Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #1456
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
SHHHHH!!! (Come closer)

The reason that we don't talk about the Yacht Club is because it is our back up plan for when we make the BC SOOOO popular that even us groupies can't get a reservation.

To be honest, the Beach Club is like the popular sister, sort of like the Marsha Brady of resorts. The BC has the Market Place and it has all the cool CM's hanging there, like Teena. It's like a noisy, loud party and it's only a matter of time before Davy Jones strolls in through the doors and tries to check in. Unfortunately the groupies overwhelm him and he has to take off.

Now when we are talking about the Yacht Club, we are talking Jan Brady all the way. Like Jan, the YC is classy but in a nerdy way. It's white knee socks are pulled up a little too high and and all that nautical decor is a little like one of Jan's jumpers, sturdy, timeless and 100 % polyester. Instead of of Davy Jones running around the resort singing to unsuspecting middle aged women you have the George Glass's of the world hurrying to and fro, on the way to their conventions, with no time what so ever for flirting.

All kidding aside, I think the main difference is that the Beach Club is more family oriented and the Yacht Club is a convention resort, which means it's target guest is the business traveler. The reality is that both resorts are just decorated buildings with almost identical amenities, many of them shared and certainly families are just as welcome at the Yacht Club as they would be at the Art of Animation. The difference is primarily in the decorations and marketing. If I pulled up with a bus load of toddlers I would have no problem booking the Yacht Club for my stay, in fact the Yacht Club is actually closer to the kid's area at Storm Along Bay.

The other reason that we talk so much about the Beach Club is because our friend Teena is there. She means the world to us and she's provided endless answers to all of our questions. We love her common sense, tell it like it really is approach. She helps us with answers and opinions whenever she can and that helps making plans for our Disney vacation all the better.

So there you have it!

~NM
It all makes sense now. I finally understand why I chose the YC for our last stay.

I always wanted to be Marsha Brady, but always knew I was really Jan.

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #1457
meryll83
All it takes is faith and trust... Proud Strawberry Blonde Official DISbride!

Wish us Brits were eligible for the Disney Visa card!

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
10 Pop, 12 Aulani Day Visit, 13 HRH, YC
(Free Dining) & Dream

DLP 05 Cheyenne, 13 Newport Bay

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #1458
Lalabubbles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Absolutely not too early! We have already started a list for 2014.

Are you going to be staying with us when you book your trip?

Of course!!!! After our stay in September I am not sure we want to stay anywhere else . Not sure of our exact dates yet but as soon as I have them I will let you know so we can be added to the BOG list!!!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #1459
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciari View Post
We're booked in a CL standard view room at YC for just our first two nights (4-7 through 4-9) and then on the 9th, we're moving to a garden view at YC. I did online check-in for both reservations, and on the second one, noted that we'd be "arriving" at 7:30 a.m. I did this in the hopes that I could possibly drop our bags right into the new room. Any chance this could happen?
Sounds possible! What I would suggest you do is discuss this with the CL CM who checks you in on April 7. Tell them what you have said here- that you are switching over to a different room at the YC on April 9 and it would be great if your room was ready when you check out of CL.

What are your plans for the switchover day? Are you hanging around the resort or going to a park?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #1460
triciari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma

Sounds possible! What I would suggest you do is discuss this with the CL CM who checks you in on April 7. Tell them what you have said here- that you are switching over to a different room at the YC on April 9 and it would be great if your room was ready when you check out of CL.

What are your plans for the switchover day? Are you hanging around the resort or going to a park?
Hoping to do rope drop at AK through about 2:00, then back to YC. I'm planning to pack a separate bag of clothes which won't need to be opened until after the switch, so "packing" up shouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking that I could just grab a bell cart around 7:30, load it up and either empty it into the new room, or leave it with bell services.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #1461
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Hooray!! We just booked our first ever split stay! We will be at the YC 6/15-6/19. I seriously cannot wait to sink back into SAB!!

Dee, please add us to the list!!
back!!!

I'll add you to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
OK Dee, just made our official reservations!!!

We did a little adjusting.........our first Split Stay

We will be at the Poly from July 19th - 23rd, then will head over to BC from 23rd to 27th.!!!!

It finally feels like it's getting closer!!
I'll make the change *stomps foot a little bit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1fan View Post
Thanks everyone, I made e change this AM to YC with deluxe dine. I can't wait!!!

Let us know when your trip is if you would like to be added to the Be Our Guest list. June?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debelfish View Post
Just booked the second half of our split stay at BC!! June 21st through 26th!!
I was able to get 30% off on standard and garden view. Please add us to the list!!! I can't wait to get back to Beach Club!
Elizabeth

I'll add you to the list. Where is the first part of your stay? I have POR listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalabubbles View Post
Of course!!!! After our stay in September I am not sure we want to stay anywhere else . Not sure of our exact dates yet but as soon as I have them I will let you know so we can be added to the BOG list!!!
I'll pencil you in on the list for late May/early June. You can let me know when you firm up the dates.

@pamkat1820- I changed your dates, but I noticed I still have you listed for October- I should remove that, right?

Last edited by natebenma; 03-29-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #1462
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

Long shot but if we're not crowded and we have a clean room available in your category, it will work. Otherwise, just have Bell Services hold your bags when you check out before 11 AM from your first room, go have fun and when you come back in the afternoon after 3 PM, go to your new room and have Bell Services bring up your bags.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #1463
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
It all makes sense now. I finally understand why I chose the YC for our last stay.

I always wanted to be Marsha Brady, but always knew I was really Jan.
Yup, truth be known, I've always been a Jan, too. I'm booked at the YC-no surprise.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #1464
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Good Morning!
I'm taking a moment on this day-off to note that in 2 weeks, we'll be at WDW! Also, in 2 weeks and 6 days, we'll be at YC!

I'm also noting a strange sensation that I'm sure many of you have felt before and I figured this might be the place to air my thoughts.

I'm a creature of habit.
I'm a teacher, I'm a planner, I'm an organizer.
We have gone to WDW in late August for the past 6 years. It's become an annual event, and we love it, and have come to expect it. As a teacher, I have summers off, or I teach summer school, which is about 1/2 the workload and time as regular school. This leaves me the entire summer to plan, think about, talk about, ok...obsess about our trip. There is resort changing, there is movement to higher room categories, we frequently take early flights, so we have fun bidding on airport hotels for the night before, we watch Disney movies and drink Disney Glowtinis......it's become a tradition.

And then this trip comes along.
My DP's brother and sister-in-law want to take their 9yo son to WDW for the first time and they want DP and I to play tour guide. Of course DP jumped at the chance to take his DN (?Disney nephew?) to "The World," and I couldn't be happier to join. I teach 4th grade, and the majority of my students are 9, so it's a walk in the park for me. This is the age group I love. I'm over-the-moon to be going with this group.

My hesitation is that this trip is being put together and prepared for in a way I'm not used to. Our rooms have been booked for months with no changes (Ok...the YC was a last minute addition...but still...far less resort planning than previous trips). Our dining has been set. Our park days have been set. It's all planned, and with me working full time (regular teaching, plus before-school standardized test prep courses 3 days/week and working on a play with the angels after school), there's been very little time to relish the planning of this trip...and suddenly it's upon us in 2 weeks!

I'm truly in a place of (don't laugh) mourning.....mourning for the loss of planning the trip...posting on the DIS constantly....watching Disney movies (we're too tired at night to get through anything more than 30 minute sitcoms). Because we both work right up until 3 hours before we fly to Orlando, there's no fun night at the airport hotel before we leave, and the whole packing ritual will be quick and done when we have a spare moment about 2 days out.

Is it weird to be feeling like this? Please don't think for a minute that I'm not excited to go, and be with DP and his family....again...I'm elated. I just miss the planning ritual.

Also, for financial reasons, this will likely be our WDW trip for the year, which may in fact, upset me even more. I truly think "What will I do all summer if there's no WDW trip to plan?" We've talked about a less expensive trip (Montreal, Martha's Vineyard-both drivable)(Vegas or a short cruise- cheaper than a week at WDW)....and I think, "Yeah, but planning those isn't as fun as planning for Disney."

Am I talking crazy here??
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #1465
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MC View Post
Good Morning!
I'm taking a moment on this day-off to note that in 2 weeks, we'll be at WDW! Also, in 2 weeks and 6 days, we'll be at YC!

I'm also noting a strange sensation that I'm sure many of you have felt before and I figured this might be the place to air my thoughts.

I'm a creature of habit.
We have gone to WDW in late August for the past 6 years. It's become an annual event, and we love it, and have come to expect it. As a teacher, I have summers off, or I teach summer school, which is about 1/2 the workload and time as regular school. This leaves me the entire summer to plan, think about, talk about, ok...obsess about our trip. There is resort changing, there is movement to higher room categories, we frequently take early flights, so we have fun bidding on airport hotels for the night before, we watch Disney movies and drink Disney Glowtinis......it's become a tradition.

My DP's brother and sister-in-law want to take their 9yo son to WDW for the first time and they want DP and I to play tour guide. Of course DP jumped at the chance to take his DN (?Disney nephew?) to "The World," and I couldn't be happier to join. I teach 4th grade, and the majority of my students are 9, so it's a walk in the park for me. This is the age group I love. I'm over-the-moon to be going with this group.

My hesitation is that this trip is being put together and prepared for in a way I'm not used to. Our rooms have been booked for months with no changes (Ok...the YC was a last minute addition...but still...far less resort planning than previous trips). Our dining has been set. Our park days have been set. It's all planned, and with me working full time (regular teaching, plus before-school standardized test prep courses 3 days/week and working on a play with the angels after school), there's been very little time to relish the planning of this trip...and suddenly it's upon us in 2 weeks!

I'm truly in a place of (don't laugh) mourning.....mourning for the loss of planning the trip...posting on the DIS constantly....watching Disney movies (we're too tired at night to get through anything more than 30 minute sitcoms). Because we both work right up until 3 hours before we fly to Orlando, there's no fun night at the airport hotel before we leave, and the whole packing ritual will be quick and done when we have a spare moment about 2 days out.

Is it weird to be feeling like this? Please don't think for a minute that I'm not excited to go, and be with DP and his family....again...I'm elated. I just miss the planning ritual.

Also, for financial reasons, this will likely be our WDW trip for the year, which may in fact, upset me even more. I truly think "What will I do all summer if there's no WDW trip to plan?" We've talked about a less expensive trip (Montreal, Martha's Vineyard-both drivable)(Vegas or a short cruise- cheaper than a week at WDW)....and I think, "Yeah, but planning those isn't as fun as planning for Disney."

2 weeks and 6 days we'll be at YC!!! Maybe we'll get to meet you and DP????

I would suggest just throwing yourself into packing and making lists and planning your days, even if not to the extent that you normally do, just to make it a little more normal. And if it makes you feel better, we won't be heading back until next summer either...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 03-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #1466
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Yup, truth be known, I've always been a Jan, too. I'm booked at the YC-no surprise.
I am definitely a Jan - YC for me!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #1467
imobsessedwithdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good Morning!

I'm a creature of habit.

Hi Scott, no crazy talk at all in your post. Sometimes I ask myself which I love more. The planning or the trip... Sounds like a fun trip your going to have in 2 weeks! As for the financial part of it maybe u can squeeze in that summer trip. If u got an AP or TiW or stayed in a mod or value could u make it happen? Anyway, either way I'm sure your gonna have a blast!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #1468
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Hey, Scott!

I get it! I love, love, love the planning part of the trip. Last year, when I went on my son's 8th grade class trip to Disney (145 teenagers!) I didn't get to plan ANYTHING!!! Not the resort, the flights or the dining.

What happens when the planning is out of your hands? You end up on Stitch as your first attraction! *shudders*

Enjoy your trip, and as a wise person on this thread posted recently: Remember, about half-way through your current trip, you will start planning for the next one.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #1469
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you will find that a lot of people here feel your pain. The planning is almost more fun than the doing, especially since the planning lasts longer.

Is there any way they would compromise? Is there a chance you could plan a day or two without DP's family? Maybe they will ask your advice, since you are the experienced trip planner and you will still have a role to play. I hope so.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #1470
ella6599
Mouseketeer

Scott- I totally get it! I love the planning! That said...on the trip before last, I went through a period of depression during the planning period, and basically dumped the whole thing in my husband's lap. (fortunately, I trained him well in obsessive planning). I even worried if I should be going at all, whether I'd enjoy it...But, when I got there, Disney worked its magic, and it was a great trip! So obsess over what you can in the next few weeks, and trust that it will be great.

And for the long wait between trips...you can still plan Disney...and I have a lot of fun planning fantasy vacations...I have whole pinterest boards on possible vacation destinations, as well as my fantasy "beautiful places" board

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: