Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

AK Safari Ride While Pregnant - Yay or Nay?

Hi all!

I will be 29 weeks pregnant when we go to Disney this May. I'm really looking forward to the Safari ride in the Animal Kingdom. We have a 2.5 year old who adores African animals, and I can't wait to see her face when she rides this ride!

... but I've heard that it's "not recommended" for expectant mothers. I've seen a few people say that they rode while pregnant and some said it was awful, but others thought it was fine. I'm okay with missing some of my favourite rides at WDW because of the pregnancy, but I was really hoping to do this one!

Any input? Any tips if I do decide to ride? We're going on our first day, probably first thing in the morning (if that matters)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

It was a no for me but I was pregnant with twins. We go to WDW pretty frequently and I have had some very bumpy safari rides. If you choose to ride I believe the closer to the front might be a little less bumpy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
kam1011
Mouseketeer

Yeah, you're not supposed to ride while pregnant. The CM actually stopped me at the gate while sending my then 3yo off with grandparents. It is very bumpy, so I understand the warning.

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
glk2009
Mouseketeer

I went at 32 weeks and skipped it. Sent my DD5 with her dad. Not worth the risk IMHO.
glk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
hiddenj
Mouseketeer

Probably okay and I know a lot of other do it, but we chose not too. We just didn't want to take the risk.
hiddenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I would go on it pregnant. It has some bumps and a little rough at times. Kind of like driving a truck off road. When I am pregnant the only rides I avoid are roller coasters. The drop in gravity and upside down and the bar pushing on my stomach holding me in is a no. I guess it depends on the person. I am a thrill ride seeker and I have had seven kids so I know my limits. Everyone has different limits. Disney has to give the warning for their protection. There is also a warning for riding the merry go round. Which I was not allowed to ride at the fair cause the attendent wouldn't let me. I was like seriously.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

There is a warning not to ride while pregnant, but I went on it at 30 weeks. That being said, I have ridden it countless times in the past and don't consider it that bumpy. Heck, the road my in-laws live on is bumpier. I had also had an easy pregnancy, and I made sure to sit in the front row, which is not quite as bumpy.

This was the only ride I did that had a restriction. Really, it is just a truck ride with a few bumps. My DD was born at 42 weeks just fine.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! We also live in a rural area and frequently drive bumpy roads. I will of course be avoiding the roller coasters and anything risky. This seems like it's kind of right on the edge of being risky so it's a tricky decision to make!

I think I'll see how I'm doing that day and go by that. I've had an easy pregnancy so far (but 3 early term losses while trying to conceive this little one). My daughter's pregnancy was uneventful.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
Thanks everyone! We also live in a rural area and frequently drive bumpy roads. I will of course be avoiding the roller coasters and anything risky. This seems like it's kind of right on the edge of being risky so it's a tricky decision to make!

I think I'll see how I'm doing that day and go by that. I've had an easy pregnancy so far (but 3 early term losses while trying to conceive this little one). My daughter's pregnancy was uneventful.
I would have to take the bumpiest road everyday to and from work while pregnant and would say it was not nearly as bad as this ride and I had a normal pregnancy. Just see how you're feeling that day and then decide
DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

I was almost 6 months pregnant and was having a normal pregnancy.
I rode the safari and was fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

I followed the recommendations on every ride at Disney, except for this one. I was around 6 months pregnant at the time and drive a four wheel truck around gas fields, so I figured I wasn't going to get any bumps that I didn't normally have at work.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
shopgirl78
Mouseketeer

I went at 17 weeks and rode. No issues. I didn't see the disclaimer until it was too late.

7 years 5 years 3 years
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
AandImommy
Earning My Ears

I was 23 weeks last January and rode it without any problems. If you're having a normal pregnancy without any issues I would try it. But see how you feel that day and listen to your body.
AandImommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I would ride it while pregnant, but I also took NYC taxis on a regular basis while pregnant so the Safari is a smooth ride to me.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

I went on with both my pregnancies my Dr had just returned and she said it would be no problem she also said I could do mission space if I did the one that didn't spin.The safari ride is nowhere near as bad as bumpy new england roads.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: