Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Enjoying your trip so far, hope you continue on.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #32
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Too bad your guys are party poopers. I am not one for organized tours, but I also don't care for the locals being pushy.

That light is amazing! Thank you for the upholstery. I really enjoy seeing that sort of thing.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying reading along! Well, not really enjoying hearing about your MIL and her continued shenanigans.

I just typed out a long paragraph that illustrates how strongly I can relate to that issue, but it really REALLY would bring this thread down. Maybe that' why I'm so quiet about this topic. So maybe at a more appropriate time I'll share, but just understand that I completely get it.

I'm living vicariously through you on your cruise. Did I mention that I canceled ours? I couldn't justify the cost, especially when it didn't include airfare, tips, excursions, a hotel room the night before, transfers, etc. We can go to Mexico, stay in a hotel for 8 nights, with airfare and all meals and drinks included, and even adding on tips and excursions it will be half of what the cruise would have cost. The cruise will be cheaper at a different time of year, so we can do it one day. But for the time I wanted (my birthday) this is just a cheaper option, especially since I was/am really worried about seasickness.

We are staying at POR in two weeks, just for one night, in a Royal Room (surprise for the kids). Any tips or suggestions? We really won't be there much, but we have the option of driving or taking the bus to the parks (Epcot and MK). Do you recommend one over the other?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Here are some non-story-line pictures of the ship that Robert took.

I can't help it...that chandelier is so beautiful. I need to see it in person.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
I'm enjoying reading along! Well, not really enjoying hearing about your MIL and her continued shenanigans.

I just typed out a long paragraph that illustrates how strongly I can relate to that issue, but it really REALLY would bring this thread down. Maybe that' why I'm so quiet about this topic. So maybe at a more appropriate time I'll share, but just understand that I completely get it.

I'm living vicariously through you on your cruise. Did I mention that I canceled ours? I couldn't justify the cost, especially when it didn't include airfare, tips, excursions, a hotel room the night before, transfers, etc. We can go to Mexico, stay in a hotel for 8 nights, with airfare and all meals and drinks included, and even adding on tips and excursions it will be half of what the cruise would have cost. The cruise will be cheaper at a different time of year, so we can do it one day. But for the time I wanted (my birthday) this is just a cheaper option, especially since I was/am really worried about seasickness.

We are staying at POR in two weeks, just for one night, in a Royal Room (surprise for the kids). Any tips or suggestions? We really won't be there much, but we have the option of driving or taking the bus to the parks (Epcot and MK). Do you recommend one over the other?
Aw, major hugs for canceling your cruise! It IS a lot of money, though. So are you going to Mexico for your birthday, or was that just an example of what you could do with the money?

The royal room was very pretty; check out the wallpaper borders up near the ceiling, especially the ones in the bathroom. And look at the sink fixtures as well. And be CAREFUL walking over the blue "marble" thing that separates the vanity from the bedroom.

I was just about to give you thoughts on the food court, but I am unqualified to do that, I've just remembered. It's really nice in the seating area, though, if you do manage to find something to eat! And POFQ is a lovely walk away, if they have anything suitable diet-wise.

The main pool is pretty great, but the quiet pool near Parterre and Oak Manor was gorgeous and looked like that old Ban du'Soleil ad with the woman swimming.

If where your room is is important to you, even for the one day, check out the official POR thread on the Resorts forum. There's a guy (I assume) there that can hook you up with fax number to the assignment team.

I'm really sorry you get the issues with MIL. If you want to post about it, post. Maybe we can just tell people to "skip this series of posts!" if we're going to chat about it. I know I thought about erasing most of my response to Michele, because I went on such a rant about it. I was all embarrassed. MIL still hasn't actually told us that she's driving. Nor has she asked for money, however. Which is good, because she raised children who will have strings attached to money (just like she did to them), and one of those strings is "you are not to drive when you have 1/4 of your vision gone and the potential for further strokes is high". Call us crazy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Too bad your guys are party poopers. I am not one for organized tours, but I also don't care for the locals being pushy.
We've talked about the party-pooper thing since then, and I think I needed to communicate more (I was trying to be all "tah dah, surprise!" about it, which was a big mistake in retrospect). But nothing was going to solve the issue of Eamon simply not having had experiences in towns like Nassau before, other than having experiences in towns like Nassau. But on the other hand, there *have* been incidents like muggings there, especially with ship tourists, so it's not like there was NO danger. And with Robert as injured and slow as he was I know he didn't feel as capable as he normally does.

I looked through his pictures, and discovered that we did see a few things. We just didn't realize it at the time. Welcome to my world of oblivious-sightseeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Enjoying your trip so far, hope you continue on.
I will! I got Robert's pictures on photobucket, but since I switched to the NEW website (aka "beta") it doesn't have all the features I liked. Like being able to put them in time order or alphabetical order. Or any order. Which is becoming an enormous headache, quite literally, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
I can't help it...that chandelier is so beautiful. I need to see it in person.
It is pretty. Going back to my "oblivious sightseeing" comment about myself, though...I didn't actually appreciate it until I saw it in the pictures. How do I do that?

Well, I'll just go back to "a 3 night cruise just isn't enough time". Rush rush rush.

I have a nasty nasty cold, which I do not recommend. If anyone ever saw the Third Rock From The Sun episode where the aliens catch their first colds and are absolutely mystified and horrified by the whole thing, that's how I feel. I feel like it's my first cold ever, and it's all horrendous. Tried to get Robert to stay home from work today to take care of me (I'm such a stereotypical *male* when it comes to being ill), but he had a language thing to go to, to give him and his coworkers some useful phrases and a background in Cyrillic streetsigns for their next series of trips. He didn't want to miss that.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-04-2013 at 04:47 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Let's see if that picture of me works now.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #37
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly you look wonderful!!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Aw, thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #39
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

What a great photo!! You look fantastic!

And yes, Mexico instead of the cruise. Not my "Dream Trip" but still will be fun, and a nice change from Disneyland where I will be overthinking every dollar we spend. We will be staying in an all-inclusive, so I don't have to give any thought to paying for food!

Thank you for the tips on POR. I'm looking forward to trying it!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #40
MKRuns 26
Mouseketeer

Liking the trip report, good job. As for the picture of the submarine tower in the ground at Port Canaveral, the Navy has a sub testing base at Port Canaveral. On my last cruise there were two subs docked as we were going out of the port to sea.
Disney Magic- X 4

WDW- More times then I can count
DL- Soon
MKRuns 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #41
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Let's see if that picture of me works now.

You look great! And totally different from the first picture I saw of you with your then little boy.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #42
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRuns 26 View Post
Liking the trip report, good job. As for the picture of the submarine tower in the ground at Port Canaveral, the Navy has a sub testing base at Port Canaveral. On my last cruise there were two subs docked as we were going out of the port to sea.
Interesting, thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
What a great photo!! You look fantastic!

And yes, Mexico instead of the cruise. Not my "Dream Trip" but still will be fun, and a nice change from Disneyland where I will be overthinking every dollar we spend. We will be staying in an all-inclusive, so I don't have to give any thought to paying for food!

Thank you for the tips on POR. I'm looking forward to trying it!
Thanks! I'm glad you're getting to go somewhere great, though! And it's hard to do better than all inclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
You look great! And totally different from the first picture I saw of you with your then little boy.
Thanks! How little was the munchkin then? Speaking of him, he just had ANOTHER growth spurt. He walked into the living room after waking up, and I had to tilt my head up a bit more than usual. And he noticed he had to look *down* more than usual as I was sitting on our relatively low couch. We went straight to the wall-o-measurements and it was another quarter-inch or so.

I'm still in the process of putting the pictures in order, so do forgive this delay in the report. I should have waited until I got ALL pictures on the account. Silly moi.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #43
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, E is going to be tall! I noticed in the backpack picture how much he has grown.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Whew!

OK, that (renumbering pictures) involved way too much thinking for someone who spent all last night in a feverish delirium. Well there was no actual fever that we could detect, but delirious I was. I do that, when sick. Even when not horribly sick. Just one more touch of weirdness that makes me ME. At about 4am I said ENOUGH! and drugged myself with Alka Seltzer cold plus. Then I finally got some blissful sleep, though I guess I got pretty loopy as the coldplus hit. More fun than tossing and turning, though!

Robert got to work from home today, thank goodness, and he has taken E away for some errands and whatnot.

And now, as more bits and pieces of the trip come back to my blank mind, I think I am ready. Now I know that I had plans to just add pictures in to previous posts if I found more, but the more I think about it, the less I like that idea. Maybe I'll include links in those past posts to the future posts where I put the pictures?

(no one said it was a GOOD idea for me to post when ill)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #45
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ah yes, dinner

Animator's Palate, visited for the first time.

Since I had NO pictures of our first dining area, I was glad to remember that Robert had brought his camera. Even more glad when he got them to me. And now I'm even mostest glad to show them here.

A weird shot of me, but more importantly there's our assistant server Ludovic (from France) back behind me.

The important thing here is the knife. They sell those at the shops. You do not have to steal them from the dining room.

Robert and Eamon are both rather artistic, so they really loved this place and all the arty touches.

Since it said "with welcome Eamon" I have a feeling it was written by our French buddy. Odd grammar aside (and I have been known for some odd grammar!), it was neat, and E appreciated it.

Here's a horrid picture of the menu, but you can see the cuteness of it, even if you can't read the items on it.

Keen readers might notice that there's a Vegetarian section on that menu. And on that menu is a stir fry veggie dish. With oyster glaze. Which is not, so much, vegetarian. Leslie and Ludovic both steered me away from it. They don't know why something with oysters is on the "vegetarian" menu, and both said it IS oyster, not "a glaze FOR oysters that happens to be vegetarian".

But I'm reminded that I had the wild mushroom risotto after the tomato salad, and the guys tried the black truffle pasta pursiettes, and Robert had the black bean chipotle cakes which I believe I described earlier. He also had some other stuff, as did E.

Here's a view of the restaurant from afar, the support beams, and the chairs.

Beverage station.

You can see one of the BIG screens in the back of this shot. We loved watching Bruce the shark come swimming by there. I liked it especially b/c I could watch him swimming from big screen to big screen, because of how my chair was situated.

Not the most awesome shot of the kidlet, and he's being a bit rude what with his elbow on the table, but it shows you the not-so-ample serving size of the "pursiettes".

After dinner and after meeting back up with family, I have been able to remember what we did. My aunt went to bed with the 5 year old. Robert took Eamon and the boy-cousin to see Wreck it Ralph (10:30pm showing!). And I was able to wander the ship with my cousin and her hubby.

This is when we visited some shops (though I never got back to buy anything, boooo). We met jewelry designer Rebecca Hook, who was selling her stuff on the ship. She has some neat stuff. AT first I wasn't interested, but as I looked and looked some more, the little details popped out and I started liking it. But like I said, I never got back to do any actual shopping.

We visited some clubs just to look around, we found some appetizers sitting around near one of them (tasty dessert goodness for me, while my cousin found joy in jalapeno poppers), we roamed. We found the gallery and roamed some more. Finally we met back up with the movie-watchers and called it a night.

And THAT is how our first evening went.

By the way, who else LOVES that carpet? I don't even know that I noticed it until just now.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-10-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: