Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(

Getting my stroller to the world!!

OK, so we are leaving in 5 days, I put the yellow magical express tags onto our 4 bags.

We are carrying our carry ons and put our change of clothes in those because we are headed to our hotel first (AoA), we are dressing for the winter snow storm, so need to change when we get to florida.

I want my stroller when we get to the hotel because we are headed to Magic Kingdom.....But I don't want it at the airport.......
Its a pretty small maclaren

So can I check the stroller when we check our bags, and just head down to baggage claim to get it?? And let magical express get our other luggage??

I don't have a bag for it...it shouldn't get too roughed up though right??
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

yes it can be roughed up. it will be on carts with suitcases. will be handled like a suitcase. can fall off belt to ground near plane to be thrown back on. i would gate check even though you do not want. watch from window at airport to see how things are treated loading bottom of plane.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I would gate check it for many, many reasons!

Last summer I gate checked my MacLaren but when we arrived at our destination it was broken and unusable until a friend fixed it at their home. After that I purchased a red stroller gate-check bag. Lesson learned.

It's up to you what to do but personally I would never check my stroller with the luggage.

If you chose to do so I'm guessing as long as you don't put a yellow label on it you would pick it up at the Orlando airport at the luggage area. Not sure if it would need to be picked up with the items like golf clubs and skis or if it would be on the belt with the luggage.

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
SFreelove
Mouseketeer

I would gate check it that was its free and you can get it when you directly get off the plane. It's the same thing as what your basically saying you want to do by checking it with your luggage but it saves you the hassle of going to try to find it after you land with your checked bags before Disney takes them for you. Gate check it and they will store it while you fly and then it'll be waiting for you when you walk off the plane at the gate.
SFreelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
iheartdisney123
Mouseketeer

Definitely gate check. It's free and easier than having to go to baggage claim. Your stroller will most likely get a little damaged.... Mostly cosmetic. Even when gate checked they are throwing your stroller in the dirty under storage of the plane. Ours came back to us with oil streaks all over the fabric. Whatever you do do not bring an expensive stroller. You'll cringe when you get it back.....
iheartdisney123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

I would buy the red gate check stroller bag from babiesrus or toysrus or amazon and gate check the stroller. It's easiest. Without a bag, expect your stroller to get dirty and possibly greasy.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

Definitely gate check your stroller! My husband worked for an airline for 25 years, he spent time loading cargo, overseeing ramp functions, (including loading suitcases and bag checked items) and was also a supervisor over baggage service and didn't hesitate to but a stroller bag. It was a no brainer for him!

If you really want to have your stroller for the park, Gate check it! Not only will it be on the jet way when you arrive in Orlando, it will be loaded when leave it on the jet way upon departure. If you check your stroller, there is always the possibility, (it is rare, but has happened) that your luggage doesn't get loaded on your flight and may be sent on a later flight.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
iheartdisney123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6disneykids
Definitely gate check your stroller! My husband worked for an airline for 25 years, he spent time loading cargo, overseeing ramp functions, (including loading suitcases and bag checked items) and was also a supervisor over baggage service and didn't hesitate to but a stroller bag. It was a no brainer for him!

If you really want to have your stroller for the park, Gate check it! Not only will it be on the jet way when you arrive in Orlando, it will be loaded when leave it on the jet way upon departure. If you check your stroller, there is always the possibility, (it is rare, but has happened) that your luggage doesn't get loaded on your flight and may be sent on a later flight.
Does it have to be a gate check bag? What if you put it in a large clear plastic bag?
iheartdisney123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

The more durable the fabric, the better protected your stroller will be. There are a lot of families who don't place their strollers in anything. The problem with plastic is it can tear, I would ask your carrier about their requirements. There are always a lot of strollers out in the jet way when you disembark the aircraft in Orlando. . Just remember, since you are taking it to the gate, TSA will still require to inspect it, and if they have an over sized x-ray machine, it will need to go through there. We always put our stroller in the bag just prior to boarding.
If you have invested a lot in your stroller, then I would purchase a stroller bag. Very few families that fly with their strollers have stroller bags. It is just like anything else, some employees are very careful with passenger's belongings, and some just chuck baggage into a bin. The luggage and cargo bins can and do get dirty.
We have always gate checked our stroller, just fold up and leave on the jet way just before you get on the plane. The gate agent should give you a gate checked tag with your departure and arrival city and flight number.

Happy packing and planning
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: