Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

our tradition is stopping at the Dennys at I-5 and HWY58 (buttonwillow exit, i think). My wife hates it since she sees it as wasting a half hour that could be spent at DL/CA, haha.

Lost Hills exit is HWY46, i think. There is a Dennys there we stopped at before but its not as good as the HWY 58 Dennys and also there is lack of AT&T 3G service.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
yoyoyo
Mouseketeer

One place that just dawned on me that we always stop at, is Harris Ranch. We haven't eaten there, but we use it as a potty stop and we buy snacks at the store in the front. They have the best beef jerky!!

Edit: Whoops..didn't see page 1 before I posted. Lots of other peeps mentioned Harris Ranch too
yoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #33
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

Since there are a number of us that travel the "Stockton to LA" section of I-5, we should create of list of all the exits, their distances and what restaurants they have. Also, the quality of of the bathrooms, haha.

That way before a trip it could be printed out and you would know, when people start getting hungry, if its better to take the next exit or maybe wait for the one after it
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Since there are a number of us that travel the "Stockton to LA" section of I-5, we should create of list of all the exits, their distances and what restaurants they have. Also, the quality of of the bathrooms, haha.

That way before a trip it could be printed out and you would know, when people start getting hungry, if its better to take the next exit or maybe wait for the one after it
Good idea!

Here's my tip- do not be tempted to stop at the Baja Fresh at the Jayne Ave exit (partway between Kettleman City/HWY 41 and Harris Ranch). The food is terrible (and we normally really like Baja Fresh), they've been out of key things like, say, rice on several visits and also did not provide items like applesauce and milk that normally come with a kids meal at Baja Fresh (but of course the cost was the same as other Bajas).

There is also limited seating and some of it is IN the convenience store part which is very awkward. (The Baja Fresh is in a gas station/convenience store/travel center type place).

Now its time to say goodbye... (to our APs. With one last special birthday trip for me!)
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #35
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyo View Post
One place that just dawned on me that we always stop at, is Harris Ranch. We haven't eaten there, but we use it as a potty stop and we buy snacks at the store in the front. They have the best beef jerky!!

Edit: Whoops..didn't see page 1 before I posted. Lots of other peeps mentioned Harris Ranch too
Harris Ranch Inn is about 3 miles from the feedlot. If I don't plan at stopping at Harris Ranch Inn, I would rather turn the air to recirculate about a good 2 miles before I get there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Ranch

Quote:
Public reception

The ranch is known to travelers for the "ripe, tangy odor of cow manure", described alternately as a "horrible stench" and "a good, honest, American smell".

In reference to the large number of cattle processed at its facilities, some critics have nicknamed the ranch "Cowschwitz",......
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
carisa81
Mouseketeer

I agree. The Harris Ranch store has good stuff!!

DD-4 DS-4

Disneyland as a Child~countless times.

Disneyland as an Adult~2000-PPH, 2007-Hyatt Regency Orange County, 2008-GC Premium DTD View, 2009-GC DTD View, 2010-GC Pool View, 2011-GC Premium DTD View, 2012-DLH Pool View, 2013-GC Premium DTD View.

Hoping to go this June, 2014!
carisa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #37
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
Good idea!

Here's my tip- do not be tempted to stop at the Baja Fresh at the Jayne Ave exit (partway between Kettleman City/HWY 41 and Harris Ranch). The food is terrible (and we normally really like Baja Fresh), they've been out of key things like, say, rice on several visits and also did not provide items like applesauce and milk that normally come with a kids meal at Baja Fresh (but of course the cost was the same as other Bajas).

There is also limited seating and some of it is IN the convenience store part which is very awkward. (The Baja Fresh is in a gas station/convenience store/travel center type place).
How funny, I stopped there to use the restroom last trip and told me wife to remind me not to stop there next time since it was kind of gross.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #38
lizziegirl450
Earning My Ears

The 5 may bet the fastest, but the 101 is definitely the most interesting and has the most places to stop. If you choose to go on the 101, you should totally stop in SLO for some food. There are multiple good places to eat there. (I just ate at Firestone Grill a few days ago and the tri tip sandwich was delicious!) There's always 17 mile drive in Carmel (out of the way, but worth it for the pictures.) Santa Barbara always has good places to eat.
I recommend leaving around 10 AM maybe? As close to the end of the morning rush hour the better.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #39
algae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Harris Ranch Inn is about 3 miles from the feedlot. If I don't plan at stopping at Harris Ranch Inn, I would rather turn the air to recirculate about a good 2 miles before I get there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Ranch
Ack, I'm with you. Don't stop at Harris ranch. We also turn on the recirculate button on the car a couple miles before there and leave it on for about 10 miles past. The odors are amazingly noxious. We made the mistake of stopping at the In-n-Out there one year. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

There used to be 2 spots on 5 with the fumes problem, but it seems that Harris Ranch is the only one now--at least it's the only one that bothers us now.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #40
Ccihon
Earning My Ears

Pupusas

We just did the drive at the beginning of Feb., and it was ok, though it did really bog down around LA.

There's a great pupusa place about halfway down Rte. 5, in Buttonwillow, think it is called Titas Pupuseria (tried to post link to Yelp, but I don't have enough posts yet).

Doesn't look like much, but don't be scared off by the appearance, it's yummy (and cheap). We liked the pork & cheese pupusa, as well as the squash blossom version. There's a Starbucks right there, too, in case you need a caffeine fix.
Ccihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #41
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Ack, I'm with you. Don't stop at Harris ranch. We also turn on the recirculate button on the car a couple miles before there and leave it on for about 10 miles past. The odors are amazingly noxious. We made the mistake of stopping at the In-n-Out there one year. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

There used to be 2 spots on 5 with the fumes problem, but it seems that Harris Ranch is the only one now--at least it's the only one that bothers us now.
There's no In-N-Out at the Harris Ranch exit. There is some other fast food in addition to the Harris Ranch restaurant though.

Depending on the weather and wind, we find we need to turn on the recirc at the south end of the valley now as well (fairly close to the intersection of the 5 and the 99) as quite a few feed lots have popped up down there.

Now its time to say goodbye... (to our APs. With one last special birthday trip for me!)
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #42
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post

I don't know of any other place on the scale of Harris Ranch. I've driven by dairy farms, hiked among cows, and walked by bison turds. There is nothing I've experienced that compares with Harris Ranch. It's not only that, but the Central Valley heat during the summer that can make the stench unbearable.

Your average field with cows munching on the grass is one thing. The absolute concentration of cows with a lack of any vegetation to absorb the smell is what gives the Harris Ranch feedlot its olfactory rating.

Still - I've dined at the Inn, and the steak was spectacular.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccihon View Post
We just did the drive at the beginning of Feb., and it was ok, though it did really bog down around LA.

There's a great pupusa place about halfway down Rte. 5, in Buttonwillow, think it is called Titas Pupuseria (tried to post link to Yelp, but I don't have enough posts yet).

Doesn't look like much, but don't be scared off by the appearance, it's yummy (and cheap). We liked the pork & cheese pupusa, as well as the squash blossom version. There's a Starbucks right there, too, in case you need a caffeine fix.
I think the Pupusa place is at the HWY58 exit (along with Taste of India). I've never had one but by buddy says they're great
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #44
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Your average field with cows munching on the grass is one thing. The absolute concentration of cows with a lack of any vegetation to absorb the smell is what gives the Harris Ranch feedlot its olfactory rating.
We've taken photos from the car -- we are always kind of shocked at how we can't even see the ground... just wall-to-wall cattle.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccihon View Post

Yes we stopped by Tita's Pupuseria on the way home. Slow service, a hole in the wall in terms of decor, but cheap and tasty. We has Harris Ranch steaks on the way down and they're even slower! So if time is not of the essence (in-n-out is faster than both!) and you're an adventurous eater, try Tita's!
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: