Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Villefranche Sur Mer to Monaco: 1st class vs. 2nd class train seats

This is will be our 2nd time into Villefranche Sur Mer (June 2010).

Because when we took the train into Nice last time, the seats were so nice and on the way back, they were junky and bunch of gypsies on board.

We are planning to take the train from Villefranche Sur Mer to Monaco.

How can I tell which seats are first class versus 2nd class?

Will it be mentioned on the door, the seats, the platform?

Any information would be good.

Thanks!
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Bumping- we are planning to take the train from Villefrance to Monaco, then to Nice, then back to Villefranche and would like more information on this topic as well.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

It is an eleven minute train ride. Why would you want first class?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
It is an eleven minute train ride. Why would you want first class?
My thoughts, also. But, it's usually indicated on the side of the car by the door as you get on.

For example: this is a 2d class car with smoking allowed and seats only (not a sleeper).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
My thoughts, also. But, it's usually indicated on the side of the car by the door as you get on.

For example: this is a 2d class car with smoking allowed and seats only (not a sleeper).

Smoking on a train. What century are they livin in? Thanks for pointing this out Shmoo. I am allergic to nicotine so I will have to watch for that.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

OP if you google seat 61 dot com that guy has an amazing website filled with anything and everything you've ever wanted to know about Trenitalia, seats, 1st v 2nd class, RV v Frecca trains. How to buy tix, PNR codes instead of paper vouchers, etc.

It's a great resource.

EDITED TO ADD---oop! You asked about French trains hehe. Ok well the above site is good for Italian trains if you decide to use those!

Last edited by lilpooh108; 02-26-2013 at 02:39 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
briandclement
Earning My Ears

Hi !! I am french and think I can help you out with french train.system ! If you have to choose between 1st and 2nd class... Go with the cheapest because 1st on regional trains dont usually have anything special. Also, the company called SNCF, which is the french national railway company, is unfortunately very famous for havings loads of delays. You might be fine, but you'll want to come earlier to get back on the ship on time! And.be ready to speak french, or have some basic sentences written down because it is most likely that people wont speak english.
If you have any other questions... !!!
briandclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandclement View Post
Hi !! I am french and think I can help you out with french train.system ! If you have to choose between 1st and 2nd class... Go with the cheapest because 1st on regional trains dont usually have anything special. Also, the company called SNCF, which is the french national railway company, is unfortunately very famous for havings loads of delays. You might be fine, but you'll want to come earlier to get back on the ship on time! And.be ready to speak french, or have some basic sentences written down because it is most likely that people wont speak english.
I have a question!

Ok...everytime I take the SNCF from Neuilly Porte Maillot to Versailles, I have to get off and change platforms, and then I get lost for 10 minutes.

I've read that if you take the train from the Musee D'Orsay, the train goes directly to Versailles.

Do you have any opinion about this? Are there any other stations where the train goes directly to Versailles without a train change or platform change? Thanks!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for this advice! I have a question about our day in Villefranche- we are there on Bastille Day in July. I read that the trains will operate on a Sunday schedule. We are planning to take the train from Villefranche to Monaco for a couple hours and then take the train from Monaco to Nice for a few more hours and then train back to the ship. Are the trains expected to be very late or unreliable since it is a holiday? Would we be better with a taxi? How much time should we allow for leaving Nice via train to get back to Villefranche to make sure we make the ship on time?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Momís Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #10
briandclement
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I have a question!

Ok...everytime I take the SNCF from Neuilly Porte Maillot to Versailles, I have to get off and change platforms, and then I get lost for 10 minutes.

I've read that if you take the train from the Musee D'Orsay, the train goes directly to Versailles.

Do you have any opinion about this? Are there any other stations where the train goes directly to Versailles without a train change or platform change? Thanks!
This line is sooooo confusing ! I am used to using public transportation in Paris but this line is a real challenge ! Yes from Musee d'Orsay you can go straight, as long as the stop "Versailles - Rive gauche" is written as a stop that means you won't need to change trains.
If you ever have a doubt, ask what train goes to Versailles (Chateau de Versailles if that's what you want to visit) and they will probably give the number of the train and you will only need to refer to that.
I haven't experienced this line to go to Versailles, but if you have a map with you and take time to read the screens, you'll master the parisian transports !!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
briandclement
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Thank you for this advice! I have a question about our day in Villefranche- we are there on Bastille Day in July. I read that the trains will operate on a Sunday schedule. We are planning to take the train from Villefranche to Monaco for a couple hours and then take the train from Monaco to Nice for a few more hours and then train back to the ship. Are the trains expected to be very late or unreliable since it is a holiday? Would we be better with a taxi? How much time should we allow for leaving Nice via train to get back to Villefranche to make sure we make the ship on time?
I see that Villefranche is located right in the middle between Nice and Monaco. I only takes a few minutes to get from one point to another so you should be fine. People working for the train company are used to work on holidays. You will have access to the train schedule up to 3 months before, so it will give you time to organize your trip. Check the sncf website for train ticket rates and schedules. You shall be fine as there are a lot of tourists around, especially in summer. Taxis will probably charge a ridiculous amount of money and will probably take time as it is going to be a busy day on roads !

What I was saying is, EXAMPLE: if you have to be on board at 5 and you have trains coming back for 4.10 or 4.30, I would advise you take 4.10 one even if the second one still leaves you time to go from the station to the ship in case of unexpected events. But I'm sure you guys are used to being careful with time so I hope you'll have fun. I've never been to Monaco, but I've seen the city on its rock when going to Italy and it looks beautiful ! Shame you won't experience Bastille day fireworks on land as it is a tradition in France !

I hope I helped
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Just a note... while I am not sure of this line it's highly possible that even if you pay for "first class" you won't be in first class. You just will have paid more for a seat.

Some "commuter" trains don't actually have a "first class" cabin.

I think the OP just discovered that there are some trains that are nice and new and some trains that are older. Luck of the draw. (As for the "gypsies'... Did they identify themselves?)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

Wow! Great to know. The website for the French trains stated that the train ride was longer.

I appreciate the picture and the information.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJackJunior View Post
Smoking on a train. What century are they livin in? Thanks for pointing this out Shmoo. I am allergic to nicotine so I will have to watch for that.
Yes, good to know. My DD13 is highly allergic to smoke and starts wheezing. Have to remind her to bring her inhaler.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I will make sure that I have the basic questions written in French. My French is not really good, because I have not practiced it in 15 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: