Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalDana2 View Post
We are spending 9 nights 8/8-8/17 on a partial site. At this point we have 8 day non hoppers - 2 adults and 2 chores (may reduce it to 6). With trip insurance the total is $1890. I put $200 down and have accumulated $1600 in Disney Visa rewards over the last 3 years. My boys have gotten enough Disney gift cards to cover their spending money. We have 6 TS meals reserved and the rest will be a combo of campsite/CS/packed meals. My budget for food is ~$1000. I've reserved a golf cart from Kenny for ~$350 and budgeting $800 in travel expenses round trip from SE PA.

Every time I have a low $$ grocery week, I'm trying to pick up a GC. I figure that by August I'll have enough $$ between GC and added Visa rewards, I should be able to cover all of our park dining.

So total OOP is estimated at ~$1500 mainly for golf cart, groceries, and travel expenses.
Actually, to be accurate, it doesn't matter *how* you pay for it, it's *all* OOP. So your total is much higher than you stated. We, too, have Visa rewards that will cover some of ours, but I just counted that as cash.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
super_camper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Very easy As I said we are light eaters. Most days we split a breakfast about 10:00 (breakfast sandwich, cinnamon roll), eat a snack about 2:30pm, then about 4:00-5:00 we each have a CS. We have coffee in the MH in AM (sometimes (not always) we eat a granola bar), then if we are hungry when we get back at night we will have popcorn, chips & dip, etc. Some days, if something catches our fancy, we will have two separate snacks/desserts ea. but still don't usually reach $60. Two snacks/desserts at the parks are our limit though, as we are definitely stuffed.

We are not big on drinking soft drinks, so it's water all day. We have 3 ADR's for dinner during our stay, so on those days we eat less during the day, then always have dinner at 5pm (those days obviously go over $60, but they average out).

This in not an intentional $$ limit. We get what we want, but the last few trips, I have saved our receipts, and they have totaled in the ball park of $600-700 for food. We're definitely *not* penny pinching, this is just how we live.

We just sort of snack our way through the days instead of having scheduled big meals - that's just our Disney way!

Also, you mentioned a large breakfast at Trail's End. We seldom do large breakfasts, but if we do, it's late (more of a brunch) then *that* tends to be our large meal of the day. We never eat more than one large meal a day, even at home.
I gotta be doing something wrong here. We are not big eaters ourselves but when I look back at the prices we pay I just don't see how we could do it at Disney prices especially working in three ADR's. I'm always amazed when I look through the menus as see the prices charged.

A salad or sandwich and an iced tea for two at the wildnerness lodge quick service is $30 with taxes and tip. I don't recall any restaurant bill ever being less than $60 with taxes and tip (for a $$), at least not with entrees, you could order appetizers only for that in many places but we don't do that. On our last trip I got a bit of a surprise when we splurged on a bottle of San Pellegrino, I think it cost $6 or closer to $7.50 with taxes and tip.

Are you on a discount plan of some kind? Do you get discounts with annual passes?
super_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
jbrostek
DIS Veteran

I just did 2 weeks vacation and this round the group (3 campsites chose all disney.)

Campground 13 nights - 1083.26
10 Day park hopper - 399.98
Fuel round trip from VA - 650.00 (and stil have more then 3/4 tank in the bus)
2 overnight stays during travel - 68.00
Food cooked at camper - 160.00
Adult Beverages for camper - 100.00
Spending in parks (food, drinks, merchandise) 697.25

All total 3158.49.

Not bad for 2 weeks there with friends. We where 3 campsites and had planned to eat dinner in about 60% of the trip. If I had a guest with me it would have added to the in park spending and a ticket, but then I would hope it would not all be on my tab. This was just my spending, but I enjoy the trip with my friends every year and we usually do just a week at disney, I think I spent more when we split our time between the beach and disney and the more was the 100 a night or more for the beach campsite we enjoy.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse

Actually, to be accurate, it doesn't matter *how* you pay for it, it's *all* OOP. So your total is much higher than you stated. We, too, have Visa rewards that will cover some of ours, but I just counted that as cash.
You can count rewards as *cash* if you'd like, but I don't. As far as not counting the saved up GCs as OOP, I budget $X per week for groceries and only purchase a GC if the total is no higher than X including the GC. That way I'm not spending any more than I would have. It's only once every several weeks that I can do this, but over 6mo it adds up! So, by OOP I mean what I need to write a check for!

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
DentalDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom
Five nights (June 30-July 4) at a basic site (tent camping).
Two day tickets with water parks and more.
This will be paid for with My Disney Rewards.

We are driving down and planning to eat many meals at the campsite.

I don't have a firm number, but I'm ballparking about $600 oop.
We will be there during that time!! We are also going to be in a basic site in a pop-up. Who knows....we may be neighbors!

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
WECAMP2
Earning My Ears

WE have been going to the Fort for 8 years and I still do not know what is costs. I just ask my lovely wife if I can aford it and then ask when she and the son would like to go. I did ask one year and she said that I really didn,t want to know how much it costs. This works for me.

Next trip is March 15-24,2013
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #22
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECAMP2 View Post
WE have been going to the Fort for 8 years and I still do not know what is costs. I just ask my lovely wife if I can aford it and then ask when she and the son would like to go. I did ask one year and she said that I really didn,t want to know how much it costs. This works for me.

Next trip is March 15-24,2013
LOL! Sometimes I think I would be better off not knowing myself! LOL! I don't think my husband realizes how much I spend stocking the camper! But he keeps telling me that doesn't count because we would have to buy food at home anyway! LOL!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Just think of how much you would be spending if you stayed at a deluxe resort. Or even a moderate. Especially considering how many people you can fit in one campsite when you would have to get multiple rooms at a resort.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
DentalDana2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401
Just think of how much you would be spending if you stayed at a deluxe resort. Or even a moderate. Especially considering how many people you can fit in one campsite when you would have to get multiple rooms at a resort.
We have known for 3 years that our next WDW trip would be in August of 13, but didn't decide on FW until this past fall. Our original plan was to stay at POR for 8 nights. 9 nights in a partial at FW is ~$1200 less!

1982 - offsite
1992 - offsite
2000 - ASMo
2002 - CBR
2009 - ASSp
2013 - Fort Wilderness
2015 - BCV
DentalDana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
So..true! Our daughter and her family (4) will be joining me and my husband for a week. My sister and her family(4) are planning on staying at least the first night when she gets to Disney before she goes over to AOA with her daughters. So you end up saving everyone a little!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_camper View Post
I gotta be doing something wrong here. We are not big eaters ourselves but when I look back at the prices we pay I just don't see how we could do it at Disney prices especially working in three ADR's. I'm always amazed when I look through the menus as see the prices charged.

A salad or sandwich and an iced tea for two at the wildnerness lodge quick service is $30 with taxes and tip. I don't recall any restaurant bill ever being less than $60 with taxes and tip (for a $$), at least not with entrees, you could order appetizers only for that in many places but we don't do that. On our last trip I got a bit of a surprise when we splurged on a bottle of San Pellegrino, I think it cost $6 or closer to $7.50 with taxes and tip.

Are you on a discount plan of some kind? Do you get discounts with annual passes?
OK, I don't think you are really reading my posts

*None* of our CS are over $10-12 ea. On the days of our ADR's I did say we spend more than $60 (you used the daily amt. not me), but it all averages out because on the other days we never spend $30 ea. We never buy drinks (adult or otherwise) as we are mostly water drinkers. We drink juice in the mornings at home for breakfast, but not usually when we're away, just coffee before leaving the MH. So, a lot of my days are more like $20 with one snack. My spending amounts were fairly specific in my other post, but like I said, we don't look at it as *closely watching* what we eat - that's just how we eat.

No discount plans (I wish ) nor anything with the AP, except an occasional 10% at *very* few places.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
WDWCP96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse

Where did you find AP's for $399 each? We bought ours 10 months ago, and they were closer to $550 each. Our passes were paid for also, but I just broke the total down into 3 trips. You would have to break your cost into two trips, if that's what you are getting out of them.
We are DVC owners and they offered a special to us last year, if you bought your annual pass between October and December 31st they were $399 for a premium annual pass. So we bought ours then knowing we were going in November 2012, June/July 2013 and possibly again November 2013. So it was $399 a piece, mine, my DH, and our oldest. Our younger 2 still get in free.

Fall 1996-College Program,1997-1998-Seasonal Employee, April 1999-Off-site, July 2002-Off-site and Disney Cruise,May 2008-Off-site,May 2009-All-Star Movies,October 2010-DVC owners first stay at BLT, June 2011-Boardwalk Villas/Old Key WestNov. 2012-AKL/BLT, June/July 2013-Fort Wildernesss campground/VWL, June/July 2014-POP Century/Fort Wilderness Campground/POR-Royal Room
WDWCP96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWCP96 View Post
We are DVC owners and they offered a special to us last year, if you bought your annual pass between October and December 31st they were $399 for a premium annual pass. So we bought ours then knowing we were going in November 2012, June/July 2013 and possibly again November 2013. So it was $399 a piece, mine, my DH, and our oldest. Our younger 2 still get in free.
Gotcha! My DD bought those too. She's in BWV. I had forgotten about them, and was just thinking regular AP.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #29
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWCP96 View Post
We will be at the Fort during that time as well.

For us:

12 nights at the Fort: ~$1200 for premium site
Annual pass: cost us $399 each for 3 bought back in November and used for 8 days already
Food: still up in the air about this but thinking $1000
Gas: $1000 round trip

It is hard to tally up our total since we can't really factor in our passes seeing as they have already paid for themselves. I would say $4000 would be an estimate but that is not including food and campsite for drive to and from the Fort.
Maybe we'll bump into you sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalDana2 View Post
You can count rewards as *cash* if you'd like, but I don't. As far as not counting the saved up GCs as OOP, I budget $X per week for groceries and only purchase a GC if the total is no higher than X including the GC. That way I'm not spending any more than I would have. It's only once every several weeks that I can do this, but over 6mo it adds up! So, by OOP I mean what I need to write a check for!
I don't count them as cash either. I never paid for them so it's "free" as far as I'm concerned. lol. If I had to count that money, the Disney portion of our trip would be around $1,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
We will be there during that time!! We are also going to be in a basic site in a pop-up. Who knows....we may be neighbors!
I've only ever run into ONE dis-er on our trips! And I didn't even know it until after she left. (My hubby noticed the lime green mickey on the back of her scooter, and didn't say anything until after she was gone. He thought I knew. ) Will you be sporting any lime green? Musket Mickey's? Or other identifying trademarks?? If you do, I'll be sure to say Hello!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

I've only ever run into ONE dis-er on our trips! And I didn't even know it until after she left. (My hubby noticed the lime green mickey on the back of her scooter, and didn't say anything until after she was gone. He thought I knew. ) Will you be sporting any lime green? Musket Mickey's? Or other identifying trademarks?? If you do, I'll be sure to say Hello![/QUOTE]

We are hoping to have one of those Mickey lamp posts when we go. There will be six of us, all adults. You may see us zipping around on our bikes!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: