DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
melindaPR
Mouseketeer

Checking for availability question

I read on here about people "watching" resorts for availability prior to their booking window. I'm new to DVC, and I'm wondering how/if that's possible. For example, how can I--or can I--look at Christmas time 2013 (not yet within the 7 month booking window) in a non-home resort just to see and watch availability in order to gauge my chances? Thanks for the guidance!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

You can't see availability online until your booking window opens.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Muhlenberg
Clues! We want clues!
It's a small world after all It's a small world after all...
E / E
Tushy imprinting chair here

While you can't look at availability for your actual dates, you can look at dates 7 months out from now. You can do that as often as you like up til your booking window opens. That will give you a feel for how things book up at 7 months out ahead of time.

The caveat is, it's not accurate for busy times. While there may be availability 7 months out from now, which would be Sept. 25th, there's no guarantee that if you check in another few weeks that there would be availability 7 months out from then. And you can't really predict how it would book up for your actual dates.

Next dream unknown...

CR 6/97 6/00 8/06 1/07 CBR 8/07 CR 1/08 BWV 8/08 SSR 1/09 AKV-K 9/09
BLT 2/10 THV 8/10 BWV 1/11 AKV-K 4/12 OKW 12/12 SSR 12/13

Muhlenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
intertile
Mouseketeer

if you really want to know, you can simply call member services. They've told me in the past other resort availability even if I was ineligible to make a reservation.

intertile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertile View Post
if you really want to know, you can simply call member services. They've told me in the past other resort availability even if I was ineligible to make a reservation.
MS has not been looking at anything other than what a member is eligible to reserve for awhile now. You may find a rep that will still do that, but basically, if you can't see it yourself online MS won't do it either.

Some members have been able to look ahead since they own points at a resort even though they may want to use other points to make the actual reservation.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Technically the farthest out you can see is 7 months out plus 6 days. Since today is the 25th, and IF I wanted to book a reservation for Oct 1-7 I COULD go online today and see if October 1 had availability. However you could not book it unless you took sept 25-oct 1. And you wouldn't be able to see any days beyond the 1st. So you can basically view the rooms you want for a few days before you book.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaPR View Post
I read on here about people "watching" resorts for availability prior to their booking window. I'm new to DVC, and I'm wondering how/if that's possible. For example, how can I--or can I--look at Christmas time 2013 (not yet within the 7 month booking window) in a non-home resort just to see and watch availability in order to gauge my chances? Thanks for the guidance!
There used to be a thread that showed what weeks were already booked based on members attempts to book. That was closed when they opened things up for online booking. There is another thread (I would insert it here if I had it handy) that basically leverages other members.

For example, if you wanted to know what AKV looks like a year out, but your home resort is BLT...you simply ask, "Are there any 2 BR, Savannah views available from February 22 - March 1?"

Then someone who has AKV as a home resort would reply.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23

There used to be a thread that showed what weeks were already booked based on members attempts to book. That was closed when they opened things up for online booking. There is another thread (I would insert it here if I had it handy) that basically leverages other members.

For example, if you wanted to know what AKV looks like a year out, but your home resort is BLT...you simply ask, "Are there any 2 BR, Savannah views available from February 22 - March 1?"

Then someone who has AKV as a home resort would reply.
Just an FYI, that type of thread does not exist here on the DIS. We have asked that members not look up and post availability since it changes so often that u less someone is ready to book, it really is of very little use.?

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
melindaPR
Mouseketeer

Thx for clarifying!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
Just an FYI, that type of thread does not exist here on the DIS. We have asked that members not look up and post availability since it changes so often that u less someone is ready to book, it really is of very little use.?
Thanks for the heads up.

On the availability topic, it seems like there are more and more people being forced to split their stays between different resorts. I'm hoping in the future DVC finds a creative solution for that.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

On the availability topic, it seems like there are more and more people being forced to split their stays between different resorts. I'm hoping in the future DVC finds a creative solution for that.
There really isn't a solution for that on DVC's part; the solution is for guests to book their reservations in a timely manner. That 'forced split stay' really only happens when people wait too long to book.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: