Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

You are a mess (in a good way), and I'm in! More please...
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; SSR & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2015:
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
You are a mess (in a good way), and I'm in! More please...
That's the truth LOL!
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom, Open Until 9 Part 1

Why does this program keep taking out all my apostrophes?? I don't have all day to keep putting them back in lol.

Well, at least we were getting somewhere now. We had three hours of magic left and there was nothing but a monorail ride to keep us from getting to it. J loves the monorail, maybe not quite as much as she loves the princesses or Mickey's Philharmagic, for reasons I'll explain shortly, but she does really enjoy it.

But she won't sit down on it.

It doesn't matter that we have the stroller right there or that there's no one else in the car. J wants to stand. More specifically, she wants to shimmy around the pole; this drove her father nuts when he was with us on our first trip. No doubt he was worried about her future career choices. Queen M and I are more relaxed than he is, so it doesn't bother us as long as she doesn't fall on other people or get too out of control with her dancing techniques.

Since our car was empty --sensible people were eating dinner -- we let her have some fun. It's a short ride on the Express anyway.

By the time we finally got to the MK for the second time, with actual tickets in hand, we were ready to join the sensible people for dinner. We didnt make many ADRs for this trip, so we headed to Caseys. Which was also where most of the sensible people were also having dinner.

Casey's is always, in my experience, a madhouse. The first time I went with J and her parents, it was so nuts in there that I took J outside and over to watch the castle show, Celebrate a Dream. Queen M was buying the hot dogs and her DH was milling around somewhere out of my range of vision, so I just told M where I was going and not him. You can imagine what a mistake that was. You'd have thought I had a jet plane hidden somewhere and was planning to skip the country with her. You would never know I watch this kid two days a week and have never once disappeared with her in the last five years.

Casey's was just as bad tonight, but we waited it out, got a little table inside where no one ever seems to look for a seat and enjoyed eating in relative peace and quiet. We were actually getting our money's worth just out of being there.

We saw a little bit of the last Celebrate show; we never seem to see the whole thing from the start. But that was just a stop on the way to our real destination, new Fantasyland. Because it was Super Bowl Sunday, we expected the place to be deserted. That's also what Josh at Easy WDW seemed to expect.

We were all rather surprised.

It wasn't crazy mobbed, but it wasn't empty, either. We checked out Belle's little country place, but the line was 60 minutes long, and we really planned on doing it first thing on a MK day anyway. So we bagged new Fantasyland without even checking out Ariel's new digs and went to one of J's favorites, Mickey's Philharmagic.

J Rocks the Opera Glasses!

She loves the show, but what really pulls her in over and over again is the loot she gets during each show. In the form of jewels. If you sit in the front row, J has found, Ariel will toss out fake plastic jewels during her big scene that land all over your head, your seat and the floor.

It's easiest to do this in the front row because there aren't as many people sitting around you who might not appreciate fake plastic jewels raining down on their head during the show. If anyone sits around us with little kids old enough not to pick up said jewels and choke on them, we usually quietly let them in on the secret beforehand, so they know where the jewels came from. But this time, we didnt have time to let the dad next to me in on the secret before the show, because they slid in next to us at the last minute.

At the right moment in the show, Queen M let loose with the loot. J enjoyed the jewels as always, but the dad next to me is what really cracked me up. His daughter was just dumbfounded by this largess from Ariel. She kept crawling around on the floor, looking for more jewels and holding them up right in front of her dads face so he could admire them. We don't want to spell it out after the show, because we don't want J to hear us, so we were trying to tell him, in code, where they came from.

"This doesn't happen every time," I cautioned him. "Ariel only throws out jewels every once in a while. It's very special magic."

I could see this guy trying to take this in while J danced around contradicting me.

"Ariel always gives me jewels, it's always magic in the front row," she told the other little girl while they admired each others haul.

"No, not really, J, you've just been lucky," I said, trying to get the message across that this just wasn't happening without a little parental input.

He just nodded and picked up his daughter, still chattering away and trying to twist around to see if she'd missed any jewels on the floor. No chance. J never misses a jewel.

So if you're out there, sir, I can tell you plainly now; we throw the jewels when Ariel does her 3D throwing thing. It's easy to do when the kids are raptly focusing on the screen. And if you were sitting anywhere else around us and also wondered why jewels were raining on your head and admiring Disney's special effects, I'm sorry to disillusion you.

Try it sometime; there's nothing quite as magical as making magic for someone else.

Next chapter

Photobucket has decided it's too tired to resize photos right now, so i'll try and put them in later.

Last edited by appleorchard; 03-28-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard

Wasn't the weather great? Unless you wanted to swim, of course--then it was not so great.
Loved the weather! We got out and swam twice while there. I would have rather the pools been warmer but my kiddos insisted!
sommergirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #36
dragonflydoll2
Earning My Ears

Great trip so far, your J sounds so much like my DD on her first trips to Disney, hillarious!
May 2009 - Polynesian
May 2010 - Disneyland Sheraton Anaheim
March 2011 Shades of Green/Spring Break
November 2011 Shades of Green/DD Bday trip!

DH Me DD

dragonflydoll2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommergirl25 View Post
Loved the weather! We got out and swam twice while there. I would have rather the pools been warmer but my kiddos insisted!
J and her mom went swimming twice, too. I put a suit on, went about two feet into the pool and came right back out. It was ridiculously cold! Of course, the sun always goes in whenever I go down to the pool, so I didn't expect much. Our next trip's in October, so should be plenty of swimming. Our last one was in August--that was TOO much swimming because it was so darn hot.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydoll2 View Post
Great trip so far, your J sounds so much like my DD on her first trips to Disney, hillarious!
She's a very funny kid, but also very sweet-- usually. I see SoG in your signature-next year we'll stay there at least once. We don't own enough DVC points to finance all these trips! And Shades is so convenient to the Polynesian and the monorail.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
Enchantress01
Prince Charming likes my shoes!

OMG! You rock! I love, love, love your TR; your writing style is hilarious.

You are an amazing Grandma. I wish my grandcuties lived closer to me and I can't wait to watch them discover Disney for the first time. So, I'm living vicariously through you for now.

So sorry about your first Guest Relations fiasco, but I'm so glad it worked out and you could get out of there and have some fun.

Can't wait to hear more!

DHMe DS(w/DIL and Grandcutie #1 , Grandcutie #2 ) DS DSGF DD
Enchantress01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

We love our adult trips, but there's nothing like going with grandkids. They're just so darn amusing! glad you're enjoying it and hope you learn a lesson from our disaster down the road and do better than we did!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
For whatever reason, they don't survive the trip from Word to the DIS, so I'm having to go back through and put them all back in.
It's started doing that to me, too. I could swear it didn't do it when I first started my Pre-Trip Report (that became a trip report on earlier trips).

Your TR got me laughing so hard, my two older daughters in the next room demanded an explanation.

Little do my kids realize that the real reason I'm looking forward to them getting married and having grandkids is Disney trips. Taking my kids when they were little was not an option, so I'm taking the grandkids whether the kids want to go or not.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
stinksmom
Friends are the family you choose....

Loving your trip report! Can't wait to read more!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #43
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom, Really Open Until 11

I actually lied just a little bit here before. One of the main reasons we bought YES tickets for 6 days was because the MK had extra magic hours on Sunday, our first night. So we actually could potentially have 5 hours of fun, although we weren’t really sure any of us would last that late.

I hope the ticket guy at the TTC will forgive me for trying to make it sound like we were only going to have three hours of fun instead of five. Not that he cared, anyway. Did I tell you we saw him leave the booth as soon as we walked away and pull a flask out of his pocket? No, not really, but I’m sure he felt like it.

We listened to the eternally singing dolls for a while – it seems longer than it really is, I’m pretty sure – and then went for the big thrills over on the Barnstormer once or twice. Amazingly, we’d been in the park for several hours and J hadn’t once asked to see a princess, not even when we’d asked her on the way in as we past the Town Square princesses, now all in one location for your viewing pleasure.

You see, the princesses have been kicked to the curb, just a little bit, because of J’s new love – Minnie. We have no idea why Minnie shot up to the top of the popularity chart without any discernible reason, but there she is. J didn’t even want to bring her princess dresses – although M packed them anyway – but she did get a new Minnie dress for the trip and was jonesing to wear it.

I knew Minnie and Daisy have been relegated to the Storybook circus area somewhere, so when we asked J if she was up for seeing them, we got a very enthusiastic “yes.” But keeping our promise wasn’t all that easy. The “tent” where the girls and Goofy hang out was a little hard to find in the dark, kind of off to one side and lonely looking. In fact, I don’t think there was more than one other family there when we went in.

[IMG][/IMG]

Daisy was first and I was glad J didn’t diss her to get to her main woman Minnie. Both were dressed adorably and had great backdrops—I highly recommend seeing them both.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then it was time for an adventure on Dumbo. This was actually the first time in three trips that J ever went on Dumbo. Shocking, I know, but our last two trips were all about princesses, not iconic flying elephants.

[IMG][/IMG]

We just thought we were going to see an elephant fly

And what a short ride it was. M sat with J while I sat a few elephants away. We rose into the air, jerked to a stop and came right back down to earth again.

“Please exit through the gate immediately,” a disembodied voice directed.

I looked up at the sky to see if it was the second coming. Nope.

Dumbo wasn’t that crowded, so our little group of confused people asked if we could get back in line and why we had to get off. In typical Disney style, no one explained nuthin’.

“You have to go to the other Dumbo. This one is closed,” the sweet but somewhat ticked-off looking CM said.

What we finally figured out was that some person had tried to stand up, an action that brings things to a complete halt for a period of time, because the ride has to be reset. This information came in handy a few days later on Aladdin.

With our maiden voyage cut short – extremely short – on Dumbo I, we timidly tried Dumbo II. This turned out to be a great experience. It was so empty in Storybook land that we were able to stay on Dumbo time and time again – all the way through Wishes, in fact. There’s something excessively magical about riding Dumbo during the fireworks, but I kept wishing I could actually hear the Wishes music instead of the blaring noises of Storybook land. It would have been a nice added touch.

We exited Dumbo all starry-eyed and made our way back to plain old Fantasyland. I’m sure we stopped somewhere for popcorn – J is completely addicted to Disney popcorn. Going to Disney with J and M is like one step forward, two steps back for a commando like me. We just get our momentum up and it’s time for popcorn, or ice cream, or a potty break, or a smoke break. This isn’t how I normally roll at Disney, so it’s hard for me not to get impatient sometimes. I’m learning to slow down and smell the popcorn more.

We took a spin on Winnie’s fun psychedelic little trip through the wood and then watched part of the light show on the castle. All week long, they showed this twice, unannounced and with seemingly no rhyme or reason, so that we were never in the right place, except for once, to really see it. Personally, I prefer the original version of this. Your mileage may vary.

We didn’t make it to 11; by a little before 10, we were ready to wrap up our first day. It had been a great day, and we still had the Electrical Boat parade to look forward to around 10:15. J was psyched! She loved the boat show! She couldn’t wait! She…

Was asleep. Before we barely got on the walking path—wonderful walking path!—home. We thought she might wake up – we tried to wake her up—but she was OUT. M and I watched it, swearing to each other not to tell her we’d seen it. Then we unpacked our suitcases, strewing clothing around J, who was passed out on the bed, while we worked.

I should have taken a closer look at J’s wardrobe then, because I would have noticed that my DD had packed enough shorts, sandals and sleeveless shirts to outfit the Small World dolls but not a single pair of pants besides the pair J had on. We were going to have to go shopping!

Next chapter

Last edited by appleorchard; 03-28-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #44
teentoddlermom
DIS Veteran

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
Thanks all! This was not the crying trip to Guest Relations, BTW. The person who really wanted to cry was the poor guy behind the counter. He was being completely obnoxious, but I could tell he was also incredibly frustrated. I'm not sure why Disney offers this program and then makes it so hard to get the tickets!
Disney Disney why are you doing this to us!! Stuff like this never used to happen!! WWWD? I had never encountered even one rude cast member before our trip in 2010. Since then it is more and more every trip! What has happened to Disney legendary customer relations? :
:

October 1974, May and November 1985, August 1992, Offsite, August 1998 CSR, August 2003 GF Sugarloaf, August 2004 YC CL, August and November 2005 BWI CL and ASMu, August 2006 AKL, August 2007 WL, February 2008 YC, August 2008 [COLOR="red"]POP[/COLOR], July 2009 GF, Feb 2010 BC CL Feb 2011 BWI, Aug 2011 POP, Feb 2012 PORS, Aug 2012 PORS, April 2013 AoA and PORS, July 2013 ASSp, August 2013 DLH, Dec 2013 CBR, Feb 2014 PORS, July 2014 AKL August 2014, ASSp Nov 2014 POFQ, The teen is now in Law school, the toddler is in High school, but my username remains the same! (and I haven't aged)
teentoddlermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #45
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teentoddlermom View Post
Disney Disney why are you doing this to us!! Stuff like this never used to happen!! WWWD? I had never encountered even one rude cast member before our trip in 2010. Since then it is more and more every trip! What has happened to Disney legendary customer relations? :
:
I know-- it takes me aback sometimes. I never expect it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: