Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #31
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas
People like you are the reason we probably won't cruise DCL anymore. Sailed twice, sick twice.
While I agree that lying on the health form is not a good idea, two cruises is not a pattern, only a statistical anomaly. We have sailed on DCL three times and have yet to get sick.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #32
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

ITA that they are quite good to you when you are quarantined. While if you do have a stomach virus, you aren't really that interested in eating, DS has been confined to the room twice for 24 hours. The first time was strep throat and the second time was pink eye. The first time someone came to the stateroom with a DVD player within minutes of us returning from the medical center. They gave us a list of movies he could request. The second time we got a list of movies that could be received in the room by contacting the number provided I recall. We also received that night's menu so we could order from the MDR. They checked to see if there was anything else he would like a few times during the day.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #33
dznystar
DIS Veteran

Please please please be honest about your health when boarding the ship! someone in my extended family was less than truthful about an upset stomach...they coached their daughter...turns out it was a bug and an awful one at that! Over the coarse of a 3 night cruise, it was passed to my 1 year old son and then myself and we weren't even in the same room with them. I missed Palos, an entire day at sea, couldn't begin to tell you if i got everything out of my room....and i don't believe my parents when they say we stayed at Saratoga springs the following days don't remember it at all...i was THAT sick! So please be courteous to fellow passengers. I will be adding trip insurance for sure on our upcoming cruise.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #34
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

Yes please don't lie. Someone brought illness onto our Mexican wonder cruise last march and I got it. It was terrible. 3 days of chills, fever, bad cold,left me in bed in the cabin. Then of course my daughter got ill before we left feb 9, and not only for her own good, but I wouldn't bring it on board! We are rebooked for April 27th. Hoping for a healthy vaca!

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #35
Docmom
Mouseketeer

Few thoughts on this post.

First as a Pediatrician I cringe when I hear about Drs giving patients antibiotics "just in case". There is no one antibiotic that would cover every possible bacterial illness and if you take for a viral illness it's useless. So unless you have recurrent issues or are going on a very long cruise (TA or B2B) then not a good idea (and for the long ones only because of cost if you are prone to illnesses like ear infections, etc,). As for prescription anti-diarrhea meds - remember they have side effects and Lomotil has atropine which can affect your heart. Again, unless you have specific issues not a good idea. I also cringe about even the thought of people lying about being sick to get onboard. A minor sniffle is no big deal but a major issue like gastroenteritis or a bad cold with fever can spread like wildfire in a setting like a cruise ship. Please don't do that to other passengers. That being said, I certainly agree with bringing OTC meds for minor issues or food induced diarrhea. If you aren't used to eating a lot, the constant food available on a cruise can certainly wreck havoc with your tummy. Not a contagious issue but of course if you go to the ship Dr they have to quarantine you just in case. Most food borne issues will resolve quickly.

Second as a patient it really concerns me that there are some who would disregard public health just so they can not miss out on cruise activities. I'm finishing chemo for colorectal cancer in March (we're going on our first DCL cruise in late April to celebrate) and had radiation for it a few years ago. Meaning diarrhea is somewhat "normal" for me BUT if I pick up a stomach virus that would just make life miserable for most people, it could easily put me in the hospital. I'm very cautious about hand hygiene but nothing is 100% safe. Like me I'm sure there are others cruising with health issues or the babies on the ship that a "simple" virus can really be a serious issue. We're all paying a lot of money for our cruise vacation and no one wants it ruined by illness, but please think of others too.

So for the OP, I hope your mom is feeling better and thank her for following the rules. And for the poster who suggested kids lie about being sick...encouraging kids to lie is never a good idea. The ends don't justify the means. Perhaps your intent was just to advise people to bring meds in case of minor issues such as food intolerance; but disregarding the public health rules is never a good idea.
Docmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #36
SigalTchelet
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Yes please don't lie. Someone brought illness onto our Mexican wonder cruise last march and I got it. It was terrible. 3 days of chills, fever, bad cold,left me in bed in the cabin. Then of course my daughter got ill before we left feb 9, and not only for her own good, but I wouldn't bring it on board! We are rebooked for April 27th. Hoping for a healthy vaca!
I am so glad to hear you were able to rebook! How is she feeling these days, now that you guys are home?

Siggy aka Jill
Siggy's Fantastic Fantasy PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081866
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort 1994
Disneyland: Many times in my childhood, October 1976, March 1977, June 16, 1977 (Grad Night), severasl times in the 80's, August 1991, October 3, 2009 (50th Birthday), May 2010, October 2010, February 2011, May 2011, October 2011

SigalTchelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #37
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

I have a related question and some of you who have been there might know the answer -

Is it DCL policy to automatically quarantine somebody who is throwing up? I ask because my DS7 has a condition that makes him throw up fairly frequently (well it's frequent to me - probably at least once every week and sometimes more often). It is not an illness (it has to do with some gastrointestinal reflex) and he is otherwise a normal healthy kid. But, if they ask if anyone has vomited when we get on the boat the answer might very well be, "yes" (and I won't coach him to lie).

Should I bring some sort of note from my Ped. explaining what's going on? Will they accept that as proof that he's not communicable?

April
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #38
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilchem
I have a related question and some of you who have been there might know the answer -

Is it DCL policy to automatically quarantine somebody who is throwing up? I ask because my DS7 has a condition that makes him throw up fairly frequently (well it's frequent to me - probably at least once every week and sometimes more often). It is not an illness (it has to do with some gastrointestinal reflex) and he is otherwise a normal healthy kid. But, if they ask if anyone has vomited when we get on the boat the answer might very well be, "yes" (and I won't coach him to lie).

Should I bring some sort of note from my Ped. explaining what's going on? Will they accept that as proof that he's not communicable?

April
So funny...I had the same question. Mine has abdominal migraines which causes throwing up. I also wondered about people who are just seasick?
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #39
JsIeBeLs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
So funny...I had the same question. Mine has abdominal migraines which causes throwing up. I also wondered about people who are just seasick?
Me too! My DS had a migraine that kept him out of school yesterday, vomiting and all. He usually has the migraine a couple of hours, throws up a few times, and feels better hours later. I have a feeling most health professionals would understand but want to quarantine "just in case"...as long as he doesn't get one right before we get on we should be good : )
JsIeBeLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #40
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

If there is a medical condition, I would definitely bring backup. DD got seasick one day on our 7th cruise. The pools were closed and we were dealing with 20+ foot swells. I think maybe it is starting to affect her as she gets older. She had no fever, and no other symptoms. When I went to the medical center to ask if they had anything to give kids for seasickness they didn't even bat an eye. So, if the conditions are a bit rough and many are getting seasick, they aren't going to quarantine them.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #41
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsIeBeLs View Post
Me too! My DS had a migraine that kept him out of school yesterday, vomiting and all. He usually has the migraine a couple of hours, throws up a few times, and feels better hours later. I have a feeling most health professionals would understand but want to quarantine "just in case"...as long as he doesn't get one right before we get on we should be good : )
I seem to recall somone with migraines posting that she was quarantined after she went to the ship's doctor seeking Zofran. It was only 24 hours and she was happy enough to sit in her room eating room service, watching movies and sitting on her veranda.
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #42
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

If you may need to check the yes on the medical form I would probably bring a note from the pediatrician explaining condition. It could just save a lot of questioning.

But as far as the quarantine question, from our experience, no they don't always quarantine you. Both my daughter and son caught something and began vomiting on day 3 of our cruise. It began mid-late afternoon and they both threw up overnight. By next morning it was over as fast as it started.

We obviously kept them in the room. But Disney knew they were sick because we had to call guest services in the middle of the night for new bedding when our 6 yr old didn't make it to the bathroom. We did get a follow up call the next day from guest services asking how everyone was feeling. Everyone was ok by then and that was all they said. So I think if you are taking care of keeping the sick ones to yourself, they won't do a mandatory quarantine.
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
LamieMom
Earning My Ears

My daughter was just confined to the stateroom for 24 hrs on the Fantasy last week. She picked up a GI thing and got sick at dinner (thank goodness we were traveling with friends who are very understanding). She slept through the night without issue but could not keep anything down the following morning. We visited the doctor and he gave her meds to stop the vomiting so she could keep down some fluids. She was already somewhat dehydrated. FYI- because it was a gastrointestinal virus, there was no charge for the doctor visit or the meds. Guest services told us to ask for anything we needed from room service, but no one was very intrusive. The medical office called the following morning to check on her and to advise that we could leave the ship (Castaway Cay day) at 10am.
LamieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #44
dznystar
DIS Veteran

Several years ago my son (3 at the time) got sick the first night in the dining room. Of course they came in full gear to clean it up which was quite a sight to see. They asked how he was and determined it was a combination of food and sea. He was never quarantined.

The cruise I posted about earlier, when the bug was passed around...we weren't quarantined then either. Of course we were way too sick to even leave the room and the CMs did know because we had to order some things from room service and have clean linens brought. It seems like those that are quarantined are ones that go to the medical center.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #45
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
What a bummer for them! If they bought insurance they may be able to get some amount of refund. We travel with OTC meds. I understand the ship's doctor's position it to avoid spreading illness, but if it was simply something she ate that didn't agree with her it's a shame to make someone waste a day of vacation on quarantine. I hope she's feeling better and gets to enjoy CC!
Good idea, I never thought of OTC meds for the "runs", need to jot that down.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: