DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Ragnrok23
DIS Veteran

Membership card for wife

I was about to add my wife as an associate member today when I read they don't get a membership card. Because my mom actually owns the points, and just listed me as a co-owner- I can't just add her name to the contract.

The reason I'm asking this is because my wife wants to get a message on our upcoming trip, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to get a discount without a card and if I'm not there

1986-1991 Offsite,1999 Wilderness Lodge,2000-2001 Port Orleans, 2005 CBR, 2007 GF/Wonder, 2008 WL, 2009 OKW Christmas with godson for his first trip 2010 Kidani 2010 1st solo trip-Pop 2011 BLT 2012 GVC (pre wedding) 2013 AKL- Kidani,SSR
Ragnrok23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
I was about to add my wife as an associate member today when I read they don't get a membership card. Because my mom actually owns the points, and just listed me as a co-owner- I can't just add her name to the contract.

The reason I'm asking this is because my wife wants to get a message on our upcoming trip, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to get a discount without a card and if I'm not there
Not only do they not get a card, they don't get most benefits. The only benefits they get would fall into 2 cat. The same benefits as any guest staying on your points and the AP/PAP discount for the group specified. They might give the discount though, never hurts to ask. I bet she'd get it if you were there and showed your card. Enjoy your trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post
I'm a little confused. If your mom owns the points, how are you a "co-owner"? If the documents are in both of your names then you both own the points. It would then take both of you to add your wife's name to the contract (deed). Once that's done, your wife will have all the benefits of membership.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I'm a little confused. If your mom owns the points, how are you a "co-owner"? If the documents are in both of your names then you both own the points. It would then take both of you to add your wife's name to the contract (deed). Once that's done, your wife will have all the benefits of membership.
The deed would have to be redone, which is going to cost $$.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Irishmom23
DIS Veteran
Some Tag Fairies are IRISH themselves! :-D

Both my daughters were able to utilize my DVC membership discount at the spa at SSR last June and the previous January. I was there to present the card and also got a massage on one of those occasions. Neither one are members but I am. However, this was before the refiurbishment and name change. Not sure what the new policies will be.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Ragnrok23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover

I just meant she actually paid for them. She put my name on the contract when she bought it.

I don't plan on going to spa with her on our upcoming trip. I just was wondering if you could get cards for immediate family members living in the same household so I wouldn't have to be with her whenever a discount opportunity came up

1986-1991 Offsite,1999 Wilderness Lodge,2000-2001 Port Orleans, 2005 CBR, 2007 GF/Wonder, 2008 WL, 2009 OKW Christmas with godson for his first trip 2010 Kidani 2010 1st solo trip-Pop 2011 BLT 2012 GVC (pre wedding) 2013 AKL- Kidani,SSR
Ragnrok23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The cards are for the legal owners. The Associate gets nothing. I should know, I'm the Associate! And I expect NO discounts or benefits at all, if I'm by myself. I expect that DH and his card will have to be with me, even to pool hop. Of course, he's never not been with me, but if there were to come a time when I'm on my own, those are my expectations!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Lorien728
Mouseketeer

We recently reworked our contract before we went to closing to add my husband as joint ownder for this exact purpose. Without me there he would not have gotten the perks. Glad we caught that before we closed!

Lorien728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
The deed would have to be redone, which is going to cost $$.
It can be done for under $50 if one so desires.

By a mistake of a lawyer (should give him free advertising), my wife's name was omitted from our first contract and he would only correct if if we paid another full closing. So she was an associate on that contract. Interesting that when we bought our second contract, she was on that contract and also got a membership card for the first contract she was not an owner on.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It can be done for under $50 if one so desires.
By a mistake of a lawyer (should give him free advertising), my wife's name was omitted from our first contract and he would only correct if if we paid another full closing. So she was an associate on that contract. Interesting that when we bought our second contract, she was on that contract and also got a membership card for the first contract she was not an owner on.

Same use year, I presume.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post

Same use year, I presume.
Nope, April and August but same home resort, OKW.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
fitnessmouse
DIS Veteran

My husband is only an associate, i'm the sole owner And he has a membership card. I guess they must have made a mistake, because I have 2 cards

Walt Disney World - Florida 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012
Disneyland Resort California - 2002, 2011
DCL - 2009 (Wonder~ Bahama's), 2010 (Magic~Mediteranean), 2011 (Wonder ~ LA to Vancouver), 2013 (Dream~Bahama's), 2014 (Magic~Mediteranean)
Disneyland Paris - 2x per year

fitnessmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

On ours, only the owners get a membership card. The spouse did not get a membership card. We have 3 owners, myself, my DH and my DD.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Nope, April and August but same home resort, OKW.
If you have different use years, you've got different master contracts. The membership card that your spouse got was for the joint contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessmouse View Post
My husband is only an associate, i'm the sole owner And he has a membership card. I guess they must have made a mistake, because I have 2 cards
Does his card have his name on it? Or are they both in your name?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Things may have changed, but a few years ago I traveled with friends and they were able to get the member discount on the massage and on diving in the Living Seas, even though I was not personally involved in those activities. But I was in their traveling party, and their room keys did say *DVC Member*.

It never hurts to explain to the person providing the service that you are traveling with a DVC Member and staying on their points, but that is assuming that the room key (or wrist band when they go to that) would indicate DVC Member in some way.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: