was helping me put things away the first afternoon and found a bronze ship with a pencil sharpener in the hull. He told me that the kid who was in the room the cruise before us was very upset that they lost their ship and we had to get it to them. I put it in my bag and told him that we would turn it in at GS later. The second night he reminded me about it so we stopped by GS and I gave it to him to turn in. The CM didn't quite understand what he was trying to say at first. It's not often that a 6 yo is insistent about getting something to someone else that they lost. I gave our room number and they told him that they would be contacting the family and send the ship to them the next week after we got back to FL. That night DS had a card from the officer in charge of GS thanking him and a $10 arcade card. I was very proud of DS. It was nice to see that we had done something right -- and he continues to be a good person.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Pwac
Mouseketeer

I lost the diamond bracelet DH gave me when DS was born. It came off at Animal Kingdom the day before we left on our Fantasy cruise. I really struggled not to let it impact our cruise but I knew it was gone. I wish the person who found it had been as honest as you.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Fielhol
Mouseketeer

I am sorry you lost your bracelet pp. How heartbreaking for you

This has nothing to do with Disney, but I was Christmas shopping with my now ex SIL and my mom. It was a toy warehouse and I found $300 cash in the books. I grabbed it and my SIL told me to keep it. That if they were careless enough to lose it then that's there fault. I'm not that type of person. I took it to the front cash and there was a woman already up there crying as she had lost the only cash she had for her Christmas gifts. I felt SO great to be able to give her her money back
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Wenawen
Earning My Ears

I know you were trying to be honest but it's best that you turn it in right away. I used to work in the hotels and I turned everything in. If no one claimed it after 90 days-you got to keep it. My then boyfriend did that when he found a pair of sapphire & diamonds earrings in an supposedly empty safety deposit box. 90 days later-he got the call that no one had claimed them. He gave them to me. I am still glad I married him!
Wenawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

I guess I'm just shocked that anyone would even consider keeping it. What if the person hadn't notice they'd lost it until they got home?

Kudos to lbgraves' DS. I'm sure the owner of the ship was very happy.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse View Post
I guess I'm just shocked that anyone would even consider keeping it. What if the person hadn't notice they'd lost it until they got home?

Kudos to lbgraves' DS. I'm sure the owner of the ship was very happy.
Well, he never said he was going to walk off the ship with it on the last morning if no one claimed it. To be fair.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
princesssfws
Mouseketeer

I'm glad this had a happy ending.

If you find something anywhere please turn it in ASAP. My dd's wallet and iphone were stolen at WDW and then dumped in someone's stroller. We had the find my iphone app and were following the person all night but it was during MNSSHP so huge crowds watching the parade/fireworks and it doesn't pinpoint exact location.

We spent all night tracking the phone and then my dh stayed late at guest services to see if it would be turned it. The people did eventually turn it in at 1 am, which we are extremely thankful for but if they had given it to any CM when they first discovered it, it would of saved us all night of tracking.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Somewhere inside Spaceship earth sits my favorite diamond hoop earring. My then infant son- pulled at my ear and off it fell- into Spaceship Earth! I was so upset but then thought - I can't do anything about it now.

I think it was quite kind of you to turn it over. And know that you made someone's trip.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Over the weekend I found an iPhone, and turned it in right away. It was the right thing to do.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

ROGILLIO
A big batch of KUDDOS goes out to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
texfinn
DIS Veteran

On the fantasy last year I lost one if my favorite large gold hoops. I was heartbroken. I went to guest services, made a report and just set my self up for disappointment but, within a few hours, I got a call that someone found it and turned it in. Thank goodness for honest people. Whoever found it, really helped keep my cruise a happy memory!

If you find something, please report it. It could mean something really special to someone else, worth way more than the value of the item.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Wish there were more threads about what someone did right on DCL versus what everyone's doing wrong, lol
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post

Wish there were more threads about what someone did right on DCL versus what everyone's doing wrong
Hmmmm . . . such as: formal night attire, saving seats in the Walt Disney Theatre, withholding tips, "reserving" pool loungers all day with a towel.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: