Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Upgrading to APs Question

hey guys, have already had some help on this, but I need some clarifications.

SO, I was told I can take my 10 day park hoppers, and on the day I enter the park, head to guest services and upgrad to APs at the the cost of the difference.

OK, here is a secondary question.

Does it HAVE to be the first day !? ...

My wife (read, the real shot caller) is CONSIDERING the upgrade, IF, if ... we want to book a Bounce back.

I have the feeling she might not be convinced to book BB until we are a few days into our trip. Right now she is worried about how much more it will cost etc. But once this trip is paid off and we are there, and we have had a few days of the 'magic' I know she will want to book BB.

Can we upgrade at any time, for the same cost ??? or would we have to do it the first day if we are trying to save the difference ?

Many thanks in advance.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I did mine on the second to last day of our 8 day trip. My understanding is to make sure you have entered the parks with the tickets at least once before upgrading.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

You can upgrade on any of your park days. Just be sure to use your tickets to enter a park first. This procedure, called "price bridging," raises the value of your tickets to current gate price. In case you had paid a discount price for the tickets, or you purchased your tickets before a ticket price increase, bridging means you get to keep your discount. Make sure to know what the current gate price of your ticket is, and what the current gate price is for the ticket you are upgrading to. Add 6.5% tax. On occasion a CM will mistakenly neglect to do the price bridging. Move on to another employee and/or another location if you can't get resolution.

The reason it doesn't matter which day you do your upgrade is b/c your AP will be dated from the first day you used your tickets. So in that sense, you get full value for your tickets no matter which day you upgrade.

Current ticket gate prices are in Post 18 of "Everything About WDW Tickets." There's lots of good ticket info to read, written by a Disney ticketing CM. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
hey guys, have already had some help on this, but I need some clarifications.

SO, I was told I can take my 10 day park hoppers, and on the day I enter the park, head to guest services and upgrad to APs at the the cost of the difference.

OK, here is a secondary question.

Does it HAVE to be the first day !? ...

My wife (read, the real shot caller) is CONSIDERING the upgrade, IF, if ... we want to book a Bounce back.

I have the feeling she might not be convinced to book BB until we are a few days into our trip. Right now she is worried about how much more it will cost etc. But once this trip is paid off and we are there, and we have had a few days of the 'magic' I know she will want to book BB.

Can we upgrade at any time, for the same cost ??? or would we have to do it the first day if we are trying to save the difference ?

Many thanks in advance.
You certainly can do this. Note, however, that you will miss out on some of the AP benefits--merchandise discounts, Tables in Wonderland card for dining discounts, etc.--until you do the upgrade. The advantage of upgrading early is that you could take advantage of those benefits on your first trip.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Folks, just want to say thank you all so much.

This is what I love about these boards, ask a simple question, get such great responses from people just looking to help others out.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
You certainly can do this. Note, however, that you will miss out on some of the AP benefits--merchandise discounts, Tables in Wonderland card for dining discounts, etc.--until you do the upgrade. The advantage of upgrading early is that you could take advantage of those benefits on your first trip.
This is exactly what I was going to mention. I was told I could upgrade to AP within 14 days of using our tickets but then I would miss out on the dining, shopping and tour discounts we hope to use. I even ended up changing our resort reservation because the AP discount was better than the Spring Offer we booked with.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
This is exactly what I was going to mention. I was told I could upgrade to AP within 14 days of using our tickets but then I would miss out on the dining, shopping and tour discounts we hope to use. I even ended up changing our resort reservation because the AP discount was better than the Spring Offer we booked with.
Hey guys, one more question, we Are stayign for 13 days, if we upgrade our tickets to APs on the 13th day, does the Year start that day ???? or does it start from the day our 10day park hoppers were activated !?

TIA
Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey guys, one more question, we Are stayign for 13 days, if we upgrade our tickets to APs on the 13th day, does the Year start that day ???? or does it start from the day our 10day park hoppers were activated !?

TIA
I believe it starts from the day your hoppers were activated. Don't forget to bring photo ID when you upgrade for APs. I personally wouldn't wait till the last day to upgrade. Lets say, the system goes down ( I know never happens at Disney huh?) or you forget to bring your photo ID, or something, it is a lot of stress on the last day, and leaving it to the last minute.

I can't remember the post, it was awhile ago but someone waiied till the last day to do this and something went wrong and was unable to. Sorry I can't remember the details surrounding the incident.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Change tickets up to 14 days of using the ticket. AP date will be moved back to the first day of you activated your ticket.
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Theme Parks board.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraletta View Post
Change tickets up to 14 days of using the ticket. AP date will be moved back to the first day of you activated your ticket.
The anniversary date has to move back to the date of the first day that you used your original ticket.
That's what makes it a ticket "upgrade."

Otherwise, you'd have to buy a brand new AP.

An "upgrade" makes things as though you had purchased the kind of ticket that you "upgraded TO"
from the beginning.
(In this case, it makes things as though you had bought and started using an AP from the beginning
of your trip.)

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Thanks all for the replies, just wanted to clarify. Makes a difference for us as to whether we can get APs and then return next year at the same time (the best time for us) or try to squeeze something in within the year ....

Thank you all as usual !
Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Robo

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies, just wanted to clarify. Makes a difference for us as to whether we can get APs and then return next year at the same time (the best time for us) or try to squeeze something in within the year ....

Yours is one of the most common questions about AP's.
Many guests want to visit at the same time over multiple years
and want to find a way to stretch one AP to two years' trips.

The solution of waiting to upgrade to AP at the end of one trip to
make the AP still valid for another trip of the same dates the next year
doesn't work.

So, many guests vary the dates of their trips by X days on alternate years and time their trips to fit the one-year AP window.
Example: In 2008, trip dates June 20-27. In 2009, trip dates June 13-20
(Or June 14-21... Since many guests don't enter a theme park on their last day, they can even let the AP expire
on the previous to last day.)

That will get them two trips at roughly similar dates using only one AP.

They only need to buy a new AP every other year.

Last edited by Robo; 03-17-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Fairly certain that this changed. You now need to change tickets while you still have an active admission. So I believe it is now prior to park close on the last day you can enter a park, or 14 days whichever is sooner (in the case of a non-expire)

I'd read through the awesome ticket sticky to clarify most ticketing related questions.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Robo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountdew1 View Post

1- Fairly certain that this changed.

2- You now need to change tickets while you still have an active admission.

3- So I believe it is now prior to park close on the last day you can enter a park, or 14 days whichever is sooner (in the case of a non-expire)
1- In some cases, yes (but not all cases.)

2- If your ticket was purchased independent of a WDW resort package, yes.

3- Correct, in the case of my #2 above.
HOWEVER, if your tickets WERE purchased as part of a WDW resort package,
and they are on your KTTW (resort key) card, they will have your NAME printed on them (by Disney.)
In that case, you will have the full 14 days to decide to upgrade those tickets, even if you used their last ticket asset multiple days previous.
All you need is to show a legal photo ID and that ticket can still be upgraded.

You can see as you work your way down into the minute rules of tickets, that there are lots of little details that can
be difficult to follow.
That's also why Cheshire Figment's Ticket Sticky (at the top of this forum) is so very, very large and dense with information
(and gets multiple updates every year.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: