Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #31
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Oh my ...I just spent about 30 minutes giving an update. I just got deleted.

Sorry...I am off to bed. No new update tonight. Heading to Vegas tomorrow. Long story. It won't be fun.

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #32
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Oooh, I have done that too often. Sorry! I hope all is well and your trip is a good thing.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Tink2Day
Mouseketeer

I am SOOOOO subscribing to this thread. I do have to go back and read through all of it though

I don't get much time to read but this one looks right up my alley. I LOVED WWoHP and can't wait to go back. I really hope I'm still healthy and able to go when they finish the Gringott's part. (I'm a 'grandmotherly' age, going on 15)
Tink2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #34
bkny
Earning My Ears

For the theme music how about the themes to Jurassic Park? It would be perfect as you are pulling into Universal.
bkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkny View Post
For the theme music how about the themes to Jurassic Park? It would be perfect as you are pulling into Universal.
That is a good idea but I am guessing it is going to have to be Harry Potter for us. Wait..is Jurassic Park on the IoA side or the Universal side? If is on the Universal side then we can do Jurassic Park on our Universal Days.
I should know this by now shouldn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink2Day View Post
I am SOOOOO subscribing to this thread. I do have to go back and read through all of it though

I don't get much time to read but this one looks right up my alley. I LOVED WWoHP and can't wait to go back. I really hope I'm still healthy and able to go when they finish the Gringott's part. (I'm a 'grandmotherly' age, going on 15)
Glad you are joining the fun! I know what you mean about going on 15. I am 46 but feel like a kid most of the time. I know I start to act like one too the minute I step into an amusment park.

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Boy, I can't believe I have less than 2 weeks. It seems so close and yet so far away. My trip to Vegas took up some of my planning time. My mom lives there and had back surgery. She seems to be improving. My brother flew in after me to take over in taking care of her. She is in a rehab facility now. Hopefully she will make a full recovery and the surgery will help reduce her pain. Long story short she has been in a great deal of pain for the past three years. I say this because I know she will never read this although she would agree with me…... I love my mother dearly but she is very high maintenance. I compared taking care of her after the surgery to caring for Elizabeth Taylor, J Lo, Mariah Carey and Lindsey Lohan all at once and that was with nursing staff to assist!

Anyway back to the trip. I made reservations for our travel night. We will stay just outside of Atlanta. Next I need to reserve the HP books on CD from our local library. DD12 wanted to do book 5 but she was overruled. We are sticking with book 3 & 4. I also need to work on a packing list and shopping list. One thing that I am having a heck of a time finding are the cheapo rain ponchos. I always liked the ones at Wal-Mart. I have been to two different Wal-Marts and the slot that contains them is empty. I also went to Target where they did not have any (slightly more expensive ones) either. Has anyone else in the country been having trouble finding them? I don’t want to spend more than $1.25 for them. I don’t like the 2 for $1 kind you get at the dollar store either. As a matter of fact I was briefly looking for them at the dollar store the other day and did not see any but ran out of time to continue my search.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #37
Dunlopiii
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=": Has anyone else in the country been having trouble finding them? I don’t want to spend more than $1.25 for them. I don’t like the 2 for $1 kind you get at the dollar store either. As a matter of fact I was briefly looking for them at the dollar store the other day and did not see any but ran out of time to continue my search.[/QUOTE]

Our Wal-Mart stopped carrying them last month. Hubby found them at Dollar Tree yesterday though!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Rain ponchos have been located! Thank you Dollar General Store!
Also purchased some beach towels and swim noodles to take to the pool at our resort. Now I am going to check out restaurant.com to see if I can find some deals.

Oh, I had a dream last night that I forgot our park tickets.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Look at that ticker...Only three days! I only have a moment to update because I need to start to pack.

I am almost done putting together all the songs on my cd. Here is what I have so far.

Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme)John Williams Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban Soundtrack
Gimme Some Lovin'- The Blues Brothers
Hero Music From And Inspired By Spider-Man Soundtrack
He Carves The Roast Beast (Includes Welcome Christmas)- How The Grinch Stole Christmas Soundtrack
Oh, Atlanta -Alison Krauss (We will be spending the night in Atlanta)
Water- Brad Paisley (Wet and Wild here we come!)The Devil Went Down to Georgia Charlie Daniels
The Coast Court Yard Hounds (We may make it to the beach)
Theme From Spider Man- Aerosmith
Margaritaville Jimmy Buffett
Singing In the Rain / Umbrella- Glee Cast (It rains a lot in Fl)
Tennessee - Sugarland (We will drive through Tennessee)
Skin Deep Town -X (A song about Ft. Lauderdale which will likely never drive to so when else can I add this song to my travel mix cd?)
E.T. - Katy Perry
Men In Black -Will Smith
Nod Ya Head- Will Smith
A Thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton (Yep, we will drive 1000 miles)
Judgement Day - Van Halen (T2 Judgement Day-Get it?)
Scream - Tokio Hotel (Lot's of screaming will be happening)
Blister In the Sun -Violent Femmes (It will be hot)
What About Georgia? -Miranda Lambert (Another Georgia song besides I love Miranda)
Golden State (Live) -Eddie Vedder & Natalie Maines (I would say Fl is my Golden State although I think they are really referring to CA in the song. I love this song though)
Survivor -Destiny's Child (DD12 picked it because she hopes to survive the rides)
Jailhouse Rock The Blues Brothers
Hagrid The Professor - Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban Soundtrack
Quidditch, Third Year -Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban Soundtrack

I did get the soundtracks for Despicable Me and Curious George today at the library.

I have both HP 3 & 4 on cd to listen to on the way.

I watched Transformers the other night in the hopes we will be able to make the soft opening. I didn't care too much for the movie and fell asleep with about a half hour left. I could tell it was going to just be fighting until the end.
There were a lot of good songs that Bumble Bee used ( I think that is his name) but I don't want to buy any. I am still trying to decide if I want to buy Bad to the Bone and a Ne-Yo song. Ne-Yo will be performing our first night. DD12 is the only that seems to have an interest in battling the crowds.

I think that is all for now. I probably won't do any "live" updates" but you never know. I am one to post a lot of pictures which takes time.

One more thing...the strangest thing happened today. I am not sure if this was really good luck or not so good luck. I took DD12 to the doctor for a minor rash today. I thought she may need a prescription cream. It turns out it is viral and there is nothing that can be done until it runs it's course. Of course the doc is doing a good exam and feels that her glands are swollen. Just to be safe she does a strep test....turns out it was positive. She feels fine. Doc said it was barely positive and she was probably in the beginning stages. On the up side....we wont be visiting Orlando's urgent care center and spending a day in the condo. On the downside she will be on and antibiotic up until the last day of our vacation.

Last edited by Nancy for Disney; 05-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Shandy1121
Earning My Ears

They use to have shot they could give you one time in the upper thigh for that without having to take a weeks worth of meds. I know they gave it to me once a million years ago when I had strep lol. Shots are icky but might be worth asking the doc so ya don't have to worry about meds while on vacation. Just an idea Have fun!
Shandy1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #41
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Just got the last of the packing done. Goal is to leave by 6 am tomorrow.

I just read that they started soft openings for Transformers!!!! Of course I also saw that there was a 90 minute wait. Have I yet to mention how much I hate to wait in line. It will be interesting to see how I handle this trip without fastpass. That is one of the things I like about Disney is that I know how to avoid lines. Which brings me to another issue. I have my IoA plan worked out but I am a little lost regarding US. I am thinking doing Despicable Me first as that is something that I know everyone will want to do. Any other thoughts? Normally I would say Rip Rocket but like I said I think it will be just DS and either his dad or I that will be daring enough.

Night all!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #42
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Oh Nancy your Hedwig has disappeared from your ticker! How exciting! I am very jealous! I hope you have a fabulous time, and I hope your dd feels fine and isn't slowed down by the antibiotics. (I agree that it's good luck--if it's coming, best to know about it and head it off.)

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #43
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

We had a great time. Now for the trip report. Let's see if I can remember everything.

We left at 5:55 am...a whopping five minutes ahead of schedule. We took our traditional "We are leaving for vacation!!!!" photo.

DH is one of those people that does not like to stop. I think I made it a total of 4 hours without a bathroom break. This is a record for me. We packed lunches and ate in the car. We made good time and I called and changed our reservations for just outside Atlanta to just outside Macon.

We did stop just outside Atlanta for dinner at Golden Corral. We were starved after only eating small sandwiches and snacks all day. I think it was around 6:30. It was a good buffet and hit the spot. There was something for everyone. If you ever need a good place to stop off I-75 in the Atlanta area I recommend Exit 221. I only remember the exit number because we debated on if we should stop there or exit 118 which was where our original hotel was located. We were so hungry that we didn't think we could make it to the next exit. LOL!

Here is DS eating the cotton candy that was on the dessert side of the buffet. They also had a chocolate fountain. YUM!

We made it to our hotel very tired. We stated at Comfort Suites in Bryon, GA. It was a nice clean hotel with a pull out sofa so it could accommodate a family of 5 easily.

We had noticed a peach stand near the exit so we decided to stop before getting on the highway again. We got a bag of peaches and Frog Jam which I had never heard of before. It was quite tasty although probably will not seek it out. It is fig, raspberry and ginger jam. It had a little too much fig for me. I did enjoy it on an English muffin while in Florida and did not have enough leftover to bring any home.

We just stopped at gas station that had a Subway and Dairy Queen for lunch. DS was craving some curly fries from Arby's which was across the street. We still needed gas so DH got gas there and we waited and waited and waited for DS to get his fries. The entire time the drive thru is empty. I finally call to see if he had placed his order. He hadn't so we had him come out and did the drive thru. 30 seconds later he had his fries. DS said there was drama happening in the back. We were on our way again.

I can't remember if we took this before or after lunch.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #44
shoney
DIS Veteran

thanks for the report...keep it coming!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #45
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

We arrived in Orlando at about 4 pm which worked out perfectly for two reasons...1. Our check in was at 4:00. 2. We had finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban about an hour prior to this which gave us time to listen to the mix cd as we were arriving.

We rented a condo through HomeAway.com. I was a little nervous as I had never done this before. I must say I was quite pleased. Here are our photos before we messed it up:

It even came with our own copy of this:

If you are ever interested in renting this condo here is the link:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p145720

It is perfect for a Universal/ Sea World vacation. It was a quick ten minute drive straight down Universal Blvd to get to US and Wet N Wild with very little traffic. It really worked out nicely. We also found Sea World on our first night and it is also close. There is a Publix less than a block away and a Walgreens on sight. Sorry no pictures of the pool but it was your average pool. No special slides or anything. Another great feature for this particular condo was that it was just around the corner from the pool but not over looking the pool. Not overlooking the pool was a good thing in that we didn't hear people swimming. Not so good in that our balcony overlooked the parking lot which really wasn't that big of a deal for me.

After getting our stuff inside we decided to get something to eat. Since we had no idea where anything was we thought we would go to Publix. DH thought it was like our local Hy-Vee which has a nice hot food deli with a Chinese and Italian station. It wasn't so we left. We drove around and found Pearl's Chinese which was on my list of potential restaurants I had saved in TripAdvisor. It was average Chinese except for the General Tso's which was some of the best I ever had.

Oh my...I didn't get a photo of the General's Chicken. Sorry.

DH got this in his fortune cookie....which is appropriate as he is a bit of a workaholic and has trouble finding time for fun.

We found our way back to the Publix and got groceries to make it through the week. We then hit the hay for our big day at IoA. We had plans to make it at opening. Did we make it? How many times will we make it at opening this week?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: