Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
Are the news stations covering it? I feel like every time we almost hit a fiscal cliff the news stations were all "countdown to gov't shutdown" but I personally haven't seen much media this time around. I'm outside of the US now so maybe that's why, but I just don't see anyone talking about it, when it seems to be much more likely to go through versus the previous "shutdowns."
It's ramping up a bit here but not so much on the news. This actually won't be a typical "shutdown" which is probably why it's not getting much press. The government offices will be open 5 days a week, there will just be less staff manning the office.

It won't really hit the news until the general population gets affected.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
Am also worried about VA services,
It's my understanding that VA services are exempt from any sequestration shenanigans.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

I feel your pain . Our DSIL1 w/DoD is looking at 4 day work week for 22wks also. Thankfully they have some savings for ER's, but my heart goes out to the many gov. employees, contractors, and businesses, that will be affected.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Fed employee here - no RIFs or furloughs for us. Our CFO is brilliant and was able to make the cuts without affecting employees directly. Note that each agency has responsibility for finding the cuts. A lot of the threatened impacts are more politically motivated than anything. You get a lot more press and sympathy if you start cutting salaries and threatening jobs than if you start eliminating training and travel budgets.

I think it will be an interesting experiment. In reality, the cuts from sequestration are really only a drop in the bucket for what's needed. I think the vast majority of Americans on both sides of the aisle truly have no idea the reach and impact of the federal government. My hope is that it will be an eyeopener for everyone. My belief is that any lessons that should be learned will just get lost in more squabbling.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

DH is a DoD employee and facing furlough. We are also a single income family. The local economy is going to be hit very hard if this happens.

I thought this was interesting. It is a state by state sequestration impact released by the White House.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...-state-impact/
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
Fed employee here - no RIFs or furloughs for us. Our CFO is brilliant and was able to make the cuts without affecting employees directly. Note that each agency has responsibility for finding the cuts. A lot of the threatened impacts are more politically motivated than anything. You get a lot more press and sympathy if you start cutting salaries and threatening jobs than if you start eliminating training and travel budgets.

I think it will be an interesting experiment. In reality, the cuts from sequestration are really only a drop in the bucket for what's needed. I think the vast majority of Americans on both sides of the aisle truly have no idea the reach and impact of the federal government. My hope is that it will be an eyeopener for everyone. My belief is that any lessons that should be learned will just get lost in more squabbling.

Finally somebody who gets it.

The people are complaining they will only be working 32 and getting the same hourly rate and full benefits. Try working 40 hours, taking a 20% cut in hourly rate and have your benefits cut.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

of course it's political. That's why it's so very disgusting. The decisions are not being made based on need or project. But I wanted to not get political because I have had threads locked for that. My sil and dd will survive but it will be by not eating out ever, delaying hair cuts, driving cars longer, etc... Who is that going to hurt. Sometimes austerity measures are a bad decision in the long run. If you slash payroll for government workers as part of a political dispute and at least as many families end up laid off, collecting unemployment, which drops their income to the poverty level. qualifying them for other government services and some families can't make their mortgage payment and they need housing assistance have you really saved much money? Personally, I don't think we should provide aid to other countries (and I do believe we should) or fund foreign military situations if we can not provide for our own people. That is the first place I'd cut. It saddens me to think that any senior citizen is going to lose their food assistance over this.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

I live in a city that is going to be hit hard by the cuts. My DH and I both work for the school system, and thankfully our jobs are both funded at the state level. Our Title I schools are going to lose some funding, though.

Unfortunately, we've already had our pay cut several times in the last few years. We also haven't received any raises, cost of living or otherwise. You quickly learn how to adjust and do without non-necessities.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine

It's my understanding that VA services are exempt from any sequestration shenanigans.
Oh that's good!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

There is talk and rumblings at my dh work. They are talking about different divisions and depts. etc.

He might be furloughed with no salary but still not lose seniority or benefits supposedly or they say they trying to encourage people to retire etc. It depends on the situation etc.

Everyone is getting stressed over it for sure.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

My agency is facing up to 14 days of furlough per worker, but they have not calculated the actual number each individual component will have. I am hoping the 4 office vacancies we have had for almost a year now have "saved" us enough money so we face fewer days.

DS1 & DS2 (and DH, of course) 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Possibly again in January 2015????
Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I think it is wise for me to assume at this point that the pay cut is going to be permanent. There is just too much uncertainty. I don't know what others are thinking, haven't asked.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I think it is wise for me to assume at this point that the pay cut is going to be permanent. There is just too much uncertainty. I don't know what others are thinking, haven't asked.
I agree. If they do it this year, and the next, and the next....
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
derricksonb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Lizer View Post
My agency is facing up to 14 days of furlough per worker, but they have not calculated the actual number each individual component will have. I am hoping the 4 office vacancies we have had for almost a year now have "saved" us enough money so we face fewer days.
We are in the same boat. My company has known about the Sequestor and has been planning for possible cuts for almost a year. As employees have moved to other contracts or left for other opportunities we have not back filled their positions. So when the announcement comes down to cut hours we should be in a pretty good position in regards to cutting empty billets and not letting employees go or furloughing civilian employees.

The furlough, as I understand the verbiage, would affect DoD civilian employees only by reducing their regular work schedules by 20% for the 11 pay periods beginning 29APR13 through 27SEP13 or the end of FY13. The furlough days would take place on the opposite Friday and the Monday following the regularly scheduled CWS day and will have no effect on regularly scheduled telework days. There should be no effect to currently funded contracts

Sequestration will impact hundreds of thousands of DoD and other Federal Government employees and contractors. With almost 300,000 in the DC Metro area alone we are set to take a very big hit. The average salary of a DoD civilian is between $65,000 and $72,000. A 20% reduction in salaries in just the DC/MD/VA area would equate to $2,160,000,000.00 ($2.16Billion) in lost salaries over the next 6 months that could be used to pay mortgages, pay down credit card debt, buy gas or groceries or support local business. The loss of 20% income for that many federal employees will be devastating to the local economy. The real impact will be absorbed by small businesses as consumers will have to cut back on luxuries such as going out to dinner, making home improvements, new furniture or supporting local farmers markets. Many employers in the area have already cut hours of par time employees to 29 hours per week in order to stay below the 30 hours per week mandated by the Affordable Care Act. If the private sector followed suit as a result of trickle down economics the Sequestor could lead to hours being reduced in the private sector or eliminated altogether and even less tax revenues for the state and federal governments....
derricksonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post
We are in the same boat. My company has known about the Sequestor and has been planning for possible cuts for almost a year. As employees have moved to other contracts or left for other opportunities we have not back filled their positions. So when the announcement comes down to cut hours we should be in a pretty good position in regards to cutting empty billets and not letting employees go or furloughing civilian employees.

The furlough, as I understand the verbiage, would affect DoD civilian employees only by reducing their regular work schedules by 20% for the 11 pay periods beginning 29APR13 through 27SEP13 or the end of FY13. The furlough days would take place on the opposite Friday and the Monday following the regularly scheduled CWS day and will have no effect on regularly scheduled telework days. There should be no effect to currently funded contracts

Sequestration will impact hundreds of thousands of DoD and other Federal Government employees and contractors. With almost 300,000 in the DC Metro area alone we are set to take a very big hit. The average salary of a DoD civilian is between $65,000 and $72,000. A 20% reduction in salaries in just the DC/MD/VA area would equate to $2,160,000,000.00 ($2.16Billion) in lost salaries over the next 6 months that could be used to pay mortgages, pay down credit card debt, buy gas or groceries or support local business. The loss of 20% income for that many federal employees will be devastating to the local economy. The real impact will be absorbed by small businesses as consumers will have to cut back on luxuries such as going out to dinner, making home improvements, new furniture or supporting local farmers markets. Many employers in the area have already cut hours of par time employees to 29 hours per week in order to stay below the 30 hours per week mandated by the Affordable Care Act. If the private sector followed suit as a result of trickle down economics the Sequestor could lead to hours being reduced in the private sector or eliminated altogether and even less tax revenues for the state and federal governments....
Yes this is the point I am making. Often what looks like savings is not. Sil is civilian dod. I am under the impression that it does not matter what other savings a dept can implement. The furloughs are mandated. His dept is attempting to get approved for only two days a month.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: