Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

The Views at AKL

For our next trip, I'm thinking of splurging on a deluxe resort (with the assumption we're going to get some kind of deal b/c it will be low season). I'm debating between WL and AKL but now leaning toward WL because of its proximity to MK and Epcot. But I have to admit, the savanna view seems tempting. So my question is, if you upgrade to a savanna view room at AKL, what animals are you ACTUALLY likely to see? I don't want to pay extra and wind up staring at flamingos. I'm mostly interested in the giraffes. What type of room or what area would you need to be in to have the best shot of seeing those?

And when deals like S/P/D are offered, is the discount % better on the higher priced rooms or the same no matter which AKL room you get?

Thanks!
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
mmmears
DIS Veteran

If you book a savanna room, you will see animals. We've always stayed in a room facing the Arusha savanna and have seen giraffes each time. There are different savannas and there each have some unique animals that you won't find on the others (like ostrich, red river hogs, zebras, a bongo, ankole cattle, etc.). Giraffes are plentiful at AKL. You won't just be looking at flamingos (although there are birds out there). If there is a specific animal that you really want to see from your balcony, put it in your room requests (like -- we would like to have a view of the zebras). The animals have been moved around since our first visit there, so I would request "giraffes" rather than a particular savanna.

AKL is an amazing, wonderful resort. There are animals everywhere (never a time when we went out on the balcony when we couldn't see any animals). There are viewing spots on each of the savannas, so you can go and see the animals on each of them.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Thanks!! Very helpful!
1/31-2/9/14
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
Thanks!! Very helpful!
You're welcome. Forgot to add that while WL does have good access to the MK, it's no more convenient to Epcot than AKL.

They are both nice resorts, though!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

We've stayed at Kidani, savanna view 3 times now, and everytime have had plentiful giraffes and zebras feeding outside of our room at most times, especially at night. We also saw long horned cattle, ostrich and some antelope animals. Its awesome and sooo amazingly relaxing.
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Such a tough decision! Both resorts look awesome. I'm favoring the food at WL, the views at AKL, the location of WL ... Then of course there's price. WL is less expensive when comparing a std WL room vs. a savanna view AKL room. This is going to be tough.
1/31-2/9/14
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to pipe in my two cents. If you are going to be out at parks or out touring a lot, then I would pick WL. Not that AKL is bad, but it is more a resort I would pick if I was going to spend more time at the resort. I stayed at AKL-Kidani with a savannah view that I loved. We saw giraffes and zebras every day. But I wish we had more time to actually spend at the resort to do the activities like movies under stars and pool and other stuff. We did get to do the night vision goggles to see the savannah animals which was cool. But my husband and I both agree that we like being at resorts that are closer to the parks.
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Li View Post
Just wanted to pipe in my two cents. If you are going to be out at parks or out touring a lot, then I would pick WL. Not that AKL is bad, but it is more a resort I would pick if I was going to spend more time at the resort. I stayed at AKL-Kidani with a savannah view that I loved. We saw giraffes and zebras every day. But I wish we had more time to actually spend at the resort to do the activities like movies under stars and pool and other stuff. We did get to do the night vision goggles to see the savannah animals which was cool. But my husband and I both agree that we like being at resorts that are closer to the parks.
I appreciate the input! We usually are at the parks from open to close every day of vacation but this time I was planning to set aside one full day to just spend at the resort as well as being there in the evenings most nights before the parks close. Both resorts seem to have fun activities in the afternoons, both offer massages (something new we'll try next time), and both have kids' club (again, something new we'll trying during one of our signature dinners). WL has the Sea Raycers but we did those at the Contemporary this time so that's not really a big issue. Still a very tough call.
1/31-2/9/14
Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Stayed at both with teens and we personally prefer the Wilderness Lodge. AKL, while a lovely resort, is way too isolated for us. We enjoy a resort where we can easily enter a park quickly. I feel like everyone should at least visit it though and also give Sanaa a chance!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I appreciate the input! We usually are at the parks from open to close every day of vacation but this time I was planning to set aside one full day to just spend at the resort as well as being there in the evenings most nights before the parks close. Both resorts seem to have fun activities in the afternoons, both offer massages (something new we'll try next time), and both have kids' club (again, something new we'll trying during one of our signature dinners). WL has the Sea Raycers but we did those at the Contemporary this time so that's not really a big issue. Still a very tough call.
sounds like youa re not a DVC member..same with me..when i had this decision i rented points..it will save alot of money on AKL..since WL is not DVC cant rent points for that. Just a thought..we got a studio pool view for 4 nights for $720 on this rent/trade board..check it out.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both AKL and WL - we vastly prefer AKL! We had a savanna view and enjoyed it (although their are locations all over the hotel to view the animals). WL was okay, but all we saw were trees - and honestly, the themeing reminded me too much of the area we live, so it wasn't fun.

WL does have the pro of having access to MK, while AKL is very far out of the way (and more sprawling).

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
sounds like youa re not a DVC member..same with me..when i had this decision i rented points..it will save alot of money on AKL..since WL is not DVC cant rent points for that. Just a thought..we got a studio pool view for 4 nights for $720 on this rent/trade board..check it out.
Does it save you money even if you compare to a S/P/D or FD deal? I'm totally pts illiterate. And the truth is, we have RCI exchange privileges but I have no clue how to do it.
1/31-2/9/14
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Tropics
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Does it save you money even if you compare to a S/P/D or FD deal? I'm totally pts illiterate. And the truth is, we have RCI exchange privileges but I have no clue how to do it.
It should. For us, FD or S/P/D never worked out to as much savings as room only discounts. If we wanted to have the dining plan then we would add a dining plan to a room only discount.

As an example of the potential savings with renting DVC points, we're renting DVC points for a 4 night stay at AKL in a studio room - savanna view. We initially had an AKL Arusha Savanna view room booked for the same 4 nights on a bounceback room only discount of 35% off. We are saving just over $500 for the 4 nights by renting DVC points versus the 35% off room only discount. This isn't completely an apples to apples comparison because we can't specify an Arusha view with the DVC reservation but for the savings, we're ok with that.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Such a tough decision! Both resorts look awesome. I'm favoring the food at WL, the views at AKL, the location of WL ... Then of course there's price. WL is less expensive when comparing a std WL room vs. a savanna view AKL room. This is going to be tough.
We have stayed at both resorts and would consider the Courtyard view at the same level as the AKL Savanna view. We had great stays at both. Preferred the Club better at AKL, along with the pool. Watch out for standard view, since it does include parking lots and service areas.

WDW is big and travel times can start to add up based upon your plans making location a factor: AKL to MK is around 20 minutes by bus only. WL to MK run 8 (bus)-14 (boat) minutes. WL is ideal for a trip focused on the MK and Epcot, especially if plans include special events at MK or early morning and staying until close. Remember DDP also brings in a large volume of non-resort guest every night, so the lobby/TS areas at both resorts and bus system will be busy.

AKL can provide a remote feeling as you can easily feel like a vacation inside a vacation with its theming. This can be fun for a vacation feel, but can feel remote if you are wanting Disney in the forefront of your trip. The viewing animals is a unique experience, but other deluxes offer unique experiences too. Feeding times at designated feeding stations provide the best viewing; normally when you will be getting ready in the morning. We prefer a deluxe with water recreation and multiple forms of Disney Transportation which is absent from AKL. Jiko TS is a plus for this resort. We stayed club with Arusha savannah

Sunset Savanna: Male Giraffe, Bongo, Impala, Thompsons Gazelles, Ostrich, Ankole Cattle, Waterbuck, African crown cranes, stork and blue cranes.

Arusha Savanna: Pelicans, geese, giraffe, ankole cattle, zebra, Wildebeast, eland, gemsbok (This is the Savanna in the center of the resort)

Uzima Savanna: Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles

AKL resort viewing guide http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resor...ge/animals.htm
AKL Map http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm

WL theme was not as appealing to us, since we have done extensive travel in the Northwest Rockies and seeing it in Florida with Spanish Moss was different. Overall, the theme is well done with the exception of the "geyser." Nice resort, good location, would rate the bus transportation better than AKL in our experiences. The MK boat provides an alternative to return to your resort. Electric Water Pageant and the ability to see MK fireworks adds to the experience. The marina allows you to rent boats and experience the MK area. Other options are also close by at the CR marina. AKL can make some people feel a little too remote, but WL can make some feel you are the black sheep of the monorail resort, but it is priced accordingly.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

So much great information! Thank you!!!

I'm a researchaholic when it comes to vacation planning so more info is better than less.

Although, I'm still not certain. If I can get a really good DVC deal on AKL, that may make the decision for me. I guess I need to look into that next. Is it better to do that privately here or through RCI (assuming DVC trades through RCI?)?
1/31-2/9/14

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: