Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #196
Ziggy
Playing guitar with the spiders from mars
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab53085 View Post
The one I'm talking about is at the Crossroads at the end of Buena Vista Drive where the DTD hotels are. I think it's about a mile but I know the intesection is pretty busy. Trying to figure out ways around renting a car.
I've crossed over at this intersection before. Maybe you could catch a bus to DTD and walk up, we were staying at the Hilton when we used to walk up and we had two young children in tow.
__________________
Ziggy is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #197
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran
 
Gr8t Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab53085 View Post
The one I'm talking about is at the Crossroads at the end of Buena Vista Drive where the DTD hotels are. I think it's about a mile but I know the intesection is pretty busy. Trying to figure out ways around renting a car.
It is a busy intersection, but there are always loads of people out walking when we've driven by and there is a traffic light there, so I think it's definitely doable. Just be extra cautious near the intersection.
Gr8t Fan is online now  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #198
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe

It was an old WDW show on the Travel Channel. Now the only place you can see it is on YouTube. I wish they would make shows like this again, they are so neat to watch!!! You can see it here: http://youtu.be/NB7zVh7uz7g
Erika,

I just pulled up your link on YouTube on our tv! How cool! Did they just follow you for 1 day? Did you plan the trip or did they do it for you? Thanks for sharing!!

Angeejoe
__________________
11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Angeejoe is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #199
beebeeryan
DIS Veteran
 
beebeeryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamkat1820 View Post
With our school schedule she misses the first 3 days ( they go back on Wednesday) then they have off Monday thurs & Friday the following week. I would have loved to go the following week but I was told the agency couldn't push the deal out that far ;(. She would have only missed 2 days. I was thinking the deal was only for BC/YC & GF so how many extra ppl could that really be to cause that big in a rise in the crowds

We took advantage of that deal as well, I was looking at booking POR this trip to keep the price down, but then I saw that deal and it was the same price as POR without any discount so took advantage. Stuck with standard, didn't think we'd get our money's worth at CL based on our eating habits. We've been lucky with 40% off deals on our past trips, but this one beat them both! I have always wanted to try the Boardwalk area so am so excited to be staying at YC!

Our kids start after Labor Day, usually the Thursday and we've gone twice that last week of August and crowds are great. I don't think this agency special that was so limited will make a difference overall in crowds.

Yes, it's hot, but it's the perfect time to take advantage of morning EMH and then afternoons at SAB and there are lots of cooling off attractions around. Honestly the heat was never a huge deal on our past 2 trips. Most rides were walk on or 5-10 minutes waits and a few 20 minutes for the headliners (not including TSM of course). Not bad at all.
__________________
Barbara , DH , DS 11 DS 8
DS's Magic Moment
Aug 1984 ~ Dec 1992 ~ May 1998 (POFQ) ~ Aug 2010 (VWL-Video) ~ Aug 2011 (CR) PTR Video TR~ Aug 2013 (YC)Review Dining Video



beebeeryan is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #200
Karebear
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 453

[QUOTE=capeseal;47648025]And getting to DtD is just fine. And you are lulled into a false sense of security that the ride back will be okay as well. Only the ride back to YC/BC is always terrible. I wanted to use the route posted here when we were stuck behind the broken down bus on our trip of doom but DH said it wouldn't be any better. He was so so so wrong. That bus ride makes people crazy. I swear otherwise normal Disney guests become possessed and behave in terrible, inexplicable ways .

Are there cabs from DtD back to BC/YC. I wouldn't mind paying for one since the buses seem to be so bad. Is there a taxi stand and if so, where in DTD is it located? We are thinking of going to DtD on a Sat. night and I am not sure if that would add to the crowds or not? Would it be hard to get a taxi back to the hotel? Thanks so much!
__________________
Mom to one pirate and one princess

Karebear is online now  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #201
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe

Erika,

I just pulled up your link on YouTube on our tv! How cool! Did they just follow you for 1 day? Did you plan the trip or did they do it for you? Thanks for sharing!!

Angeejoe
Yep, just one day, plus a day to film those little interview segments. I planned it somewhat. They already had certain things setup. Originally I wanted to start in fantasyland (of course) but there was an EMH morning and it conflicted with the CRT breakfast that was already arranged so some parts had to be switched around. But for the most part I did the touring plan. The dinner at HDD was already set, but I suggested the fireworks cruise. Normally we would never cram that much into one day, but they wanted it action packed.... I don't think I was ever more tired than I was that night. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
TigrLvsPooh is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #202
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeeryan

We took advantage of that deal as well, I was looking at booking POR this trip to keep the price down, but then I saw that deal and it was the same price as POR without any discount so took advantage. Stuck with standard, didn't think we'd get our money's worth at CL based on our eating habits. We've been lucky with 40% off deals on our past trips, but this one beat them both! I have always wanted to try the Boardwalk area so am so excited to be staying at YC!

Our kids start after Labor Day, usually the Thursday and we've gone twice that last week of August and crowds are great. I don't think this agency special that was so limited will make a difference overall in crowds.

Yes, it's hot, but it's the perfect time to take advantage of morning EMH and then afternoons at SAB and there are lots of cooling off attractions around. Honestly the heat was never a huge deal on our past 2 trips. Most rides were walk on or 5-10 minutes waits and a few 20 minutes for the headliners (not including TSM of course). Not bad at all.
We really enjoyed our August 2012 stay at the BC! I was worried it was going to be miserably hot but the heat was perfect for SAB and the whole trip worked out perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
TigrLvsPooh is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #203
CT Disney
Mouseketeer
 
CT Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post

Thank you so much to both of you for the help!!! Those 4 rooms that face the gazebo would be nice to have and very close to everything. I had also been told that 5143, 5145, and 5147 were also GV but I haven't been able to confirm that. Has anyone been in 5195, 5197, or 5199??? Those appear to be possible GV rooms according to the map. Thank you for the info on 5198, I know we definitely won't have that one since we have 4 people.

thanks again!!!!!!!
I'm glad you mentioned those rooms because I had the same question! It seems to be general knowledge around these parts that there are only 5 YC CL GV rooms. But, in looking at the map, I have to imagine that 5143, 5145 and 5147 might be GV too?? I don't think they'd be WV as they don't seem to offer a clear view of the lagoon or pool, and since there are no parking lots or rooftops in this area, SV wouldn't make sense either. I have to say that my DH and I loved looking over the main lake entrance. It was awesome for people watching! So, if those 3 rooms are GV too, I wouldn't mind that one bit!!

As for 5195, 5197 and 5199, I am guessing they might be water view overlooking SAB. Not sure though.

My DH would totally laugh at me if he knew I was looking so in depth at room numbers. But, I like knowing the possibilities!
__________________
1993 Hotel Royal Plaza, 1994 DXL, 1996 OKW, 1998 Dolphin, 1999 OKW, 2002 HHI, 2005 POFQ, 2005 Vero Beach, 2006 WL, 2008 POR,
2010 YC CL, 2012 POR, 2013 YC CL, 2013 Poly CL

CT Disney is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #204
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Disney View Post
I'm glad you mentioned those rooms because I had the same question! It seems to be general knowledge around these parts that there are only 5 YC CL GV rooms. But, in looking at the map, I have to imagine that 5143, 5145 and 5147 might be GV too?? I don't think they'd be WV as they don't seem to offer a clear view of the lagoon or pool, and since there are no parking lots or rooftops in this area, SV wouldn't make sense either. I have to say that my DH and I loved looking over the main lake entrance. It was awesome for people watching! So, if those 3 rooms are GV too, I wouldn't mind that one bit!!

As for 5195, 5197 and 5199, I am guessing they might be water view overlooking SAB. Not sure though.

My DH would totally laugh at me if he knew I was looking so in depth at room numbers. But, I like knowing the possibilities!
I don't like unexpected surprises that turn out to be bad ones! LOL I think I was permanently scarred after a dumpster view at the WL years ago! I don't really care that much about what we overlook because we can usually find something positive in any view. Sometimes even standard rooms have amazing fireworks views , but just to be on the safe side I'd rather know what's coming. I've got a couple of YC CM's in mind who might even be willing to show me these rooms and fill me in on the facts, I will ask when we get there!
TigrLvsPooh is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #205
CT Disney
Mouseketeer
 
CT Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
I don't like unexpected surprises that turn out to be bad ones! LOL I think I was permanently scarred after a dumpster view at the WL years ago! I don't really care that much about what we overlook because we can usually find something positive in any view. Sometimes even standard rooms have amazing fireworks views , but just to be on the safe side I'd rather know what's coming. I've got a couple of YC CM's in mind who might even be willing to show me these rooms and fill me in on the facts, I will ask when we get there!
Ha Ha! I totally know what you mean about being scarred by a dumpster view. When we stayed YC CL SV in 2010 for our 15 year anniversary we were originally given a "lovely" dumpster / service area view. The thought of sitting on the balcony with my romantic DH, a cup of wine, and a dumpster was..well...not appealing. I guess that when you pay so much for a deluxe hotel you just don't want to overlook a trash area. So, my husband did a little begging and they graciously moved us to another room.

Not trying to scare anyone booked SV. I'm sure most of the SV rooms are just fine! I know that the SV room description says that you may overlook a parking area or rooftop. So, I was prepared for those possibilities. But, dumpster view I was not prepared for.

I have to wonder if Disney ever considered offering service-view rooms at a discount. For what they charge for a deluxe, to overlook a dumpster or service area isn't acceptable in my opinion. But, I'm one that cares about the view. I sure that others may feel differently.

Funny thing is...the only request we had put on our reservation was "celebrating 15 year wedding anniversary - pleasant view please". So, I have first hand knowledge that "room requests are not guaranteed"!
__________________
1993 Hotel Royal Plaza, 1994 DXL, 1996 OKW, 1998 Dolphin, 1999 OKW, 2002 HHI, 2005 POFQ, 2005 Vero Beach, 2006 WL, 2008 POR,
2010 YC CL, 2012 POR, 2013 YC CL, 2013 Poly CL

CT Disney is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #206
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Disney View Post
Ha Ha! I totally know what you mean about being scarred by a dumpster view. When we stayed YC CL SV in 2010 for our 15 year anniversary we were originally given a "lovely" dumpster / service area view. The thought of sitting on the balcony with my romantic DH, a cup of wine, and a dumpster was..well...not appealing. I guess that when you pay so much for a deluxe hotel you just don't want to overlook a trash area. So, my husband did a little begging and they graciously moved us to another room.

Not trying to scare anyone booked SV. I'm sure most of the SV rooms are just fine! I know that the SV room description says that you may overlook a parking area or rooftop. So, I was prepared for those possibilities. But, dumpster view I was not prepared for.

I have to wonder if Disney ever considered offering service-view rooms at a discount. For what they charge for a deluxe, to overlook a dumpster or service area isn't acceptable in my opinion. But, I'm one that cares about the view. I sure that others may feel differently.

Funny thing is...the only request we had put on our reservation was "celebrating 15 year wedding anniversary - pleasant view please". So, I have first hand knowledge that "room requests are not guaranteed"!
Great, I'll bet we get the dumpster view...

We have a YC SV CL room in April.....
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #207
CT Disney
Mouseketeer
 
CT Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Great, I'll bet we get the dumpster view...

We have a YC SV CL room in April.....
2010 was the very first time we stayed CL. Like I said, it was our anniversary and we traveled without the kids, so we decided to splurge. I recall telling my husband before we left home, "Even though it's standard view, this is club level...it's like VIP...there won't be any bad views. These are some of the best rooms in the hotel!" Talk about eating your words!

Tell you what Mousemommy1, looks like our trips overlap. If you get the dumpster view, you can sit on my GV balcony!

But, seriously I wouldn't worry....the chances of you getting that room are probably pretty low!
__________________
1993 Hotel Royal Plaza, 1994 DXL, 1996 OKW, 1998 Dolphin, 1999 OKW, 2002 HHI, 2005 POFQ, 2005 Vero Beach, 2006 WL, 2008 POR,
2010 YC CL, 2012 POR, 2013 YC CL, 2013 Poly CL

CT Disney is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #208
1coolnini
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern California (30 mins east of DL)
Posts: 163

How do I get to the main entrance of Epcot before opening? I know we discussed the International Gateway the other day, but we are scheduled to do the Back Stage Magic tour and we need to check in at guest relations outside Epcot's main entrance prior to the park's opening. Is this walkable? Is there a bus available? Will we need a taxi?

Jan
__________________
DLR AP holder for 30 years.


10 day stay May 2013 (BC)
1coolnini is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #209
MickeyAgain
Earning My Ears
 
MickeyAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37

With all this talk about how bad the bus is from DTD back to BC/YC.. about how much would a taxi cost?? I'm thinking we will go that route then take our chances. Hmmmm
__________________
MickeyAgain is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #210
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1

Great, I'll bet we get the dumpster view...

We have a YC SV CL room in April.....
Request "close to lounge" ... All those rooms overlook the front entrance and some have a view of distant fireworks from MK. We've stayed standard there a few times, never saw a dumpster, it must be way way down at the end of the hall???? I thought all the CL rooms overlooked the entrance. Hmmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
TigrLvsPooh is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: