Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
jgh
Peter Pan!
 
jgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens, GA...461 miles from WDW!
Posts: 572

Help a first-time booker pick a verandah room! DREAM!

We're going to book the Disney Dream for an April 2014 cruise for our honeymoon. This will be my third Disney cruise, though it's been about 6 years since my most recent one and we stayed in a standard inside stateroom both times.

There are so many different options I'm confused! We're pretty sure we want a Duluxe Oceanview Stateroom w/ Verandah (Cat 5, 6 & 7), mid ship. Any deck is fine...

Our only must haves are:
*Starboard side (to see the beaches at Castaway Cay from the room)
*Plexiglass verandah so we can sit and see the water instead of standing

How can you tell if the verandah is plexiglass or solid white? Also...what EXACTLY are the Categories? Do they represent different rooms or are they simply there to organize the rooms (I did see there are a LOT of Deluxe Ocean View Staterooms w/ Verandahs!)?

Thank you SO much for your help! No matter the amount I read I just can't seem to answer my own questions! Figured it might be easier to ask.
__________________


jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 270

We stayed in 9628 which is cat 4a (I know not what you're looking for) and while it was considered aft, if was about half way (maybe a little closer to aft) between the mid elevator and aft staircase which made it extremely convenient. We ended up taking the stairs more than anything, which was great. It had a plexiglass railing. Even if you don't want 4a, this area would be good and it is on the starboard side of the ship, so maybe you could find one on a different deck that fit your category. I read the stateroom reviews on this board to find out about railings. If I can figure out how to do the link, I will add it.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran
 
Lisa Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
We're going to book the Disney Dream for an April 2014 cruise for our honeymoon. This will be my third Disney cruise, though it's been about 6 years since my most recent one and we stayed in a standard inside stateroom both times.

There are so many different options I'm confused! We're pretty sure we want a Duluxe Oceanview Stateroom w/ Verandah (Cat 5, 6 & 7), mid ship. Any deck is fine...

Our only must haves are:
*Starboard side (to see the beaches at Castaway Cay from the room)
*Plexiglass verandah so we can sit and see the water instead of standing

How can you tell if the verandah is plexiglass or solid white? Also...what EXACTLY are the Categories? Do they represent different rooms or are they simply there to organize the rooms (I did see there are a LOT of Deluxe Ocean View Staterooms w/ Verandahs!)?

Thank you SO much for your help! No matter the amount I read I just can't seem to answer my own questions! Figured it might be easier to ask.
We like category 5C on the Dream/Fantasy. Those are verandah rooms on deck 7. We prefer rooms on the starboard side near the aft. IMO, 7650 back to about 7662 are all great choices. We like deck 7 because you can take the stairs pretty much anywhere. The location near the aft stairs/elevators is very convenient to the MDRs as well as to Cabanas and the pool deck.

If you go through the motions of booking on DCL's site, you will get a list of the categories showing what deck(s) the rooms are located as well as what type of verandah (if it just says "Private Verandah," none of the rooms in that category have whitewalls). If you take it a step further and go through the motions of choosing a room, you can see the deckplan so you will be able to tell exactly where each room is located.
__________________
~Lisa




Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
socaintexas
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 59

We were in room 5546 (category 5E) last year on the Dream and it was fantastic. It was convenient to everything. Our deck was HUGE (oversized verandah) and really made the room feel a lot bigger!
socaintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,427

We were in 9574 last week, plexiglass verandah, pretty much midship, category 4A. Excellent views and great service. I booked the same stateroom for next year's cruise. We loved it.
__________________
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
PlutosMom319
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 13

This doesn't fit any of your must have criteria, but I absolutely positively recommend an aft balcony. We had 10162 on the Dream and it was AMAZING.

The balconies are enormous and have 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table and it is still plenty spacious. We were on a 4 night cruise so the only two ports we went to were Nassau and Castaway and the ship backs into those locations so we had a front row seat to everything. We also found this area of the ship to be very quiet - it's a short hallway that only has the aft balconies are off of so it's not a heavily walked through area. The only thing that we would think about doing differently is moving down to the 8th or 9th floor because we did have a little overhead noise from Cabanas right above (chair and table moving) but I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't really bother me. I think they are considered category 5E but I'm not positive. Good Luck!!
__________________


03/2012: Saratoga Springs ~~ 10/2011: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disney Dream (Inaugural Season) ~~03/2011: RCCL Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean ~~ 06/2010: RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska ~~ 09/2009: Old Key West ~~ 11/2000: Fort Wilderness Lodge ~~ 10/1996: Polynesian
PlutosMom319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Sea-Donkey
DIS Veteran
 
Sea-Donkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 535

Ours says "6A" on Deck 9, which per the stateroom categories on this site is:
Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah (Solid Verandah).

So is it worth calling to change to a plexiglass? What is the difference? Is one better for small children, view, or what?
__________________

Disney trips
1980 -Days Inn, 1982- Ft. Wilderness-cabin, 1983- Ft. Wilderness-cabin, 1984- Contemporary-tower, 1986- Ft. Wilderness-camper, 1988- Ft. Wilderness-camper, 1990- Polynesian/Caribbean Beach, 1992- Caribbean Beach, 1994- Dixie Landings, 1996- Offsite(school trip), 1996- Offsite(band in MK parade), 2001- Port Orleans Riverside, 2007- Port Orleans Riverside, 2008-Pop Century , 2010-Caribbean Beach Pirate Room, 2010-All Star Movies, 2011-Tokyo Disneyland, 2012-Coronado Springs & 1/2 Marathon, 2013-Pop Century & Bahamas Cruise on Dream

Last edited by Sea-Donkey; 02-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Sea-Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
"Cinder" Ella's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,348

We loved 6542. It was close to the forward (I think)elevators which were not at all busy. Some verandahs on 6 overlook lifeboats, but ours was a clear view. And yes, it is starboard.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
joech
Mouseketeer
 
joech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1964 View Post
We were in 9574 last week, plexiglass verandah, pretty much midship, category 4A. Excellent views and great service. I booked the same stateroom for next year's cruise. We loved it.
So glad I saw your post. I also booked the same room as well, the DCL vacation planner told us this is one of the best room in cat 4A. She said mid ship non connceting rooms are hard to come by. Do you have any pictures of the room that you can share?
__________________
Our next trip 2014 July? .
2nd DCL ?

1st DCL Oct 13-17
2013 Oct 12 -26 AKV Kidani (1st DCL Oct 13-17)
2012 Dec 22- Jan 3 AKV Kidani
2011 July 13-27 AKV Kidani
2010 Dec 25-30 Disneyland
2009 July 12-24 AKV Kidani
2008 Dec 25-Jan 4 AKV (1st trip home)Christmas 2008 AKV First Trip Home Report with Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2036527
2008 May 23-26 DVC Getaway Days Travel Expo
2007 Dec 15-29 AKL
2007 March 29-Apr 4 AKL/Contemporary
joech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Husurdady
Dad-2-4 Dh-2-1 of 45yrs.
 
Husurdady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: INDIANA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,705

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaintexas View Post
We were in room 5546 (category 5E) last year on the Dream and it was fantastic. It was convenient to everything. Our deck was HUGE (oversized verandah) and really made the room feel a lot bigger!
Room 5546 is now in the 4e category.....with those longer varandahs , DCL upgraded it to a 4E cat.........Had that room booked two differant times once on the Dream in 2011 and once on the Fantasy in 2012. For some "un-lucky" reason , had to cancel both times. Look like a good location to every thing. I use to kid my Dw that we where so close to the up stairs balcony of the movies that I was going to put my PJ's on and sneek down to the movies each nite late.
__________________
Don & Kathy
Husurdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
tdunaway
Mouseketeer
 
tdunaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosMom319 View Post
This doesn't fit any of your must have criteria, but I absolutely positively recommend an aft balcony. We had 10162 on the Dream and it was AMAZING.

The balconies are enormous and have 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table and it is still plenty spacious. We were on a 4 night cruise so the only two ports we went to were Nassau and Castaway and the ship backs into those locations so we had a front row seat to everything. We also found this area of the ship to be very quiet - it's a short hallway that only has the aft balconies are off of so it's not a heavily walked through area. The only thing that we would think about doing differently is moving down to the 8th or 9th floor because we did have a little overhead noise from Cabanas right above (chair and table moving) but I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't really bother me. I think they are considered category 5E but I'm not positive. Good Luck!!
We were just assigned this cabin today! Do you have a picture of the verandah that you could share?! Thanks!
tdunaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission
 
labdogs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 6,336

I am notvery helpful either, but I booked cabin 7192 aft verandah cabin because I heard such good things about it. Everyone seems to rave about the aft cabins, so if you can snag one, it seems like a good idea to me!
__________________
Jessica . View my Disney Digital Scrapbook HERE
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
jenf22
DIS Veteran
 
jenf22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
Ours says "6A" on Deck 9, which per the stateroom categories on this site is:
Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah (Solid Verandah).

So is it worth calling to change to a plexiglass? What is the difference? Is one better for small children, view, or what?
I'm not sure on the Dream/Fantasy, but on the Magic/Wonder the railing was right at eye level for our then 5yo son (who is tall). He would either bend down to look under it or stand on his tip toes to look over it. For that reason, we book the verandahs with the plexiglass.
__________________
Me DH DS(6) Indy Bo Bella Kiya
Norwegian Epic Mediterranean - June 2015
Norwegian Star Norwegian Fjords - June 2015
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
maggie_sam
Mouseketeer
 
maggie_sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 231

You need to work with two browser windows open so you can switch back and forth. My advice is to go to DCL website, click on the ship you want to sail on and select "Deck Plan." Select a deck, then scroll over the room and category types, and start by finding a verandah room, starboard side. When you mouse over, it will give you the stateroom #. Now go to the 2nd browser window, and go to this link: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomlist.cfm Type in the stateroom # and see if you can find a review. Next suggestion is to search on YouTube, lots of folks post videos of their staterooms.

Finally, I booked last night for October 2014 and it did not give me the option to select my room, but assigned one. I had to call DCL and my first two choices were booked already, but was able to get my third choice, so keep this in mind and have some backups. I spent probably about 3 evenings doing the above and read lots of stateroom reports, but am very confident that I will be very happy with the room, the location, etc. The reports are very helpful because sometimes the things you can't see in a picture, noise from the deck above, or worse, noise from elevators or other ship equipment are the things people mention in their room reviews. Good Luck! Let us know how you make out and what you decide. And, Congratulations. I went to Disneyland on my honeymoon, way before DCL, and I will always remember it
:l
__________________



DisneyWorld 1972, Disneyland 1973, Disneyland 1980, Fort Wilderness 1986, DisneyWorld 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2004, Disney Wonder October 2010, Contemporary & Saratoga Springs 2010, Disney Magic September 2012, Bay Lake Tower September 2013, Disney Dream September 2013
maggie_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
MeLaNie9
DIS Veteran
 
MeLaNie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,064

We stayed in 6188 and loved it - it was aft and just to the port side. The verandah was huge. It was fun to be aft as you can just sit there and watch as the ship backs into CC and ports. I don't really remember what the verandah wall looked like, but I don't recall my kids not being able to see (they were 5 and 8 at the time). I would have re-booked into this room but it only has 3 bedspots (no pull down bed) and we needed 4 spots for the next cruise so I chose 9172 which is basically the same room just on the 9th level. Another nice reason to be aft is that the stairs and elevators are not crowded (although we almost never took the elevators) and you can easily get to Cabanas.
__________________
Me DH DS(9) DS(6) DDoggy(10)

04/1978 CR, 07/1985 CR, 06/1993 DL, 11/2000 ASSp, 05/2006 Poly, 02/2007 YC, 11/2007 CSR, 12/2008 BC, 05/2009 POFQ, 11/2009 DLR-GCH, 05/2010 Atlantis launch and CBR, 11/2010 BWI, 05/2012 POR, 08/2012 DCL-Dream and POR, 10/2013 CSR and DCL-Dream, 3/2014 DCL-Magic surprise getaway!
MeLaNie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.