Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Just joining in to offer what advice and support I can. I am a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed in my early 20s. I agree with the advice offered here, and personally I find that the activity at WDW keeps numbers lower than they otherwise would be. Test test test, and carry plenty of low snack. My current favorite is Welch's fruit snacks, since they come in small bags and I can carry a few in my pocket and they don't melt or get gross. I really enjoy my treats at Disney, and by monitoring and taking for special treats (including ice cream) I find I can have what I want. Again nothing is forbidden, just everything has to be accounted for and managed. My Wife likes the term "dumping," we will use that now. It does happen. Another tip for the future along the lines of testing is look seriously into a CGM (continuous meter). Our last trip to Disney was my first with one, and it really helps stay on top of things. My wife literally sleeps better at night now that I have it and it takes care of alerting me about dropping blood sugar.

I use a neoprene case for my pens, and it is actually a sunglasses case from Disney World. It keeps them somewhat insulated, although I make sure to only carry one pen at a time with me to avoid potential heat damage to multiple pens. I bought a Frio case for our last trip and it seems neat, but I didn't end up needing it and we were there in September. I keep plenty of spare pens in the fridge in the room, and did well with my in use pens in their neoprene case in my pocket or backpack.

Good luck, enjoy your trip, and be reassured that she can enjoy the wonderful food and treats at WDW despite being diabetic. With patience and testing, it will be fine for everybody.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

My DD11 was just diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I know what you are going through. We are also going in August. Right now my DW and I feel like we are running on fumes and at times in a dream. I'm looking forward to the day when this all becomes a bit routine. We have been told its coming but we just can't imagine it.

I wish you all the luck and comfort in the world and feel free to PM if you ever need to vent/chat etc.

Jay
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
My DD11 was just diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I know what you are going through. We are also going in August. Right now my DW and I feel like we are running on fumes and at times in a dream. I'm looking forward to the day when this all becomes a bit routine. We have been told its coming but we just can't imagine it.

I wish you all the luck and comfort in the world and feel free to PM if you ever need to vent/chat etc.

Jay
We were like that too at first. It does become more routine after a few months and carb counting becomes almost second nature......life has become a series of continuous math problems!

The advice offered here on DISboards makes me feel a little better about Disney and type 1 diabetes. The thing I am taking most to heart is to test, test, test!

For those of you with experience with T1D in the Florida heat, do you think that a GAC is necessary? Will the heat have that much of an effect on her levels? Or is it just that we can't risk her being in line for an extended period of time? I hadn't even considered one of these but perhaps it might be a good idea to have in case we absolutely needed it.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about a pocket sized book for carb counting that would be easy to tote around? Something that would include carbs plus fibre information would be ideal.
off-site 1987, off-site 1991, Pop Century-Nov 2008, Pop Century-Aug 2009, POFQ-Aug 2010, POR/RPR-Aug 2011, Universal's RPR/Vacation Villa-Aug 2012, Vacation Villa-Aug 2013, 1D trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls-Aug 2014, Universal's RPR/Vacation Villa-Aug 2015

Last edited by anorman; 02-25-2013 at 07:38 AM.
anorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorman View Post
We were like that too at first. It does become more routine after a few months and carb counting becomes almost second nature......life has become a series of continuous math problems!

The advice offered here on DISboards makes me feel a little better about Disney and type 1 diabetes. The thing I am taking most to heart is to test, test, test!

For those of you with experience with T1D in the Florida heat, do you think that a GAC is necessary? Will the heat have that much of an effect on her levels? Or is it just that we can't risk her being in line for an extended period of time? I hadn't even considered one of these but perhaps it might be a good idea to have in case we absolutely needed it.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about a pocket sized book for carb counting that would be easy to tote around? Something that would include carbs plus fibre information would be ideal.
Not sure if you have a phone that supports Apps but we have the Calorie King App on our iPhones and it is a life saver!!

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Jay
jakeybake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
Not sure if you have a phone that supports Apps but we have the Calorie King App on our iPhones and it is a life saver!!

Jay
We do have an android but the problem is we live in Canada and the data roaming fees are astronomical when we travel outside the country. This is why the book would probably work better for us.
off-site 1987, off-site 1991, Pop Century-Nov 2008, Pop Century-Aug 2009, POFQ-Aug 2010, POR/RPR-Aug 2011, Universal's RPR/Vacation Villa-Aug 2012, Vacation Villa-Aug 2013, 1D trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls-Aug 2014, Universal's RPR/Vacation Villa-Aug 2015
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We do have an android but the problem is we live in Canada and the data roaming fees are astronomical when we travel outside the country. This is why the book would probably work better for us.
Calorie King has a book as well. We keep it in the car just in case.

Hope this helps!
Jay
jakeybake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WiFi is now pretty ubiquitous* around the guest areas, so as long as you're on WiFi and not your cell data service, you should be able to avoid any additional charges and get all the Internet access you need.

*Inside some ride buildings you may be out of luck, but I've had good luck everywhere outside, and in every restaurant where I've tried. Resort hotels are especially well-blanketed.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post
WiFi is now pretty ubiquitous* around the guest areas, so as long as you're on WiFi and not your cell data service, you should be able to avoid any additional charges and get all the Internet access you need.

*Inside some ride buildings you may be out of luck, but I've had good luck everywhere outside, and in every restaurant where I've tried. Resort hotels are especially well-blanketed.
Are the theme parks making wifi available to guests? If so, I'll have to get that app.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

Quote:

I don't think a GAC is necessary. But you could always get one at any time during your trip if you find the lines and heat are too much for her. Everyone's different (diabetes aside, some people just can't take that much heat).
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
jrsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ice cream does tend to send her readings through the roof but if her carb requirements are increased, then she should be able to enjoy these like she did on our past trips! I KNOW she will be happy to know this since it was one of the things we all very much looked forward to in the hot, hot, hot August heat.
I am not type 1, but type 2. It runs in the family and I was diagnosed the day before leaving for s Disney trip. I was just going to comment on your ice cream comment. I can have ice cream, a small serving and it doesn't spike my numbers. I usually have about 1/4 to 1/2 cup as my evening snack. Because it is both a carb and a protein it breaks down slower than something that is a straight carb. When in Disney, I tend to splurge a little because of all of the extra walking and I sometimes hit the gym. Everyone is different and there might be certain trigger foods that can bother her more than others. One of my favorite foods is pasta I found dreamfields low carb pasta to be a great solution. I can make all of my favorite pasta dishes and not have my numbers spike.

Again, I have found for me that I can basically eat whatever I want within reason and be careful with portion control. By doing this I have been able to keep my numbers in a very good range.

Good luck and have a great trip!
jrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
anorman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I don't think a GAC is necessary. But you could always get one at any time during your trip if you find the lines and heat are too much for her. Everyone's different (diabetes aside, some people just can't take that much heat).
We have plenty of experience with the August heat having been to Florida 4 times previously in August. Yes it is very hot but with careful planning and lots of fluids we have coped pretty well. This being our first time to Disney since her diagnosis last September, I don't know what to expect and I just don't want her to have negative effects from the heat masking a possible low. You know, the sweating, lightheadedness/dizziness, increased heart rate, headache all are common symptoms of being overheated AND low blood sugar.
If we can avoid the overheating with the GAC perhaps it might be worthwhile to get so that she can avoid extended time in the summer Florida heat.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
anorman
DIS Veteran

We are now less than 2 weeks before we arrive in Florida. I'm just bumping this thread to see if there is any further advice out there for coping with my DD10 in Disney who has Type 1 Diabetes. Also, I was wondering how the glucometers function in the heat of a Florida summer? I know that they will not work in the extreme cold (the battery freezes up). Will the heat affect it also?

The closer we get, the more nervous I become.

Last edited by anorman; 08-02-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
Soccerpooh
When they move Margaritaville to WDW, then it really will be the happiest place on Earth!

We just returned 2 days ago from our first trip since our DD8 was diagnosed T1D 18 months ago. I was so nervous, even though we have taken over 15 trips to WDW, but we did it! She did great- found she ran on the low side more often, but I am sure it was because of all the walking and pool time. I adjusted her long- lasting insulin a smidge, upped the carbs a bit at snack time, and that seemed to help. We tested about every two hours. Had no problems with her meter, but we packed a back up just in case. We used a FRIO- it was exactly what we needed to keep her Insulin pens, test strips, and Glucagon pen at room temp, so they wouldn't cook in the heat.
As far as carbs, all the snacks at the ice cream carts have nutrition labels, as does the grapes, milk and Uncrustable pb&j sandwiches you get in the the kids meals. Otherwise, we have become pretty good a estimating carbs in restaurant foods, based on chain restaurants who do post their nutritional values.
We did not get a GAC. With Fastpasses we had very few waits, and almost all lines anymore are shaded, or inside. If you have any specifif questions, please ask. The 2 weeks prior to leaving I went back and forth between "We got this, we can do it" and "What in the world are we doing, going to WDW in July with a diabetic for 10 days?"! But I knew we could not let Diabetes control us, and we needed to live our lives as normal as possible, just in a new way. We had a great time!

Soccerpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
Laura
Wonders if the Tag Fairy takes requests?
Vegetarians unite!
Only uses the "best rigging"

Quote:
We are now less than 2 weeks before we arrive in Florida. I'm just bumping this thread to see if there is any further advice out there for coping with my DD10 in Disney who has Type 1 Diabetes. Also, I was wondering how the glucometers function in the heat of a Florida summer? I know that they will not work in the extreme cold (the battery freezes up). Will the heat affect it also?

The closer we get, the more nervous I become.
The meter should be fine; DH has always only been concerned with the temperature of his insulin. Stay calm. You'll be fine, just take it easy.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
cnjmom
Mouseketeer

I've been T1 for 29 years; I was diagnosed when I was 16. I've been to Disney about half a dozen times as a T1, but never as a child so I can't really comment on kids' meals.

Regarding some of the things discussed here:
  • I always carry my own snacks, no matter where I go. I just feel better having something on me in case I'm stuck in line or somewhere where I can't get a snack quickly. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have a Disney snack as a planned treat.
  • The heat itself doesn't seem to affect my blood sugar levels. The increased activity does, though, so I do monitor my levels more than I do at home (at home is 4-6x a day). Based on my own experience, I will say that checking blood sugar levels right before you sit at a lengthy attraction might be a good idea. When I was 19, I had a hypoglyemic reaction during the Hall of Presidents and I'm thinking that if we had just been walking around, I would have realized it sooner.
  • I haven't had an issue with my meter with the heat. As you've noted, I have seen it act a bit strange when it's cold, though.
  • On one of our trips, it was a bit of a challenge because we decided to go to Disney after our ADR window had opened and some of the times for our ADRs were a bit later than the times we ate at home. (I wanted my DD to have a princess meal and the only time I could get was around 8 PM.) I've been diabetic long enough to know how to juggle that, but when it's all still so new, it can be stressful. Do you have ADRs?

How long has your DD between T1? I do remember the first vacation (not to Disney) that my family took after I was diagnosed. It was a bit nerve-wracking, because I had only been diagnosed a few weeks earlier and everything was still very new and overwhelming. I am sure it is stressful. The biggest tip I can give is to just check those levels more frequently than normal and you won't miss any lows. I'm also guessing that after a day or two, your family will relax a bit.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
cnjmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: