Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
DobieLover
Earning My Ears

Several questions regarding Disney Magic Galveston 8 Day Bahamas cruise

My husband and I have cruised a couple of other lines a few times, our kids have never cruised... That said, we have booked an 8 day cruise to the Bahamas departing from Galveston on March 1st. Our ports of call are Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral, and Key West. If it applies to any questions, our boys will be 7 and 10, our girl will be 4.

1. Are there any lanyard type things we can buy in advance for the kids to hold onto their room keys?

2. I read about some type of phone/text device that should be in our cabin, I think we get 2 of them. Is there a charge for using them?

3. Also a lot of confusion regarding passports... are they required? My husband and I have them, as does our 10yo, but the 2 younger ones do not as of yet...

4. Do we have to wait until we're on the ship to register the kids for the youth clubs?

5. For those of you that have done Port Canaveral as a stop, rather than embarkation/debarkation, a one day park hopper and transportation to WDW is included in cruise fare, correct?

6. Any "don't miss" things we should know about?

I know I've got a dozen other questions, but that's all I can think of right at the moment. Thanks in advance for any information you're able to provide
DobieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobieLover View Post
My husband and I have cruised a couple of other lines a few times, our kids have never cruised... That said, we have booked an 8 day cruise to the Bahamas departing from Galveston on March 1st. Our ports of call are Castaway Cay, Port Canaveral, and Key West. If it applies to any questions, our boys will be 7 and 10, our girl will be 4.

1. Are there any lanyard type things we can buy in advance for the kids to hold onto their room keys? You can look at WalMart, I've seen them there. They also have them for purchase onboard ($8.00)

2. I read about some type of phone/text device that should be in our cabin, I think we get 2 of them. Is there a charge for using them? There are 2 Wave Phones in the room, no charge. You can get additional phones (for a fee, as long as they last) at Guest Services.

3. Also a lot of confusion regarding passports... are they required? My husband and I have them, as does our 10yo, but the 2 younger ones do not as of yet... For US citizens, on a closed-loop cruise (beginning and ending the the same US port) the minimum ID necessary is a CERTIFIED birth certificate and (for those 16 and older) a government issued photo ID.

4. Do we have to wait until we're on the ship to register the kids for the youth clubs? You can pre-register online. But you need to check in for the clubs either in the terminal or onboard. It's my understanding that it's quicker onboard.

5. For those of you that have done Port Canaveral as a stop, rather than embarkation/debarkation, a one day park hopper and transportation to WDW is included in cruise fare, correct? Yes. You will select a bus time to go to WDW, but coming back you just go to the bus pickup area when you want.

6. Any "don't miss" things we should know about?

I know I've got a dozen other questions, but that's all I can think of right at the moment. Thanks in advance for any information you're able to provide
My answers in red.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
DobieLover
Earning My Ears

thanks so much as far as selecting a bus time, can that be done online pre-cruise? also, since march 1 is too early for spring break, no school holidays really, is that a fairly uncrowded time to go?
DobieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks so much as far as selecting a bus time, can that be done online pre-cruise? also, since march 1 is too early for spring break, no school holidays really, is that a fairly uncrowded time to go?
Sorry, I don't know the specifics of picking the bus time, as we haven't done this itinerary.

Spring break next year (in some states) starts as early as March 2, so I'm not sure that it will be uncrowded. Less than later in the month, but still somewhat busy is my guess.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Do kids have to keep their room card on them? What would they need it for if they won't be without us except in the kids play area?
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
mmsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30 View Post
Do kids have to keep their room card on them? What would they need it for if they won't be without us except in the kids play area?
I usually keep my kids cards with me so they don't lose theirs. Mine are 10 & 8, and they don't have charging privileges.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Ichiban
Mouseketeer

Quote:
as far as selecting a bus time, can that be done online pre-cruise?
You will be able to select the bus times to WDW based on your castaway club status. If this is your first cruise with DCL, you will be able to book online 75 days out (the same time you can book other excursions, Palo, etc).
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

We will be on the same cruise as you and my kids will be on Spring Break the entire time. Some places have it early. We are expecting some crowds at Disney World. You can't pass up a free park hopper ticket though.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

There are also several buses to WDW for each time slot. They leave as the buses fill up. So don't stress that you won't be able to get your desired time slot. On our 6/2 cruise only 7 people didn't go to WDW that port day! They did a beautiful job of getting us out smoothly. The customs process was very quick so you don't need to get off the boat extra early to compensate for that.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
wongski
Earning My Ears

8 day bahamian cruise - march 1

we are also leaving on the 8 day bahamian cruise starting March 1st. With a toddler and a baby we are looking to see what options are available to us with regards to rest facilities while we are at disneyworld. Going back to the cruise ship is not an ideal option, any suggestions?
wongski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongski View Post
we are also leaving on the 8 day bahamian cruise starting March 1st. With a toddler and a baby we are looking to see what options are available to us with regards to rest facilities while we are at disneyworld. Going back to the cruise ship is not an ideal option, any suggestions?
Our boys were 16 & 15 when we did the 8-night Bahamian with WDW day in January. Us old folks required a nap since we took the 6:30 bus over. LOL! We booked a single night at Pop Century with a discount while on the bus headed to the parks for the bargain price of $80. Best $80 we could've spent. Hubby even took a shower to refresh. LOL! We all slept solid for 2 hours. Still didn't end up staying at the parks past 7:00 pm. We've been so much it doesn't take much for us to hit the "over it" spot and be ready to be back in the shipboard bubble. Still was great to have that nap and be able to feel alive into the evening back on the ship.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongski View Post
Will they nap in a stroller? Find a quiet, shady place to stop for a bit, or maybe even in a show where it's darker. My DD always napped better if the stroller kept moving even at a slow pace, so take time to walk a bit (there's a nice quiet pathway from the old Toon Town to Tomorrowland). Maybe toss a towel or blanket to create more privacy and block sun. There are Baby Care centers at each WDW park, not necessarily a place for a full nap - however they are good for a place to feed a young one (microwaves and sink), rocking chair to nurse a baby, changing diapers (changing tables in all restrooms throughout the parks as well) and a place to buy baby-care necessities if you forgot something.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
wongski
Earning My Ears

thanks for the tips I'm definitely considering renting a hotel room in the late afternoon for the kids to take a nap and refresh so that we can enjoy the evening parade and fireworks.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
If you haven't already done so, you need to book your transportation to the parks NOW. Times fill up quick, I called DCL to get my time. You will need to let them know what partk you want transportation too. We did Animal Kingdom and then took the tram over the MK. Just off the same cruise Saturday, if you have nay questions let me know. Also see my Pre-Trip report Magic our way to WDW.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
wongski
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Our boys were 16 & 15 when we did the 8-night Bahamian with WDW day in January. Us old folks required a nap since we took the 6:30 bus over. LOL! We booked a single night at Pop Century with a discount while on the bus headed to the parks for the bargain price of $80. Best $80 we could've spent. Hubby even took a shower to refresh. LOL! We all slept solid for 2 hours. Still didn't end up staying at the parks past 7:00 pm. We've been so much it doesn't take much for us to hit the "over it" spot and be ready to be back in the shipboard bubble. Still was great to have that nap and be able to feel alive into the evening back on the ship.
Just want to clarify if you we're able to book a room right on the bus on the way to disney world? Did disney bring it up as a option while you we're on the bus? Right now the cost for pop century is about $90.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: