Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
jennab
Mouseketeer

BCV, BWI, or BLT - so torn!

Ok this is a trip for Sept/Oct 2014 (yes major pre-planner here!). I am so torn between these 3 resorts and have been researching since we returned from our trip a few weeks ago (stayed at the FW cabins).

This time around it will be me, DH, DS (2.75yrs at the time of trip) and we will probably stay between 8-10 nights. We will hopefully buy points from David's at the 11 month mark so we can get what we want (fingers crossed!) We want to go during this time to get in on MNSSHP and F&W so will be visiting MK & Epcot multiple times and probably AK/HS once each.

Here is my dilemma. Not sure if we want a studio or 1 bedroom and where! When we stayed at the cabins we did fine all sharing a room to sleep, but there was a separate area to hang out in when DS fell asleep or was taking naps (we had 2 other adults during this trip too). I'm not really sure if DS will nap in his stroller (like he did last time), but I was planning more like 1/2 days at the park in the morning since we will be there a longer time. Also, I am worried he won't take a nap if we are in the room, but on the other hand he might be so tired he doesn't care. Any input from those of you with kids would be appreciated!

I have been thinking about a split stay, but think that may be a hassle as it would be nice to just unpack once. Here is what I have for the pros/cons so far. Please give me your advice and others to consider (also whether studio or 1bd)

BLT
pros: walk to MK, monorail resorts and to Epcot (restaurants), zero entry pool.
cons: small studio, switching monorails (could take more time to Epcot)

BCV
pros: distance to Epcot/HS, pool, able to walk to other Epcot resorts
cons: buses (not really sure about this one?)

BWI
pros: distance to Epcot/HS, boardwalk activities other Epcot resorts, daybed in studio (for child instead of pullout?)
cons: buses (again based on reading?), no zero entry pool, room could be very far from everything

Thanks in advance!
jennab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennab View Post
...BLT
pros: walk to MK, monorail resorts and to Epcot (restaurants), zero entry pool.
cons: small studio, switching monorails (could take more time to Epcot)

BCV
pros: distance to Epcot/HS, pool, able to walk to other Epcot resorts
cons: buses (not really sure about this one?)

BWI
pros: distance to Epcot/HS, boardwalk activities other Epcot resorts, daybed in studio (for child instead of pullout?)
cons: buses (again based on reading?), no zero entry pool, room could be very far from everything

Thanks in advance!
Not all the BWV studios have the "daybed". Only the dedicated studios have the small deacons bench that is referred to as a daybed. It is about crib sized. And you won't be able to put bed rails on it. Plus you cannot request them. You either get them or you don't.

So I wouldn't include that as a pro.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
jennab
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice! I will cross that off my pros list then! Any other opinions?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I agree with you that it would be nice to have a separate area to hang out in so that your son will go to sleep. We just got back from a trip with our grandchildren and the 3 year old would not settle down to sleep unless everyone else was quiet and the lights were off. She is just that kid of hyper child. But when our kids were little, all we had to do was to put on a cartoon and they would drop off to sleep, exhausted from the busy day. So I guess it depends on the child.

I love the villas with their separate living room and full kitchen. That would be heaven to have, but only if the price works for you. A studio that has a balcony could work too.

I don't know much about BLT but the walk to MK would be really nice. The monorail to Epcot wouldn't be too bad, since you just have the one stop on the way to Epcot. But the monorail back to BLT would be the fourth stop, a bit more annoying.

BCV: I love the BCV's. We've stayed in a 2 BR villa three times and it is a great location. It is a short walk to Epcot and the bus stop is closer to the villas than it is to the main resort. There is a sandy pool area with very shallow water that is nice for the little ones. This resort would be very convenient for going to the F&W event. We had recently stayed at the WL and thought that the long bus ride from the Magic Kingdom resort area to HS, AK and Epcot was much more annoying and time consuming then having to take a non stop bus to the MK and a much shorter bus ride to AK. I think the bus situation is not a problem at all, especially after our stay in a MK area resort.

BWV: This resort is a little more centrally located between Epcot and HS. It is a much shorter walk to HS from here. BC is really a bit too far to walk to HS, although we often would do it at closing time, when the boats were full and the wait was long.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
jennab
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your advice! I will have to see how my son is in a few months but right now he just talks to his few stuffed animals in his crib for 20-30min before falling asleep. I can guarantee if I was in his room he wouldn't go to sleep though! However, at Disney there is so much going on that it could be very different.

I keep going back and forth, thinking that if we did a studio we could get a dining plan (possibly deluxe) and not have to deal with food, but if we did a 1bd we could order some groceries for some breakfast and lunches (and snacks) but still go out when we want. Just not sure if I want to spend the extra money on a 1bd - budget allows just me being a penny pincher because that is how I am

BCV does sound really nice! In a perfect world we could do both, stay at BLT for our MK days (2 or 3) then go to BCV or BWI for the remainder of our trip. A split stay just makes me feel unsettled though and DH isn't too fond of switching resorts....

That's why I'm looking for other opinions for people who have been there and experienced more than I
jennab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Hi OP. I have twin boys, age 3, that we travelled to WDW with 6 times from 18 months to just shy of 3. For us, BLT has been the perfect choice. I cannot say how priceless the walk to MK is. So easy, so quick, it doesn't break down and you don't have to wait in line for it. The monorail to Epcot is fairly quick and easy as well. As for the size of the unit, if you can spare the expensive I would choose a bigger unit. But, we have stayed in 1 bedrooms and regular hotel rooms (including the values) with the boys and we always did fine so I think a studio is more than manageable. As for a split stay, we have done it on 3 of our stays and it's not the end of the world but I do prefer not to. Also, my boys have never napped well in the resort room. Always so wound up. We did much better to let them fall asleep in their stroller for a nap. Less stressful for all but we did often break at the hotel to swim, etc.

As far as resort choices, like I said BLT first IMO. I have no preference between BCV and BWV. I like them both fine but we won't stay at either again until our boys are out of strollers. The counter service options for us are too limited and we have had nothing but terrible bus service to the MK. For some reason our MK buses always shared with all of the boardwalk resorts. I know this isn't always the case but it has been our experience. We also drive a lot and parking at the boardwalk is so awful.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

If F&W is a primary draw, then I vote BC. Simply the closest resort to EPCOT. I also think that with small children you'll be better off there as it's a tad easier to navigate i.e. you don't have to go outside if you need anything.

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

that age - would go with closer to the MK.

the monorail - while I have not heard of any major problems lately - when was there in dec - it came to a stop.

this was not the monorail to Epcot - just the resort monorail.

still would go with BLT - love also own at BWV and still love BCV. but with a small child your first choice will probably be the MK.

now one night at least - would try to get a baby sitter so you can enjoy Epcot.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
jennab
Mouseketeer

Thanks all! Yeah I keep going back and forth. Some days really think BLT but then think BCV! The studio/1bd thing keeps getting me too. I will probably make DH decide that one when the time comes

However I have read reviews that the studios at BLT are very small. Would you say a lot smaller than the ones at BCV? We may just do a blow up mattress instead of pulling out the couch too (depending on how big DS is).

The plan is to try and do 1 or 2 date nights while there. Of course that means getting an in room sitter and I'm a little on the fence about it.& I'm sure everything would be fine but I wouldn't be a mom if I didn't worry at least a little
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
jennab
Mouseketeer

And if poly wasn't so darn expensive that would probably be the top of my list. Not sure why but its always been my fantasy to stay there! However renting points I could get a 1 bedroom for a standard room there. Oh why does that place have to be so expensive! I would probably breakdown and pay for it, but convincing DH is another story&.

So many great resorts its hard to choose!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Which park will you spend the most time at? If it's MK, then I would pick BLT. But if your Epcot days + your DHS days are more than the MK days, I'd pick BCV or BWV. BLT is not nearly as convenient to Epcot as the Epcot resorts (and I'm not sure I would add "Epcot dining" as a plus for BLT, but I would for the other 2). The sandy play area at the pool at the BC is great for toddlers, by the way... the water isn't deep and there's lots of sand to "build" with.

We took 2 trips when my DD was a toddler and found that a split between an EP resort and a MK resort was the best choice for us, but if your DH doesn't want to move, then I guess you'll have to pick one. For us, it was less hassle to repack and move one day then to deal with a tired toddler and buses for several days.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennab View Post
however I have read reviews that the studios at BLT are very small. Would you say a lot smaller than the ones at BCV? We may just do a blow up mattress instead of pulling out the couch too (depending on how big DS is).
they are not alot smaller - the problem is where the space is - you have almost as much room in the bathroom as the living area. that is a problem.

that say your family would probably be fine. being able to walk to the MK is a great plan.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
jennab
Mouseketeer

I would say it will almost be even for the amount of days at MK and Epcot. Maybe a split stay would be best - 2 or 3 nights BLT then 7 or 8 nights BCV/BWV. Doing that maybe we could do a studio for the first part and move up to a 1bd (save a few bucks).
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

I would like to offer another option If you decide you would like to have a 1 bedroom you could look into a lower point resort like the Old Key West or Sarasota Springs, you may have less amenities like monorail but you could save enough to have a one bedroom and still do the DDP. and you could look into renting a car I keep seeing people finding deals a low as $99 per week.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
jennab
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your opinion. We don't want to rent a car so will be using Disney transportation. I thought when I looked OKW was pretty close in price to the others. I think I would rather pay a little more for convenience of being a little closer to some of the parks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: