Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Bad to the Bone in T2

This Sunday's movie was Terminator 2. Just myself and DD12 watched. I fell asleep in the middle. It is not a reflection of the movie. I was just so incredibly tired. DD liked it. I also got some good songs for our trip CD. They had some Guns & Roses playing at the end. And a cool scene with Bad to the Bone. For your entertainment here is the link to the scene on YouTube--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYOoWCv_PYE

Tonight was the night they had Universal Studios on Celebrity Apprentice. I only watched a few minutes. We had the longest parent meeting for DD's skate team it looked like it was close the end by the time I was able to turn it on. We don't have cable so saving it to watch later doesn't happen in our home.

I have a crazy busy week and weekend coming up. We still have Jurassic Park in the Netflix envelope. I hope we can watch it soon. DD12 is the only one who has not seen it. She says she doesn't want to watch a movie about dinosaurs. I think she would like it if she gives it a chance. It is just a matter of my forcing her to watch it.

Happy planning everyone!

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Last edited by Nancy for Disney; 03-10-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #17
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy for Disney View Post
This Sunday's movie was Terminator 2. Just myself and DD12 watched. I fell asleep in the middle. It is not a reflection of the movie. I was just so incredibly tired.
Ha I fell asleep in the middle of Madagascar3 on Friday! I loved it in the theatre and was looking forward to seeing it again. Fail.

Quote:
It is just a matter of my forcing her to watch it.
Maybe I'm still too tired, but this made me crack up. THAT, boys and girls, is what Moms are FOR!

It's March break here, so I get to sleep in some, but I am social director this week. "Just do it"...Nike thinks it's theirs, but really it belongs to moms. "You don't feel like going to get a haircut and going to Costco to get a passport picture?? Just do it if you know what's good for you!"

Happy planning to you too.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

I forgot to post something DD12 said about T2. I asked her what she thought of the movie and she said "I can't believe the cussing that boy did right in front of his mother and she didn't even say anything to him about it!" I told her that his mom probably had bigger things to worry about than some cuss words but I was very proud of her for noticing that wasn't appropriate.

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

What a great idea to listen to an HP book for the ride there! The idea for a mix CD for the trip is cute, too! I love most of the music from the Shrek movies, so that was all I could really think of, but JoAnne’s suggestion of the HP music is a good one, too. I wonder if they have the soundtrack to Goblet of Fire available? I’m glad you guys liked Terminator and T2 – and that you got some songs for it! I also laughed at that when you said you were going to force your daughter to watch Jurassic Park I’ve done that so many times! Hey, we know their tastes, so we know what they’re going to like!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

We are going to Universal in June also. We love it there and I think your family will too. I am trying to think of spinning rides to be aware of for your daughter's heart condition. At IOA:
Cat in the Hat: spins around some with a few back to back in the middle of the ride.

Storm Force Acceleron: it's like the teacups on steroids.

Universal Studios side:
Men In Black: has a few spins back to back.

If I think of more, I will let you know.

We do countdown dinners too. I haven't thought about Terminator. Do you think it will be inappropriate for a soon to be 10 and 11 year old?
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
What a great idea to listen to an HP book for the ride there! The idea for a mix CD for the trip is cute, too! I love most of the music from the Shrek movies, so that was all I could really think of, but JoAnne’s suggestion of the HP music is a good one, too. I wonder if they have the soundtrack to Goblet of Fire available? I’m glad you guys liked Terminator and T2 – and that you got some songs for it! I also laughed at that when you said you were going to force your daughter to watch Jurassic Park I’ve done that so many times! Hey, we know their tastes, so we know what they’re going to like!
I have done a mix CD for every trip we have taken since 2009 when we went to DC. I don't think I can remember all the songs but since we drove there West Virginia I had John Denver's "Country Roads", music from the John Adam's Mini Series, Baltimore from Hair Spray...well you get the idea. Last year we did Vegas so I had ever Vegas related song I could find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
We are going to Universal in June also. We love it there and I think your family will too. I am trying to think of spinning rides to be aware of for your daughter's heart condition. At IOA:
Cat in the Hat: spins around some with a few back to back in the middle of the ride.

Storm Force Acceleron: it's like the teacups on steroids.

Universal Studios side:
Men In Black: has a few spins back to back.

If I think of more, I will let you know.

We do countdown dinners too. I haven't thought about Terminator. Do you think it will be inappropriate for a soon to be 10 and 11 year old?
Thanks for the ride suggestions. I think my daughter will be ok on all of those rides. She just can't do intense spinning like Mission to Mars. That is is the only Orlando ride I can think of she would have a problem with. She is fine on Astro Orbiter. I'm not, but she is. That is the only ride in WDW I will never ride again...NEVER!

After a super crazy busy weekend with DD12 skating competition we finally watched Jurassic Park last night. DD12 did like it and got into once it started just like I said she would. I just hope we can get her on the ride. It has a dip you know. Unfortunately no song ideas for my CD.

Thanks for reading and posting.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #22
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

The Food Plan

Where to eat? I love picking places to eat. I have been reading a lot of restaurant reviews lately. TripAdvisor is my best friend for this. I have also found some decent Orlando food review websites.

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/

http://watch-me-eat.blogspot.com/

I have picky eaters and a husband that is on a very strict low carb diet. He is also trying to eat a lot less meat but is not committed to being a vegetarian. On top of that he is not that adventurous. He would rather that we eat every meal at the condo and is perfectly happy eating his usual fare. I would describe it but lately it has not been too pleasant. I am on vacation and don’t want to cook. I actually love to cook but I also love to eat out. Since we rarely eat out I see this as my opportunity.

Anyway…my understanding is that if you want to eat at a full service restaurant you should make a reservation at around the 60 day mark but I have also heard that you can also make them that morning. I don’t want to commit to more than one meal so I have to pick between Mythos, Confisco and Finnegan’s.
I am also tempted to adventure over to the Disney side for a meal. I think my kids would enjoy the entertainment at Raglan Road. The menu not so much.
They would eat the steak of course but that gets pricey for a family of 5. There is also a Raglan Road in Kansas City which is two hours from me. I don’t think they have the same entertainment though. DH has eaten there when he was in KC for work and he did not recall music or dancing. Here is a flashback photo from our 2009 trip:

I would also like to eat at Kouzzina. It was my favorite meal of our trip in 2009. Of course our kids would hate it so this would have to be a meal for just the two of us. Here is a picture of the fisherman’s stew. It was so good!

These are the restaurant’s I have saved on TripAdvisor:

Mannys Chop House
Wildside BBQ & Grill
Cafe Tu Tu Tango
Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar B Que
Atlantic Cove Seafood & Steak
Pearl's
Orlando Ale House
Seasons 52
Deep Blu Seafood Grille
Sweet Tomatoes
NYPD Pizza Lake Cay (It appears to be just around the corner from our condo)
Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse

In reality I bet we end up eating Steak N Shake, Cracker Barrel and Applebee's.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
HarleyGirl514
Earning My Ears

The only one of those restaurants I have eaten at is Pearl's & it is yummy!! And I'm sure the seafood in Orlando is a lot better than Oklahoma!

DH , Me , DD (12) DS (11) , DS (9) , DD (6) , DS (5)
HarleyGirl514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #24
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl514 View Post
The only one of those restaurants I have eaten at is Pearl's & it is yummy!! And I'm sure the seafood in Orlando is a lot better than Oklahoma!
I am glad you liked it. Chinese is the only thing my family agrees on but every place is a little bit different. The pictures look like it close to what the kiddos are used to. It lookls like it is close to our resourt too. I also like that they do carry out and delivery. We can save a bit on beverages that way.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Exciting Day

I just wrote the check for the final payment for our condo. It will be in the mail tomorrow.

I also went to library today and got several soundtracks for my mix CD. I got the music from the following movies:

Spiderman
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
HP -The Prisoner of Azkaban
Blues Brothers.

Next move from Netflix is ET.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Yay for writing cheques! I bought our passes this weekend, and while it's a lot of money, putting it out makes the trip seem closer. I was at the library today too, and saw Transformers--we should watch that too, when it came out I thought ds was too young for it.

Didn't see your restaurant list before. We did Bubba's last trip, and it was good. A few years ago we visited friends in NC and they took us to their locals, though, which was fabulous, so it takes a lot to impress us. Here's a goofy picture of dh there. (He probably had brisket.)
We also tried Sweet Tomatoes, and I liked it a lot. I was expecting "virtuous" and while it was fresh food, with plenty of healthy options, it was also tasty.

Oh--is it bad form to post pictures in someone else's thread?? No, the fellow above doesn't belong in Nancy's family, he's all mine. :

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011

Last edited by coastgirl; 03-27-2013 at 09:01 PM.
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Yay for paying off the condo! It looks like you have some good choices for places where you might eat! I hope you don’t end up at Applebees or anything like that. I always worry about that, too, but I tell my kids that the purpose of travelling is to try something new. I refuse to step foot in a chain – with the exception of Bubba Gump and Rain Forest Café, because we don’t have those here. Have fun watching ET!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Yay for writing cheques! I bought our passes this weekend, and while it's a lot of money, putting it out makes the trip seem closer. I was at the library today too, and saw Transformers--we should watch that too, when it came out I thought ds was too young for it.

Didn't see your restaurant list before. We did Bubba's last trip, and it was good. A few years ago we visited friends in NC and they took us to their locals, though, which was fabulous, so it takes a lot to impress us. Here's a goofy picture of dh there. (He probably had brisket.)
We also tried Sweet Tomatoes, and I liked it a lot. I was expecting "virtuous" and while it was fresh food, with plenty of healthy options, it was also tasty.

Oh--is it bad form to post pictures in someone else's thread?? No, the fellow above doesn't belong in Nancy's family, he's all mine. :
I don't have a problem with it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
Yay for paying off the condo! It looks like you have some good choices for places where you might eat! I hope you don’t end up at Applebees or anything like that. I always worry about that, too, but I tell my kids that the purpose of travelling is to try something new. I refuse to step foot in a chain – with the exception of Bubba Gump and Rain Forest Café, because we don’t have those here. Have fun watching ET!
I agree about trying stuff that is new. I am however in a minority..as the only one in the family of 5 willing to try something new. The thing is I usually do try to consider what everyone else will eat. For example...I love Indian food and sushi...do you see any Indian or sushi restaurants on my list???? That is because everyone else would never eat it. I try to make sure there is something on the menu for everyone. I have yet to pick a place too that they did not like too. They still fight me.

We will probably skip Bubba Gump. DS is allergic to shrimp. DH worries about it all the time. We had a minor incident when DS tried shrimp at the seafood restaurant in Epcot that I totally can't think of the name right now...anyway..you all know the one. He ate one bite of shrimp and his lips looked like Sebastian's in Little Mermaid. Anyway shrimp makes DH very nervous now. There are too many other great choices so it is not worth the risk or the anxiety.

Oh by the DH has officially gone whole grain only vegan. He has agreed to just do vegetarian while on vacation. We shall see how that works out. I see there are plenty of choices at IoA but it looks a little limited on the US side besides the Veggie burger at Richter's (I think I have the name right). I think I have also decided on Mythos.

I have added some more restaurants on my TripAdvisor list too:

Infusion Tea (Vegetarian)
Wildside BBQ (near Infusion Tea for the kiddos)
Word's Largest Mcdonald's (Not too excited but you never know)
Wood Grill Buffet
Atlas House Restaurant (This is a new middle eastern restaurant..Uzbek cuisine . Any way they have vegetarian stuff and kabobs full of meat that my kids would like. Now this will different!)

Happy Easter Weekend everyone! I am going to my niece's wedding. Very excited and should be tons of fun.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Sorry it has been so long since I updated. There really hasn't been much to post. I am just waiting for our trip and trying to be patient. We have only watched one movie. I had Transformers and ET. Both were sent back without watching. It turns out we own Transformers. All three kiddos said they had already seen ET and they had no interest in seeing it again. We did watch Blues Brothers Friday night. They did like it but didn't love it. It wasn't as funny as a remembered. It turns out that I learned that DH HATES Blues Brothers. He doesn't even like the music. Considering we love blues music I am rather shocked. Anyway...that is where I am at on my trip planning.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #30
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Getting close

I just purchased our tickets from Undercover Tourist.
I also made a reservation for Mythos. I didn't quite get the time I wanted but it all worked out. My advice is to a reservation 60 days in advance and not 30.

4 weeks from today I will be arriving in Orlando!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: