Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Key West - Turtle place?

Anyone know if there is any type of a turtle rescue or anything in Key West? My daughter lives turtles & I would love to take her... We have a 1/2 day at Key West on our cruise at the end of April.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom View Post
Anyone know if there is any type of a turtle rescue or anything in Key West? My daughter lives turtles & I would love to take her... We have a 1/2 day at Key West on our cruise at the end of April.
There is one on Marathon Island which is a good little drive. http://www.turtlehospital.org/ I do not think there is one on Key West.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345

There is one on Marathon Island which is a good little drive. http://www.turtlehospital.org/ I do not think there is one on Key West.
Shoot! Ok, thanks! I guess we will tour the island, beach it a bit & relax! Thanks 😀
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
nannylori
Mouseketeer

Yes,it's true-The Turtle Hospital is one hour north in Marathon. Doable if you're in all day,but not half a day.

My suggestion-
Take a Conch Train tour-not the trolley,the train. Children enjoy the little train more than the trolley. The train doesn't stop like the trolley-just an hour tour-but you'll get a great overview of the culture, history & beautiful architecture. You'll also get an idea of where you'd like to go on your next visit.
Then, grab a cab and ask to go to Fort Zach Beach (Fort Zachary Taylor State Park).It's only about 3 minutes from the ship-you passed the beach on the way into the harbor.You can rent a chaise and umbrella,but there are park benches/tables under the trees if you prefer. There is a concession stand there that has nice sandwiches and chocolate dipped frozen key lime pie on a stick. The water is a beautiful caribbean blue green (the Gulf & Atlantic meet here) & pelicans dive for fish right in front of you. You are so close to the ship,if you don't have to be back by 1:00,you can ask the cab to come back at 12:45 & not worry about time.
You will walk back on the ship feeling like you've started your Caribbean vacation-very relaxed & happy.
Just the advice of a local.........
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: