Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #46
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
The thing I hate about "Based on a true story" movies is the underlying thought that "this happened" when often the movies may have little or nothing to do with the truth.

In my book, the worst example of that was The Perfect Storm. I watched that movie and couldn't believe everything that happened to the boat's crew... only to find out later on that it was all made up. Ticked me off. Just say at the beginning, "We heard about this event and we're going to make up a completely fictional story that never happened but using that event as a jumping off point, okay?"
That one you kind of had to expect a lot of it to be made up. None of them survived so there's nobody to tell what happened.

Oh, the woman boat captain is/was (not sure if the show is still on) is on one of those Discovery Channel shows. Its like Deadliest Catch but with Sword fishermen.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #47
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The thing I hate about "Based on a true story" movies is the underlying thought that "this happened" when often the movies may have little or nothing to do with the truth.

In my book, the worst example of that was The Perfect Storm. I watched that movie and couldn't believe everything that happened to the boat's crew... only to find out later on that it was all made up. Ticked me off. Just say at the beginning, "We heard about this event and we're going to make up a completely fictional story that never happened but using that event as a jumping off point, okay?"
We were actually vacationing in Gloucester when the movie came out, so of course we had to go see it! The next day we went to the bar from the movie....nothing like it. There was a older woman at the bar who was cashing in on her 15 minutes of fame! She was very entertaining (and a little drunk!)....telling everyone stories and talking about the differences in the movie.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #48
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
There's a movie called Bully, not the recent documentary, but an indie movie from 2001. It's a pretty brutal story, and not for the faint of heart. When you're watching it you can't get over that it really happened.
I remember seeing that story covered on an episode of American Justice years ago, I didn't realize it had been made into a movie. Yes, VERY brutal story.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #49
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:

I never expect them to be totally factual. It is a movie, not a documentary (though one could argue many of those are also quite fictional based off of who is doing the doc).

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #50
MagicallyDelicious
Mouseketeer

I just watched this one a couple of weeks ago on PPV. I love historical movies, and I thought it was good.

While the relatives say great liberties were taken with the story, Lawless is/was based on real moonshiners.
MagicallyDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #51
phillmolly
DIS Veteran

I just read somewhere that the Rocks new movie, Snitch is based on true events. It also was a very good review. IIRC it was on the USA Today website.

Last edited by phillmolly; 03-01-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added info
phillmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #52
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

The movie Zulu.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #53
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran

You don't mess with the Zohan
Arsenal1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #54
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Alice's Restaurant
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #55
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

Boys Don't Cry was pretty factual, unfortunately.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #56
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

The movies "Psycho" , "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Silence of the Lambs" were all very loosely based on the same true story of a serial killer

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #57
goofy's friends
**POOF**
Is your light red? Cuz my light is green!
Tar-jay is the bomb!
I am a glutton for punishment, I guess

Catch me if you can with Leo DeCaprio. The man this was based on still lives in Tulsa, OK.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #58
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
One of my favorite movies - Fly Away Home.
Mine, too.

Brian's Song
Remember the Titans
Radio
Something the Lord Made
Titanic
Men of Honor
League of Their Own
Blind Side
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #59
ChrisFL