Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
callieriggs
Earning My Ears

Which Moderate Resort??

So we are looking into an extended family vacation over the Thanksgiving break. It can be difficult to get three different families to settle on a place to stay. Our family usually camps! But some of the others going prefer a more luxurious stay. We figure the moderates will please everyone. Do you recommend one over the other? Initially my sister in law said she thought the caribbean beach resort would be her first choice because it has the best pool. I think we have ruled out Cornado springs but need more opinions about the French Quarter resorts and the Beach resort. There will be 10 of us in 3 rooms with kids ages 4, 7, 7, and 9. Thanks for your help!
callieriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

really think CSR has the best pool

why is it that you eliminated it?

it is the only moderate with a gym and beauty salon

if still no then POFQ - it is the smallest - so easy to get around.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

Great start! We have rules CSR out for many years running now.

CBR is GREAT! We are headed back in August with 8 and 10 year old. Pool is fantastic and beach is beautiful. Old Port Royale is spacious and so well themed. They offer pirate rooms if that is of interest. The rooms are very slightly larger than other moderates. By then they should all have new queen beds as well.

POR is another favorite of ours. Feels just as large and spread out as CBR. Multiple bus stops. We like the mansions but prefer alligator bayou. Again great theming, good size food court. Pool is good but not as good as CBR.

POFQ is smallest of the three. Very intimate feel. We have really enjoyed it as the kids have gotten older. It is quieter and not nearly as hectic. The pool is seriously lacking here but you are welcome to use the pool at POR. The boat is a nice option (same as POR) for downtown disney. Rooms are very nice.

Now that you've ruled put CSR, in our opinion, you can't go wrong!!!

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
BigKid45
Mouseketeer

Just back from our first trip to POR...our first moderate resort. The resort is beautiful, boat to Downtown was great, theming was great. We were in Alligator Bayou building #15, but I walked the entire POR and POFQ and didn't find any rooms were "too far" from dining or bus stops for either resort. I could easily see satisfying the many different tastes in a family "group" at POR.....economical, elegant, convenient, etc. POR has my vote!

WDW-'72 & '73 Offsite, '05 & '06 Offsite, '08 WL-Club, '09 ASMu-FS, '10 Pop, '12 Windsor Hills, '13 POR
DL-Offsite every Oct 1974-1987 (Corp. Nites)
BigKid45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

We have stayed a POR, it was our first moderate resort. It is very pretty. The grounds are beautiful. The food court has a great create your own pasta station.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

In my opinion CSR is the best resort! We have stayed there multiple times and loved it! They have so many kid activities and the pool area is the best of all the mods is my eyes. Why have you ruled it out?

CBR is my least favorite resort! I hate the layout. Unless you pay for a preferred building be prepared to walk to the main pool and food court.

As for POR it's a beautiful resort. You even have the ability to take a boat to DTD from here and POFQ. POR is a huge resort thou. Bigger then CSR and CBR.

If you are looking for a resort that is more compact then POFQ is ideal. They share a bus with POR so know that once you are picked up you will then stop at POR to pick guests up there before you head to the parks.

Lastly, if you are hoping to take advantage of any discount Disney may offer during the time of your trip know that POFQ is usually not included in the deals and if it is the savings is usually minimal compared to the other mods.

Good luck choosing!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've stayed at all 4 Moderates, and CBR is by far my least favorite. It is just way too big. The fact that it is the only Moderate that has a bus dedicated to dropping guests off at different stops around the resort should tell you something about how huge it is.

Also keep in mind CBR is the only Moderate resort that still has double beds. Not queens. In addition, I found the food court to be lacking in choices. I didn't care for much of what they had, so I ended up eating chicken strips a few times.

I have to ask, why did you rule out CSR? If you are going for a resort with a more luxurious feel, that is the one that has it! The rooms have a more clean, higher end feeling decor than the rest. And the pool slide is the best out of all the Moderates.

Another bonus with CSR is that it is a convention resort, so the buses are not as packed as the ones at the other Moderate resorts.

If you won't take another look at CSR, I think you should go with POR. It has a really lush landscape, and is a great place to relax away from all the hubub at the parks. POR also has the best food court at WDW, imho. And one of the best gift shops.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
DisneyWonderful
Earning My Ears

I have stayed at three of the four moderates, all except CBR. We just returned two days ago from a stay at POR. We LOVED Coronado Springs and very much enjoyed French Quarter, but did not like POR. If your party likes both "rustic" and elegant, as you say, CSR is the perfect choice, in my opinion. There is a rustic-themed section of the resort, and a more elegant themed section. There is both a food court (though it's more upscale than the other moderates), and a lovely sit-down restaurant. The sit-down restaurant at POR is kind of like a Bob Evans restaurant, while the food court in the AM is total chaos. The grounds at CSR are just breathtaking from wherever you're standing because of that beautiful lake and the beautiful architecture and design of the main buildings. And the pool at CSR is incredible, with a long, long pool slide your kids would love. The grounds at POR are very pretty, but it is so overgrown you only see the river if you are right next to it. And we felt that the Mansion section buildings from the outside resemble a roadside motel from the 1970s. The boat ride to Downtown Disney from POR (and from French Quarter) is a wonderful treat, but the bus rides everywhere else were horrible during our stay -- long lines, always standing on the bus, waiting over 30 minutes for a bus to come to the resort. And I've only recently learned of the CSR "business class" option, which includes access to a lounge with light breakfast in the AM and snacks & drinks (including alcohol) in the evening. If we had known about that before our recent trip, that is where we would have tried to stay! I would stay at CSR again, and also at French Quarter, but never again at POR. This is just my experience. I know others stay there and love it.
DisneyWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Linda T.
DIS Veteran

We love CBR! The landscaping, colors, and theming is beautiful. There are white, sandy beaches with hammocks to lay on and friendly ducks to feed bread. The main pool is zero entry and wonderful for everyone. We like the options that the food court offers, and the gift shop is really nice. There is a small lake around CBR which my daughter and I like to walk around in the morning. It is beautiful and peaceful. Each village has a quiet pool if you don't feel like walking to the main pool that day. The rooms are a very nice size with lots of storage and two double sinks. The beds are full size. We have stayed in Martinique (when it wasn't preferred), and we have stayed in Jamaica. We prefer Jamaica. It is a short walk over the bridge to the main main pool and food court. There are several bus stops at CBR. It bothers some people but it is fine for my family. Good luck with your choice and have a great vacation.
May, 1979 - Offsite; June, 1995 - CBR; June, 1997 - CBR; June, 1999 - POR; July, 2001 - CBR; April, 2005 - Disneyland; July, 2005 - CBR; July, 2007 - CBR; July, 2010 - CBR; July 2011 - CBR; July, 2013 - CBR; Next Trip - Christmas, 2014 - BCV

Linda T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've only stayed at CBR and we loved it. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was great, the food court had plenty to choose from, and the transportation was great. I think the kids would love the pirate pool. Our boys were 7 & 9 when we stayed at CBR and they loved the pool (and it has been redone since our stay). My choice would be CBR. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

Just note: by the time you visit, the beds at CBR will all be switched out to Queen. POR has multiple bus stops, just like CBR. CBR is larger but doesn't feel like it when you're there.

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

In your case I would probably choose POR alligator bayou because you would have more bed configuration options.

I would eliminate CBR for the double bed factor (unless everybody really likes sleeping in close quarters).

For more a more "luxury" feel I would do POFQ because it is a compact, quieter resort. It has a nice pool. And beautiful grounds. But no sit-down restaurant.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmauch View Post
Just note: by the time you visit, the beds at CBR will all be switched out to Queen. POR has multiple bus stops, just like CBR. CBR is larger but doesn't feel like it when you're there.
Has anyone really confirmed that? I know rumors of a bedding switch out have been floating around for quite a while, but I haven't heard anyone say they have actually started changing the beds.

I have to disagree too with your statement that CBR doesn't seem larger than POR. It felt much larger to me! Look at it this way: If you get on at the first stop at POR you make 3 more stops before heading to the parks. If you get on at the first stop at CBR you make 6 more stops. Six! That is a big difference!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmauch View Post
Please post a link to the official announcement of this room refurb. I haven't seen one. The rumour of a bed switch has been floating for a couple of years now.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Please post a link to the official announcement of this room refurb. I haven't seen one. The rumour of a bed switch has been floating for a couple of years now.
When guest relations called me last year after some complaints I had emailed about (after visiting the front desk at the resort we were staying at), I was told by them that CBR was getting queen beds within the next year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: