Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Flying SWA. 35 minutes to change planes in BWI?

I'm looking at airfare for a trip in August ISP-MCO. The nonstop flights are $140 on the way down. I can book a flight that changes at BWI for $120 and save us $100. It arrives at BWI at 740 and departs at 815. On the way home it's 40 minutes and we'd save $90 per ticket. Is that enough time?

I'm hoping I can book the flights that have a stop and rebook for the nonstop if the price drops.

Last edited by msjprincess; 02-25-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: more info
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
I'm looking at airfare for a trip in August ISP-MCO. The nonstop flights are $140 on the way down. I can book a flight that changes at BWI for $120 and save us $100. It arrives at BWI at 740 and departs at 815. On the way home it's 40 minutes and we'd save $90 per ticket. Is that enough time?

I'm hoping I can book the flights that have a stop and rebook for the nonstop if the price drops.
I wouldn't risk it. You might want to research the sequestration and how it will impact the airlines before deciding.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

What airline and is there another flight after that one?
Also have you looked to see what the on-line record is for the flights?
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPony View Post
What airline and is there another flight after that one?
Also have you looked to see what the on-line record is for the flights?
Oops, I meant to add that. It's on Southwest, there is a connecting AirTran flight an hour later. the flights say 100% ontime performance.

Round trip it saves us $550. I can buy a lot of Grey Goose slushes with that money.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
PrincesCJM
DIS Veteran

I don't feel like it's enough time. Also need to consider who you are traveling with, will they need a bathroom break between planes, will the planes arrive/depart from the same terminal, etc. I wouldn't risk it. I like to have a minimum of 50 minutes for layovers because of the above reasons.
Two trips as a child 5/04 - Offsite 8/07 - Offsite/ASSp. DH's first trip. 8/09 - POFQ for honeymoon. 4/11 - Pop Century for our 3rd trip together! 7/11 - Offsite for STS-135 Launch seen from KSCVC 7/13 - Pop Century. DS's first trip! 4/2015 - ASMo

PrincesCJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
wantogonow
Earning My Ears

we did it last September as first time flyers. Our travel party consisted of 2 adults and dd 6 and dd 4, we were even able to have a bathroom break before making our connection . I do not know what airline you are flying but we were on airtran and the gates were right next to each other. BWI is not a very large airport, so when it comes time to get our tickets for september this year I would not hesitate if we again have a close connections.
wantogonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Not sure if this is still true, but when we connected thru BWI in December, they had some construction going on. We had to be re-screened by security before we could get to our next gate. And we flew Air Tran (soon to be SouthWest).

35 minutes is extremely tight at any airport. Leaves no room for any kind of delay.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

As long as they are on the same airline you'll make it in plenty of time. BWI is pretty small. Take a look at the map here. As long as your arriving and departing flights are on the same concourse its no problem. Southwest uses Gates A and B, which are on the same concourse.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
MEK
DIS Veteran

I fly out of BWI a lot and all the SWA flights are in the same terminal and its not the big. In addition, there are a lot of SWA flights leaving and flying in from MCO all day long. BWI is a big SWA hub.

Look at SWA MCO flights out of BWI on the day you are traveling.

I would, unlike the other posters, book it to save that kind of money. I have found BWI to run very smoothly and its rare to have a flight take off late or land late unless there is weather involved. And when there is weather involved it won't matter if your layover time is longer.

Good luck with your decision!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I fly out of BWI a lot and all the SWA flights are in the same terminal and its not the big. In addition, there are a lot of SWA flights leaving and flying in from MCO all day long. BWI is a big SWA hub.

Look at SWA MCO flights out of BWI on the day you are traveling.

I would, unlike the other posters, book it to save that kind of money. I have found BWI to run very smoothly and its rare to have a flight take off late or land late unless there is weather involved. And when there is weather involved it won't matter if your layover time is longer.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks. I just checked and there are around 20 flights leaving that day after we are scheduled to arrive. I'm going to go ahead and book it.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer

We just flew through BWI and had an hour layover. The airport is fairly small and we left out of a gate that was 2 gates over from the one we arrived in. I don't think you will have trouble at all.
sommergirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
smitch425
DIS Veteran

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...0da_story.html

Thought this might be worth a read to anyone flying between mid April and the end of September.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Just be aware if something comes up and you miss your scheduled flight, it could be a while before there is room on another one. And that there is no guarantee your party would be able to fly together. You may have to split up to get where you are going.

Not trying to be a total Debbie Downer, but I've rarely been on a flight with open seating. Hopefully everything will work out, and you will be on your way, with extra $$$.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post

Two other points I would note.

One, on the plus side, SWA is better than most airlines about holding connecting flights when they know incoming passengers are on their way but may be late.

Two, on the minus side, even if your flight is on time you likely will arrive after boarding already has started and may not get on your connecting flight until late in the process. With SWA's open seating, that can make it tough for families to find seats all together or, in some cases, even pairs of seats.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Last edited by Jestocost; 02-25-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Jestocost;47621822]Two other points I would note.

One, on the plus side, SWA is better than most airlines about holding connecting flights when they know incoming passengers are on their way but may be late.

Two, on the minus side, even if your flight is on time you likely will arrive after boarding already has started and may not get on your connecting flight until late in the process. With SWA's open seating, that can make it tough for families to find seats all together or, in some cases, even pairs seats.[/QUOTE]

Bolded mine. That is the point I was going to come on here and make. SW typically begins boarding 20 minutes or so before departure. Even if you have A passes, they could be on C by the time you get to the gate. Again, you may be okay. Just something to consider.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: