Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #1831
my2princessgirls
DIS Veteran

Could you add another (short) trip to the BOG list for me? DH and I will be at the YC August 2-4 for a weekend anniversary getaway.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #1832
rea59
Mouseketeer

We're staying in a 1 bedroom suite and I would love a full balcony. Will it help if I e-mail the IPO with the request or should I do online checkin an make the request there? I've never done online checkin before.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #1833
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2princessgirls View Post
But doesn't that defeat the purpose? If the resort is full (enough), they aren't going to offer a discount... I always thought that the resort needs to have a certain amount of availability in order for them to offer discounted rooms. If everyone were to book with the intent of adding a discount later, then the resort fills up and there isn't a need to discount the rooms.
I guess I like to be in charge of my own destiny.
The person who asked the question has already booked their airfare and their travel dates were over Veterans weekend. Right there is reason enough to get that room reservation. There may not be a discount offered for that holiday weekend.

If you are flexible with your dates, meaning you haven't booked airfare and you aren't working with school and job schedules, then by all means wait for a discount. I want to book a bounce back in December for a return to the BC during the Flower and Garden show in the spring of 2014. But I'm flexible enough to wait until December before I book the room, since I don't have too many scheduling problems. As long as I am in the office to run the payroll, any other date is fine.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #1834
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rea59 View Post
We're staying in a 1 bedroom suite and I would love a full balcony. Will it help if I e-mail the IPO with the request or should I do online checkin an make the request there? I've never done online checkin before.
I would put that request everywhere you possibly can!

1) have it on your reservation now, through the Central Reservations Office. Did you book directly with Disney or a travel agency/company?

2) email IPO

3) indicate full balcony for your request if you check-in online. I haven't done this either, but it appears "full balcony" is one of the request options.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #1835
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

Do we think (or know) if the wrist bands (when they come into service) will affect SAB ID proof process? Seems like if I no longer have a room card, it'll be hard to show it.

(I apologize if this has been discussed!)

Another chilly day in New England, with thoughts of SAB distracting me from it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #1836
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rea59 View Post
Make sure it is a request on your reservation now. And then email IPO too. Never hurts.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1837
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
Do we think (or know) if the wrist bands (when they come into service) will affect SAB ID proof process? Seems like if I no longer have a room card, it'll be hard to show it.

(I apologize if this has been discussed!)

Another chilly day in New England, with thoughts of SAB distracting me from it.
I would think they would need RFID readers at all the entry points to verify guests are staying at YC/BC. Those could be hard-installed devices like the readers for park entry or the tap-to-pay devices at the cashiers. Or I suppose they could be hand-held wireless devices operated by CMs.

But then does the CM still issue the current paper wristbands to quickly identify people re-entering the SAB area? Or do guests have to tap the RFID reader every time? Not sure how they will handle it.
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back

Future Plans:
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #1838
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Just heard back from our TA - it's official!

Dee - you can add CL next to my name on the Be Our Guest List!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #1839
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
BUMP!!!

Do any of our international friends know the answer to this?

I have never done the green Mickey ears. Some do, but people say they haven't seen many on their trips, and even when they have the ears on their bags there hasn't been a lot of interaction with others.

It can't hurt, though!
We got luggage tags, magical express details in the mail last year but Not the stickers to put on your luggage as you have to pick it up yourself and bring it through customs. We just brought it to the bus with us so no waiting for it to appear in the room
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #1840
tpoo
Earning My Ears

All checked in!!! This time tomorrow we will be halfway to MCO
Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #1841
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Just heard back from our TA - it's official!

Dee - you can add CL next to my name on the Be Our Guest List!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoo View Post
All checked in!!! This time tomorrow we will be halfway to MCO
. That is all.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #1842
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemh628 View Post
I hope you will post a pic when you finish!
I also would love to see what kind of pirate document the two of you (Captain) Cook up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2princessgirls View Post
But doesn't that defeat the purpose? If the resort is full (enough), they aren't going to offer a discount... I always thought that the resort needs to have a certain amount of availability in order for them to offer discounted rooms. If everyone were to book with the intent of adding a discount later, then the resort fills up and there isn't a need to discount the rooms.
They still may offer the discount. Remember the object of these discount enticements is to get the resort as full as possible. The resort more than likely may still have rooms open, but only for shorter stays like 1 or 2 days. Staying at a resort for 1 or 2 days may not fit someone's idea of a great plan but with the proper financial enticement it may be the tipping point that convinces people to book and fill up these shorter stay rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahA View Post
We will be staying at the BC for the 1st time this summer. We usually go to a park, come back, go swimming, get ready for dinner, etc... Is the pool just crazy busy in the afternoon? Is there any chance of getting a chair? I don't mind walking around and looking for a chair but was worried that it might be to busy and crowded. Any tips?
Ah yes.... the summer season will soon be upon us. This is the time of year where we see a lot of questions from the summer trip planners about what will the pool situation be. Well Auntie Ninja is here to tell you how it's been in the past. Put your jammies on an pull up a chair while I go make us the Sunkin Treasures. It's history lesson time!

Here is what will happen. It happens at just about every Disney resort pool in the summer so Storm Along Bay is not the only pool where this occurs.

1) The resorts will be very busy and it will be hot out.

2) People will think it's a good idea to go down to the pool when it first opens in the early morning to "save" chairs by putting resort towels on them. (it's not!)

3) The staff at the pool, in the past, has gone around from time to time to remove orphan towels from the chairs, thus freeing them up.
They however cannot be counted on to do this to the point where it solves the problem. It's just not practical from a logistics standpoint to get it perfectly right.

4) The chair savers will be mad that the chair they were saving since 8 am is now occupied by someone who is actually using it in the afternoon when they come back to FINALLY use the pool. The person sitting in the chair will have no idea why the chair saver is snorting around the pool in (un) righteous indignation.

So there you have it. A picture of what happens at MOST Disney Resort pools during the busy summer months. This is not just at Storm Along Bay....

Also keep in mind that the Pool is so large that it will in all likelihood never seem crowded so that is almost never a problem.

OK, so what do we do to live with this situation? Well when you come to the pool in the afternoon, if you see a sea of empty chairs with towels on them here's what I would do.

I'd keep my peepers open and see if I could find an empty chair. If I don't see any then I would pick a chair that looks unattended and observe it for awhile. Making sure that the only thing on the chair is hotel property as opposed to personal property I would take the chair and.... here's the key.... MOVE it to a different location. That's right... I just advocated relocating an UNATTENDED chair to a different pool location. This way if the chair hog came back hours later and you were still sitting in the chair, well, you wouldn't be sitting where Piggy remembered hogging the chair hours ago before they left for the parks.... right??

This is an excellent time to remind people NEVER to leave valuables unattended at the pool. If you must take your phone or other devices to the pool there are lockers over at the raft rental desk in the center of the pool complex. You can find this area directly across from where the Volleyball rope is located. Keep in mind these outdoor lockers are in POOR condition and many of them are stuck and non functional. An insider's tip is to use the lockers located inside the fitness center for storing valuables while at the pool. This area is a short walk outside of the pool near the Beaches and Cream area.

So there you have the end of the story. It's a wonder Ninja Mom is not in jail but she is hiding in plain sight on a pool chair at Storm Along Bay so the 'Coppers' will never catch up with her.

~NM
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #1843
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We're back from our non-Disney road trip to Florida and still catching up! Thanks to Dee for the "cliff notes" version of what I missed while I was away!

The moment I received the mousemisers e-mail about the summer discounts, I did a little cheer for Robyn, Dee and all the summer BC/YC fans! My husband asked what I was so happy about and I told him discounts for Dee, CL for Robyn and savings for many friends on the thread! Yay!!! I'd just love for DL to cut us a little break on our August GCH rates, but I fear that's not as likely as a good BC discount!

A little OT, but it's about the beach! We really enjoyed Vero. I love the beach generally, and definitely prefer the West coast and the Pacific, but I think Vero is now my favorite beach in Florida. But we love to boogie board, so waves are a big plus for us (even though they are tiny compared to the west coast - some waves are better than none!) So for those who are looking for a few waves, Vero is a bit of a drive, but great for some post-Disney beach time!

A few non-Disney Vero Beach photos to share:

Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #1844
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post

Also keep in mind that the Pool is so large that it will in all likelihood never seem crowded so that is almost never a problem.

~NM
Just wanted to add to this! We've stayed at BC in summer, fall, winter and spring. We've also stayed in many other Disney resorts (see below.) In all of these seasons and compared to all the other resort pools we've enjoyed, I have never felt SAB was too crowded (except maybe when 2/3 of the pool was closed during spring break last year, but that's a big exception.) I've always been able to find a chair. Maybe not five chairs in a row in the exact spot we'd like, but we can always find a chair for our home base. My other favorite resorts are Poly and BWI, and we'll continue to stay at both, but those pools always feel more crowded than SAB.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #1845
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Pixarmom: You beach photos are absolutely breathtaking. Ahhhh.....

Ninjamom: Love all the advice about the pool chair!! LOL!! We noticed the towels 'holding' the chairs at the Polynesian too. Annoying!!

41 more days for us!! So excited!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: