Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #1951
phoebec
Mouseketeer

I have to say what a great thread this is and the wealth of information and pictures on the BC is amazing. We are going June of next year and this site is getting me so excited!!!!! I just wish it wasn't 14 months away!!!!
I am hoping for June 1-8, and we will most likely get a garden view room. I have to decide on regular or deluxe dining. There will be 5 of us, me, DH, DS11, DS9 and DD6. I think all the info here will keep me busy for a few months!!!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #1952
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney View Post
Good morning fellow YC/BC fans . We're scheduled to land at MCO in a few weeks at 8:47am Staying at YC. Do u think its realistic to think we will make a late breakfast at Cape May. I'd love to start our trip with a big yummy breakfast with the characters. Thanks for any input.
The "average" time from when you land and arrive at the resort via Magical Express is an hour and a half to two hours. So, I think you'd be okay to you eat as soon as you get there.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #1953
Graniteland
MouseMan

Just 14 more short days until arriving at BC with the family.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #1954
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

The Winds of Change keep blowing through.

We were originally planning on an 8/3 until 8/10 stay
Flying out of New England to MCO. Looked like RT flights for the 4 of us would be around $1350, including taxes/fees.

Did some digging...

If we leave on 8/2 instead, we can get a flight for under $800 including taxes/fees. Possibly doing a night at an Allstar (Sports maybe) for $179 before 15% Visa discount...

I think we are becoming Split Stay peeps...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #1955
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteland View Post
I won't be able to sleep when I get within 2 weeks! Enjoy the trip.
Maybe the snow will be melted by the time you get back
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #1956
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMinVA View Post
That picture of the sunken treasure now hangs in my office
Any bad thought is melted away by the beauty of my special drink...

My goal: sunken treasure on my Disney Alaskan cruise....am i up to the challenge??

Heres a tip - if anyone trades vinylmations; i just scored a whole bunch at the disney store on clearance for 2.99 each....great for trading! My son got interested while we were in the World and it was costly paying regular price. I also ran into a lady who was buying about 10 an planning to use them as favors at her sons birthday party. just a thought.
Hi ALMinVA! Wasn't in the tropical drink mood on the Wonder to Alaska last summer, but the Cove Cafe has an AMAZING coffee drink that I highly recommend. Can't recall the name, but it has Bailey's and Kahlua.

Also, if your kids love Vinylmation trading as much as ours do, they should look for CM Bailey in Mickey's Mates on the Wonder. But I'm not sure if DCL is continuing with the trading boxes - I hope so! WDW scaled back Vinylmation trading significantly when we were there in January/February and now trading is only available at D Street, one (sometimes two) locations per park, but not at resorts.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #1957
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
I think I tracked down the "famous fish lamps" of the BC...
LOL! We knew if we didn't see these lamps on the way to the lobby from the secret Room 1501 exit door to EPCOT we had taken a wrong turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakacie View Post
Today's recap - hope ya'll don't mind. This is one way for me to "jot" down the basics of what we did each day
~SNIP!~
Back to bed with my friend Ty(lenol)
I have two thoughts...
1) not only do we not mind we REALLY love it when you share with your trip highlights with us!

2) Umm.... Does your husband know about that little thing you have with "Ty"?

Quote:
Good morning fellow YC/BC fans . We're scheduled to land at MCO in a few weeks at 8:47am Staying at YC. Do u think its realistic to think we will make a late breakfast at Cape May. I'd love to start our trip with a big yummy breakfast with the characters. Thanks for any input.
Hmm... this is a tough one. I'll play devil's advocate and tell you what would run through my mind if I had to make this decision....

In the past we got burned with missing an ADR because of travel delays. IF it is a non credit card hold type of ADR I think that since it's the morning I MIGHT try to go for it. If it's a credit card hold ADR I wouldn't try to risk it.

A factor in your favor is that it is morning travel so there is less chance for a delay.

I'm the neurotic type with my WDW planning so I wouldn't risk trying to do this on my travel day. There is also all the 'agita' of schlepping your baggage and family from one point to the other, the transport and the checking in will take time and energy and if your room is ready there is the time that it would take to get the stuff up there. If you have to get up at zero dark thirty to get to the airport then that is going to add another level of complexity and fatigue to the considerations.

On the one hand a sit down meal after all of this would be nice, but then I question whether we would be ready to rush off to just one more thing... So in the end I'm thinking that it really depends on your family. Are you the go, go, go types or are you the type of family that can only go so far before you all run out of steam and the 'crabby' starts? (That is our family.)

I've tried to paint a picture for you of what we experience when we travel to WDW. This however may have no resemblance to what it's like when you travel. Only you would know what that is like for your family. Hopefully this will get you thinking about what it will be like for you and whether this ADR is right for you.

~NM
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #1958
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom

Hmm... this is a tough one. I'll play devil's advocate and tell you what would run through my mind if I had to make this decision....

In the past we got burned with missing an ADR because of travel delays. IF it is a non credit card hold type of ADR I think that since it's the morning I MIGHT try to go for it. If it's a credit card hold ADR I wouldn't try to risk it.

A factor in your favor is that it is morning travel so there is less chance for a delay.

~NM
This reservation does require a credit card hold, therefore I wouldn't recommend it. Too many things could go wrong and who wants to be on Magic Express worrying about making the first ADR? If you are looking to relax and have a sit down, I would recommend Captain's Grille. You can usually get in without an ADR and it's still close by. You could also make an ADR and if you are running late, your credit card would not be charged the no-show fee.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last edited by 333disneymom; 04-06-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #1959
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post

We tried having an ADR on our arrival day last year. While we managed to make it to 'OHana, it was fraught with anxiety. We never imagined that we might NOT make a 5 pm ADR when our morning flight was at 7 am.

We were the first flight scheduled out of O'Hare to Orlando. First, there were multiple gate changes that caused us to run between United's B & C terminal gates. If you are familiar with O'Hare, this means taking an escalator and a couple of moving sidewalks as you go under ground beneath the tarmac. Of course, all the gates were at opposite ends of the terminal. We did this 3 times before they decided to tell us that there were equipment problems. At 9:45, after all the out of breath and crabby families had finally gotten to our real gate, a whopper of a midwest summer storm came through. The entire airport closed for about 45 minutes, and nobody's allowed to be on the tarmac, including all the airport workers. The airport opened again at 10:30 am, and now we have to wait while all the workers return to their spots outside. All the planes that were waiting for gates were finally allowed to come back in. We were allowed to finally board our flight around noon. Of course, there were about 14 million planes in front of us for take off, so we sat on the plane for another 45 minutes before taking off. Of course, we have a time change, so it's really 1:30 before we take off. When we finally got to MCO, there was no gate right away so we sat for a while. We managed to make it to the AoA at 4:30. We checked in and left immediately. We took a cab and managed to make it to the Poly by 5:05. We were all so frazzled that our pictures from that night look like a bunch of deer in the headlights, with glowing eyes and all.

Last edited by AliceIn; 04-06-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1960
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think it's possible to make it, but it would be tight. We've been making an ADR on arrival nights since our oldest son (now a teen) was a baby, and we continue to do so even with the new cancellation penalties. We know there is some risk, but we love our arrival night tradition of dinner at Garden Grill and are willing to assume the risk. In January, we had an ADR at GG three hours after we landed, and we were staying at Poly. We made it in plenty of time and I wasn't stressed. The worst that could happen is they charge us the cancellation fee, and the best that could happen (and did!) was that we could have a great, relaxing dinner with festive characters to start off our trip! So I'm all for making an ADR if you're not going to be stressed about it.

But since Cape May breakfast goes until 11:30am, I think that might be too tight for you to actually enjoy it when you arrive. If we arrive early enough for lunch, we make a lunch ADR in Epcot, and it's almost always Chef's de France. No cancellation penalties, a great spot for lunch, and close to BC.

P.S. We're a TS family - usually at least two ADRs per day and breakfast in the club lounge. My husband doesn't do well with CS. So take my post with a grain of salt!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #1961
mom_of_2
Mouseketeer

Mommakacie, I am loving your trip reports. I sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

Bigawl, thank you for your pictures. I wish I was there now. It looks so peaceful.

Me, DH, DS (6), DD (4)
June 2011 OKWJuly 2012 Hilton Head Island Resort August 2013 BC CL November 2014 WL
Old 04-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #1962
ocalla
DIS Veteran

You guys have given great advice on arrival day ASRs, especially The credit card holding type!!!

I currently have the Afternoon Tea at GF for arrival afternoon, we land at 10:30, but I am now changing it!!!!

Our flight a few weeks ago was delayed by 1 hour, so it should have occurred to me then that the Tea was not a good idea!!!!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #1963
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
You guys have given great advice on arrival day ASRs, especially The credit card holding type!!!

I currently have the Afternoon Tea at GF for arrival afternoon, we land at 10:30, but I am now changing it!!!!

Our flight a few weeks ago was delayed by 1 hour, so it should have occurred to me then that the Tea was not a good idea!!!!
Plus there is the fact of all the fatigue from travel day. I know we enjoy just getting to the resort and collapsing. Back in the day we used to commando plan this first day, especially since Disney is so expensive and no matter how many days we stay we never seem to have enough time. It really got the trip off on the wrong foot because we were tired and crabby and over taxed energy wise.

There is also the benefit of taking the time to get situated in the room and explore the resort. With my family this is best spent as time off the travel leash. We wander around the hotel and find some place to eat with out having the pressure of a schedule. If our room isn't ready we wing it and and decide if we want to hit the pool or run to the parks. Without any locked in plans we can see how we feel and not do too much. We concentrate on doing the things we want and we know that the parks will still be there the next day.

I guess you could say we plan our first day as a resort day. With all the energy expended getting there and getting set up this is a plan that our family finds best suited to our needs. Your milege may vary...

~NM
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #1964
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Does anyone else think it's a good idea if the hotel decided to "theme" the roof VIEW in a beach motif? I'm talking sand colored rocks with blue colored rocks near the edge of the roof for that zero entry ocean effect. Maybe there could be a couple of plastic rocks to simulate a jetty and a fake wooden pier with a couple of those audio animatronic seagulls from Finding Nemo yelling "Mine, mine, mine!!!" every time someone hogs a pool chair....?

~NM
Excellent idea! Maybe with a flat George Clooney at the beach too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
EEEEK!!! 1 week and 6 days until our 1st YC stay!!!!!

I am having such a hard time concentrating at work!
Wow, won't be long now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rea59 View Post
80 more days until Beach Club. This will be our first Beach Club visit. I can't wait
Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
bigAWL, love the photos! Our next WDW trip is quite far into the future, so I really appreciate the happy photos!

Jay, welcome back! Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, and sending well wishes to your family.

Thanks so much, Jenny and Robyn! I'll be right here lobbying for Vero Beach! Just a warning - no time to shop (especially with three boys), but the shopping looked quite good!

Smiling Chesire Cat, I'll add another vote for GV!! Since that category debuted a couple years ago, we've always booked GV whenever possible. It's a nice middle ground between the parking lot view and the expense of a water view. We really loved our most recent GV near the lobby overlooking the courtyard on the lake side. We did see a bit of lake along with garden. And it was so easy to hop down to BC Marketplace, SAB or the path to Epcot. We've stayed in CL and non-CL rooms all over BC, and this was our favorite non-CL room.

Thank you, AliceIn! It's approximately 2 hours away. Wish it were a bit closer, but I'd say it's well worth it!

Thanks for the update, mommakacie! Hope you continue to have a great time - the story of your day reminds me of why the Epcot resorts are so convenient for families!

Thanks, Sue! After boogie boarding all these years, I'd love to take surf lessons. I've decided against TL lessons, but keep thinking about lessons in California. Always looking for more beach locations, so I need to look into Deerfield Beach!

for extra days. I'll look forward to hearing about your stay at the new shiny GF (or at least shiny on the outside with the new pool.) It's the only deluxe that we haven't stayed at yet, but it's hard to give up our favorites to try it!

Thanks, Dee! You know how much we love the waves, but it was too cold for me to go in (high of 66!) so I had to settle for taking photos. Another "break a leg" for Ben!
Cocoa Beach was fun to surf at. Last time the girls went they had unusually big surf was just after a storm. But the instructor was great.

I love Deerfield Beach. This will be our first time staying there. Usually we've stayed in Ft Lauderdale Beach, or at my moms condo. But we sold it last year.
I think Deerfield is my fav beach. Our hotel is a block from the beach, and has a kitchen. We will be in Florida almost a month, so eatting out 3 meals a day will get old. Happy to have a kitchen for this part of the trip.
For this reason decided against a beachfront property. Not many have kitchens, and they charge $20/night parking I can walk a block!!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #1965
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKim View Post
What would be the best way to get from Beach Club to Grand Floridian? I have reservations for the afternoon tea at Grand View Tea Room. We don't have park hoppers, so going through Epcot is not an option. If we take the bus to MK, then monorail to GF, how long would it take and how early should we leave in order to be at GF at 3:30? And how about going from BC to Poly for a 5:20 reservation at Kona Cafe? Thanks for your help.
I like taking the MK bus, then the GF boat. The boat dock is close to the monorail, and boat goes directly to GF. If you take the monorail to GF, you have to stop at CR, TTC, and Poly first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Dee - Have a great day - hoping for a great night! I know it's bad luck to say "good luck" and given our history I have trouble saying "break a leg".

When we were there in July you could get your sandwiches customized at BC Marketplace. HTH.
Good to know they aren't all Pre made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
Crews Cup Lounge is next to the Yachtsman Steakhouse and is not part of the dining plan. If it does become part of the dining plan, it would be a table service. The food in there is great!!!!! Love the burgers!
I'm going to have to try that! Since we won't have the DDP, sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteland View Post

big AWL loving the pics
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: