Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Charge to Stateroom Only? No Cash or Gift Cards at All?

Just want to make sure I am telling everyone the right thing. Is the only way to purchase things on the ship by charging it to the stateroom? I have two nieces and a nephew that have been saving up their money for the cruise and my sister in law asked me if they want to go to the gift shop to buy something, does she have to give them her room key with charging privileges? I was pretty sure she would, but wanted to double check that they couldn't take their own money or Disney Gift Cards.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Just want to make sure I am telling everyone the right thing. Is the only way to purchase things on the ship by charging it to the stateroom? I have two nieces and a nephew that have been saving up their money for the cruise and my sister in law asked me if they want to go to the gift shop to buy something, does she have to give them her room key with charging privileges? I was pretty sure she would, but wanted to double check that they couldn't take their own money or Disney Gift Cards.
Yes, purchases on board are made with your KTTW card. I have read reports of gift cards being used by kids in the gift shops, but I have no experience with this.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
intertile
Mouseketeer

They accept room charge or credit cards....not sure of gift cards. They do not accept cash. You can give cash to guest services and have it applied to room card charge account.

intertile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran

The bill at the end will have each passenger's charges listed separately, so if the kids have charging privileges on their own cards you sister would know who charged what.

Only she would be able to know if her kids are responsible enough to have the charging privileges and stay within the limits. You can't limit the amount per child.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by intertile View Post
They accept room charge or credit cards....not sure of gift cards. They do not accept cash. You can give cash to guest services and have it applied to room card charge account.
So if they accept room charge or credit card, could the kids use those pre-paid Visa cards? I'm asking especially for my oldest niece. She is 17 and I know will want to be able to buy things on her own, but I don't think my sister will want to give her charging privileges. With a pre-paid Visa she could put her own money on it and will be more likely to keep track of it. And does anyone know for sure about Disney Gift Cards? Can you use those in the gift shops on board?

It's too bad you can't give kids a card with a limit.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
momma2
Mouseketeer

Recently on Magic, kids were able to use Disney gift cards onboard in gift shop.
momma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
BeeTeacher
Mouseketeer

The gift shops on board take disney gift cards. You would not want to add charging priveleges to the KTTW card for them as there would be no limit. Have them convert the cash to disney gift cards and they can buy just about anything--candy souvenirs, etc.

We are giving our kids gift cards as a "bon voyage" gift instead of a gift basket that way they can buy whatever they want. I bought the gift cards with the disney rewards.

1st Cruise 3 night DISNEY DREAM 2/2/12
Trip Report Our First Cruise
WDW: Too many times to count!

BeeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
So if they accept room charge or credit card, could the kids use those pre-paid Visa cards? I'm asking especially for my oldest niece. She is 17 and I know will want to be able to buy things on her own, but I don't think my sister will want to give her charging privileges. With a pre-paid Visa she could put her own money on it and will be more likely to keep track of it. And does anyone know for sure about Disney Gift Cards? Can you use those in the gift shops on board?

It's too bad you can't give kids a card with a limit.
I don't recall using our credit card in the gift shop onboard, even the Disney Visa; they accepted KTTW or Disney gift cards.
I believe the Dream and Fantasy can accept Disney gift cards at the gift shop, but not on the Magic or Wonder. (ETA: oops, guess that changed, PP mentioned gift cards used on the Magic recently.)
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTeacher View Post
The gift shops on board take disney gift cards. You would not want to add charging priveleges to the KTTW card for them as there would be no limit. Have them convert the cash to disney gift cards and they can buy just about anything--candy souvenirs, etc.

We are giving our kids gift cards as a "bon voyage" gift instead of a gift basket that way they can buy whatever they want. I bought the gift cards with the disney rewards.
Thanks so much, this is what I needed to know. We are going to WDW for a couple days before the cruise, so we will pick up gift cards for the kids while we are there.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks so much, this is what I needed to know. We are going to WDW for a couple days before the cruise, so we will pick up gift cards for the kids while we are there.
Credit cards cannot be used to pay for things on the ship. You can use your credit card to setup your KTTW card account, but the credit card itself cannot be used in the shops.

Also, people will say you can apply Gift cards to your account, but be careful. The Gift Cards will be used before the credit card is charged, so the Gift Cards would be used to pay for anything charged to the room, not just the kids' purchases. Probably the best idea is to buy them Gift Cards. If they can use them in the shops, great. If not, they can either be used on the room account, or given to Mom to offset the charges on the room account...

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
reimero
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure you can also set up each KTTW with a spending limit, if that helps.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

I remember hearing that you used to be able to set a limit on an individual KTTW card on cruises. I wonder why they stopped doing that? Seems like it made sense with so many kids cruising. My nieces are 13 and 17. Really don't want to give them charging privileges, but do want them to be able to buy something they want on their own with the money they saved...without having to get mom and her KTTW card. Hopefully the Disney gift cards will work.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
I'm pretty sure you can also set up each KTTW with a spending limit, if that helps.
Nope, not unless it's VERY new. If using cash they will set a limit and you need to go to Guest Services to settle the onboard account before it reaches that limit, but it's for the whole cabin not individual KTTW cards.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
nanaoften
Earning My Ears

Smile

Our TA told us that Disney Gift Cards are accepted in the gift shops. Each week when I purchase my groceries (at Publix...am sure they're available in other stores as well), I pick up a $25 gift card. Since we don't sail until September 15...gonna have a nice stack of them! Some family and friends are going to get some mighty nice gifts...and the charge card won't be melted!!
nanaoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaoften
Our TA told us that Disney Gift Cards are accepted in the gift shops. Each week when I purchase my groceries (at Publix...am sure they're available in other stores as well), I pick up a $25 gift card. Since we don't sail until September 15...gonna have a nice stack of them! Some family and friends are going to get some mighty nice gifts...and the charge card won't be melted!!
You can apply those directly to your account onboard at guest services. Then you can just swipe you KTTW instead of having to carry around a stack of gift cards the whole cruise.

Last edited by Meghatron; 02-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: