Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

The Mega, No Limits Two Week Solo Trip of Win

Fellow solo DIS-ers, I seek recommendations for my ultimate, no holds barred mega trip...

I work in television-- it's a field that requires a lot of 12-14 hour days, many times seven days a week (I just finished a 28 day-straight working streak and it wasn't the first), and constant high-priority deadlines. Of course... it's television. Seriously, not much to complain about. I love it. But you eventually get extremely psychologically worn down after a while, especially if you're battening down the hatches on two shows at once. As with a lot of us here, my coworkers are not aware I'm a Disney fanatic. Whether they're amazing people (they are) or not, it just takes a certain kind of person to get enthusiastic about that. Anyways! I've signed on for a new season of my primary show (though both are made at the same studio) beginning halfway through April. I'll have a two week break at the end of March after my second show goes into "inter-season hibernation."

Many of those extra weekends and days that I mentioned were optional. I did them for the overtime, because I had... a secret plan. For too many years, I've had to only take short, 3-4 day trips down to WDW because film isn't big on holidays. Other times because my mother and my schedules only overlapped for such a short time (best travel buddy EVER). Well, this upcoming season is going to be the longest haul yet. And I knew that. SO I SAVED EVERY #@(*$&@ PENNY I COULD, AND I'M GOING TO HAVE THE MOST UNLIMITED DISNEY VACATION OF MY LIFE SO FAR.

And did I mention, my pay is awesome?

Two week solo trip. I actually love Saratoga Springs because I'm a walker, so that trail to DTD is great (and makes me feel better about easting all the Ghiradelli Cookie Bottom Sundaes I dream of). We have all of our points there anyways, so I'll be spending one week there and the next at our Marriott timeshare nearby (Our family is not super wealthy, my aunt's father gave the Marriott points to us for nothing and we usually just like to stay on property and we've never done anything with them). I'm not picky. I have no food allergies and I eat everything. I like shows, I like all rides, and I've never done any of the tours. I've been solo for maybe a day before, and I loved it, but now it's a big blank check of relaxation and magic.

I'm keeping myself open to anything. The only things I'd really like to do is the Spirit of Aloha dinner show (I've wanted to go since I first went to the Poly in 1998), maybe try the AK Backstage Safari, and I REALLY want to eat a bunch of candela at Via Napoli.

You are my people! What would you do if you could do this? LIVE THROUGH ME haha
Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

When exactly are you going?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

I'm actually booking my tickets officially tonight-- barring any surprises, it should be 03/22 - 04/05. Fingers crossed nothing changes!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Well. I'm down there 4/4-4/7. So if you wanna hang let me know. 4/4 is my bday and I'm eating at Flying Fish. But other than that I'm open. Dont know what time you leave on 4/5. But I have Via Napoli booked for that day. I'm thinking of doing a tour. Probably Keys to the Kingdom. Would live to have company sometime!

Last edited by jagfanjosh3252; 02-24-2013 at 05:28 PM.
jagfanjosh3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

I am doing my two week solo "mega" trip next January but on a much tighter budget... I am mostly splurging on spending a few nights at multiple deluxe hotels on-side. BUT... if I had more cash, I would call up Victoria & Alberts and see if they had availability for one. I would get spa treatments out the wazoo. I would go parasailing on Bay Lake. I would eat at a ton of character buffet meals. I don't think SSR has cabanas by the pool, so I would do a waterpark day and rent one there. I would do an Illuminations cruise. I would get my face painted. I would either snack around the World or drink around the monorail resort bars. Soooo many options... That's only what I can think of off the top of my head Enjoy!!! Sounds like you deserve it!

singastory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Emteach
DIS Veteran

I would absolutely agree with much of what was written above.
1) Spa Treatments
2) Lots of the Tours (for me mine would be Dolphins in Depth, Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek)
3) Lots of Eating - especially the character dinners as they are so much fun; but also some more fancy ones as well
4) Shopping
5) One day snacking around WS as there are so many delicious treats
6) I like the idea of visiting the bars on the monorail resorts as the drinks they serve are so very different - and fun getting to explore them as well

I am not big on posh so Victoria and Alberts would not be for me but if you like that I would say go for it.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

1) Spa Treatments
2) Lots of the Tours (for me mine would be Dolphins in Depth, Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek)
3) Lots of Eating - especially the character dinners as they are so much fun; but also some more fancy ones as well
4) Shopping
5) One day snacking around WS as there are so many delicious treats
6) I like the idea of visiting the bars on the monorail resorts as the drinks they serve are so very different - and fun getting to explore them as well

I am not big on posh so Victoria and Alberts would not be for me but if you like that I would say go for it.

Oh man! I'd never considered the spas before! I'll definitely add that now! Are there any that you've found more to your liking than others?

I definitely agree on the tour bonanza. We've fallen into such a rhythm with our trips-- and it's a great rhythm for a group!-- we never do anything "extra" like the tours or shows. I was thinking KTTK and Trek but the Dolphin one had completely slipped my mind! That's perfect!

Food is such a huge thing on my mind with this trip. I was wondering about Victoria and Albert's-- so I wouldn't be judged for going solo? I've been DYING to go there and-- I know it's very different-- Canada FOREVER.

My biggest question now is: Character dinners/buffets. For some reason, my groups have never been big on them. I think they sound like the best fun you can have with a meal. Are they great going on your own? Or do I look sad and lonely? haha I'm not self-conscious about those kinds of things at all, but is there a certain spirit you should be in to attend? I probably will be, but I was just wondering what to expect! Any particular ones that stand out?

SO EXCITED.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

First off, have a great trip. I want to know what shows you work for now, haha.

The tours are awesome and super informative. I have done and would recommend the KTTK, Backstage Safari, and Segway tour at EPCOT (although that one is currently delayed).

If you can, a meal at the new Be Our Guest restaurant looks cool. The reservations go very fast, but you could always go for counter service lunch too!

There are some great shows to see if you take your time, both in and out of the parks. Check out La Nouba and the House of Blues at DTD to see what's going on there, or Blue Man Group is a short drive away at Universal if you don't mind going over there.

For food and drink, there is so much to do at EPCOT. For Drinking and snacking around the world, start with a margarita in mexico and then walk slowly through all the shops in the different countries, enjoying drinks when you feel like it. You can do every country if you want, but most who do tend to get a bit sloppy at the end, especially if you go too fast!

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

hahaha Pumbaa, I will be slightly less direct about which shows for the sake of search engines, but my secondary show involves people saying Yes to many things but usually it's to a Dress. My main show is about Jokers who you might call... maybe... Impractical?

I've been dying to see La Nouba, that was another thing on my checklist! But I had no idea Blue man Group was over at Universal. If I can be blasphemous for a moment, I only remember the WWoHP when it was just Dueling Dragons at IoA, so I had planned for at least a day there to see what's new. That's a perfect addition to that day!

I feel like EPCOT is going to be a many-day event for me. Like I said, I'm in love with Via Napoli (I also have a very innocent, little-kid-like crush on one of the waitresses who's there sometimes haha) and Coral Reef Cafe-- and I'm also going to try to slip into the Canadian restaurant. So that's maybe three days if I don't want to come back as a small blimp. On top of that, I feel more and more like if I really want to have a true foodie adventure in WS I should split it in two so I actually enjoy the food rather than just trying to physically and temporally squeeze everything into one day while enjoying the F&G Fest. Mexico is definitely my origin point, however. So maybe make it halfway then trot over to the Swan & Dolphin for a couple laps (I love that lap pool!)
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
KinziePooh
DIS Veteran

If it were me, I'd spend a lot of time at Epcot. Don't worry about going home looking like a blimp...you'll be doing a lot of walking. Plus, if F & G is anything like F & W, the portions won't be huge.

As for character meals, go for it. I think people will be too busy enjoying their experience to notice/care that you're alone. If the people you normally travel with aren't into character meals, now would be the time to try them. That's what solo trips are all about....doing what YOU want to do!

If you're at all into NASCAR (or just going fast), try the Richard Petty Experience. You can either drive the car or do a ride along where a professional driver takes you around the track.

Last but not least, you're main show is the BEST show on TV. I'm so happy 13 more episodes were ordered for the second season!

Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

How about hopping on a 3 or 4 night cruise for part of that 2 weeks?!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

Enjoy your trip!

How did I forget Richard Petty?! Yes and YES!

Thanks, KinziePooh!! I'm so excited to get going again-- that's what we're starting on in April! I will tell you this, without any PR-based skewing, that the people who work on that show are easily among the most legitimately talented, hard-working, and kind people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. And even though we have to watch it many, many times, I still lose it when there's a good "Larry!" joke. To boot, the four guys are every bit as as fun as you'd think in real life, which is impressive with how professional they stay at the same time. And I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't think extremely well of them! Which is VERY rare in reality tv. I've seen some of the preliminary ideas for the challenges planned for the back half of the season and, trust me, it's going to be WELL worth the wait.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

It depends on what you are into:
sports: golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I Am Right There With You!

I too am doing a similar trip the last full week of April. For 9 nights and 10 days, I will be taking a much needed (full) vacation to recoup and have fun in my most favorite place.

I have normally gone on long weekends and they are a drop and run type of adventure. This trip will be a relaxing one, taking time to enjoy so much the World has to offer. I am staying at CSR for the first time. I love the look and layout of the resort. I plan on spending some time there to take it all in.

Dining! I work for a well known Restauranteur, and living in New Orleans, of course, food is a top priority! I am trying many new places, along with some favs! I plan on doing many meals at the other resorts so I can explore more - Flying Fish, Kona, Citricos, Cape May . . . and Crystal Palace for a character breakfast - first time for that!

Somewhere in there, I am waiting to schedule the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party!

Tours! You bet! I have booked The Wild Africa Trek for one morning and, and the Backstage Tour on another day!

Spa! Not yet, but have a massage that is calling my name. I just need to decided on when to schedule it!

Oh yeah, I also scheduled Dine With An Imagineer at The Brown Derby! It is going to be a full week, but a relaxing one and just enjoy my solo trip!

Have fun!!!!!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

*GASP!* How did you go about scheduling the Dine with an Imagineer?!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: